Skipper23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all
looking at degree options and medicinal chemistry looks interesting. If i picked this would it considerably limit job opotunities at the end? I don't study maths would i be seriously hindered in this degree as i've been told i would struggle with chemistry.

thanks
skipper
Dan1909
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Often medicinal chemistry contains the same core subjects as straight chemistry, and just all your optional choices are pre-picked to the medicinal modules. However, pretty much every decent university will offer some form of maths tuition/lectures to those doing chemistry who need them, so I really wouldn't let that put you off.

But for the choice, yes it will affect your job opportunities at the end. I'm not saying it'll be positive or negative, as that depends on what you want to do. If you want to go into work doing medical based stuff, then it'll be a massive advantage over straight chemistry, however if you want to work in a more standard, non-medical area, then it'll be quite a disadvantage over somebody who did a pure chemistry degree.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you want a career in medical chemistry you should be looking at pharmacology or pharmacy.
Dan1909
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
If you want a career in medical chemistry you should be looking at pharmacology or pharmacy.
Surely that depends. Each degree choice will lead to different employment prospects. For example if he wanted to go into drug discovery and development then medicinal chemistry would be perfect.

But yes, it's another option for him to look at .
cdoyle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Skipper23)
Hi all
looking at degree options and medicinal chemistry looks interesting. If i picked this would it considerably limit job opotunities at the end? I don't study maths would i be seriously hindered in this degree as i've been told i would struggle with chemistry.

thanks
skipper
I was told I would struggle with medicinal chemistry because its chemistry even though I did Chemistry A level. this person never did chemistry A level.
jamedz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Skipper23)
Hi all

thanks
skipper
Yeah you get maths tuition up to A level standard so that you're able to do the physical chemistry aspects. This includes basic differentiation and integration mainly for the first year stuff. You might struggle more with straight chemistry as they tend to do more pure maths units whereas medicinal chemists go much deeper into the relevant life sciences instead. And yeah it's a really interesting degree, I enjoy the variation rather than studying chemistry all the time you can dip into pharmacology and physiology modules and see how chemistry really affects the body. In terms of job prospects it won't have too much of an impact if you want to do a straight chemistry related job, I just wanted to do it so that I could keep in touch with the biology and not let it get rusty while im filling my head with chemistry!
cdoyle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
oh dear I didnt do Maths A level- think I might struggle. what about doing Maths AS level night class but then theres Mechanics I would fail that even if I didnt do the exams I already have 7ASs? um possibility. I used to be good at maths but since circle theorms and those Z rule things in triangles I just lost interest and hope.
RobG93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Not true.

Most pharmaceuticals will employ people who have PhDs in Organic Chemistry, and more specifically people who have experience in natural product synthesis. Which is directly applicable to Drug design and synthesis in research.

People with Pharmacology degrees tend to work in Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, the study of how the drug interacts, and how its metabolised within the body.
Inkerman
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Elwyn)
Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Medicinal chemistry =/= medical chemistry.

A big fraction of medicinal chemistry graduates will end up working as synthetic organic chemists, analytical chemists or development chemists for pharmaceutical companies. And a large fraction of those will have PhD's.

You clearly don't even know what medicinal chemistry is.
venus89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello every one. I am 1st year student of Medicinal Chemistry MA degree. I'd like to know about P.H.D programs of this major in UK and how can I apply for reputable universities, does anyone know? Thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads