The Student Room Group

Hospital Pre-reg applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hoorriiaa
Anyone have any idea about Brighton calculation test? I have already done it online as a part of admission procedure now they will take in uni as well plus two weeks program in uni ....:frown: what's all dat and what's its significance plz explain

Its normally 5 questions and you do not need to show working out.
Reply 41
anybody applying to or have any advice with regards to hospitals in the Northwest?
Reply 42
I'm applying to Pharmalife, I've nearly completed my application and just looking for some advice really as I'm applying from Scotland and we aren't informed much about this system.

I'm thinking of applying to Chelsea and Westminster, Imperial, Brighton and Sussex University and Newcastle. I keep seeing people talking about starred hospitals, how do I determine if these hospitals are?

Any other advice on better areas more likely to have less competition would be great please, difficult choosing when you dont know the areas that well :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by patsy
I'm applying to Pharmalife, I've nearly completed my application and just looking for some advice really as I'm applying from Scotland and we aren't informed much about this system.

I'm thinking of applying to Chelsea and Westminster, Imperial, Brighton and Sussex University and Newcastle. I keep seeing people talking about starred hospitals, how do I determine if these hospitals are?

Any other advice on better areas more likely to have less competition would be great please, difficult choosing when you dont know the areas that well :smile:

Pharmalife opted not to use the star system this year, but some of the regional pages give information about how many applications per post their hospitals received over the last three years. I would say all the hospitals you are considering would be popular choices with pre-reg applicants. You might want to consider applying to one or two smaller hospitals.

Ideally you would visit any hospitals you are going to apply to, but that might not be practical for you travelling from Scotland! If you haven't done so already it would be a good idea to speak to a pre-reg tutor at any hospitals you are interested in to have a chat about their training programme, etc.

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 44
Thanks for the info. Ill have a look at some other hospitals, I would love a London place.

Should I rank my choices or is it better to leave un ranked ?
Reply 45
There is no ranking this year either, so you don't need to make that decision.
Reply 46
Original post by Choc Ice
There is no ranking this year either, so you don't need to make that decision.

thanks for the info, just sent my application there. Changed a few hospitals, hopefully a few interviews come through :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by patsy
thanks for the info, just sent my application there. Changed a few hospitals, hopefully a few interviews come through :smile:

Well done for getting it finished. Now all you have to do is wait! At least it is only a week or two until you should hear something. Good luck!
Reply 48
Hey all!

I just sent in my application and I applied for:

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Great Ormond Street Hospital For Children
Northwest London NHS Trust
Royal Brompton & Harefield

Does anyone know how competitive these are? I know about Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, but not the others. I would very much appreciate an answer.

All the best everyone with your applications! I hope you all get the one you want the most! :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Mubs
anybody applying to or have any advice with regards to hospitals in the Northwest?

Hey Mubs! Yeah I applied to the Northwest. I don't know much about it except that it is one of the biggest and busiest health trusts in the capital, and thus why I chose it. I am an EU student so I don't know much about different places in the UK and so I only applied to the capital. Have you found out much information about it?
Which other hospitals are you applying to/ have applied to? All the best wishes! :smile:
Reply 50
I am sooo upset right now. I cannot believe that I deleted my St. George hosp app last minute, and it was actually my FIRST choice. I see through this site: http://www.pharmalife.co.uk/pagetemp/tinymce/uploaded/regional/D/documents/Applications%20data%2010-11-12%20per%20region%20London010520121335884036.pdf that they actually don't get as many applications, and not as competitive. I actually had a shot! I want to seriously break down and cry. oh my God, why did I do that?!?!?! :frown: It has always been the hospital that I have wanted to apply to since first beginning, and I don't know what the hell went into me in my sleep drepivation this morning when I just suddenly decided to change :frown: :frown: :frown:.
Reply 51
Original post by Tzoeule
Hey all!

I just sent in my application and I applied for:

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
Great Ormond Street Hospital For Children
Northwest London NHS Trust
Royal Brompton & Harefield

Does anyone know how competitive these are? I know about Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, but not the others. I would very much appreciate an answer.

All the best everyone with your applications! I hope you all get the one you want the most! :smile:

If you look at this page from Pharmalife:
http://www.pharmalife.co.uk/pagetemp/tinymce/uploaded/regional/D/documents/Applications%20data%2010-11-12%20per%20region%20London010520121335884036.pdf
You can get an idea of the applicants to places ratio for the past three years. Good luck with your applications!
Reply 52
Original post by Choc Ice
If you look at this page from Pharmalife:
http://www.pharmalife.co.uk/pagetemp/tinymce/uploaded/regional/D/documents/Applications%20data%2010-11-12%20per%20region%20London010520121335884036.pdf
You can get an idea of the applicants to places ratio for the past three years. Good luck with your applications!

Thanks a lot Choc Ice. Do you have any idea when we find out if we've been short-listed for interviews in the London area? Which hospitals did you apply to? Thanks and best of luck with yours too! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Tzoeule
Thanks a lot Choc Ice. Do you have any idea when we find out if we've been short-listed for interviews in the London area? Which hospitals did you apply to? Thanks and best of luck with yours too! :smile:

Hey Tzoeule, Imperial, Great Ormond Street and Royal Brompton I think are quite compeitive but im not too sure about northwest.
I have applied to Croydon University, Epsom and St Helier, Royal Marsden and Chelsea and Westminster.
Do not be too upset about not applying to St Georges. It is a really good hospital to work at as far as I know, but you have applied to 4 good hospitals and hopefully you will a place at one of them.
If you look on the pharmalife website it tells you when some interviews are taking place so they will contact you before those dates to let you know if you have been short listed.
Good luck, hope it goes well for you!
Wait, what? You don't have to rank the hospitals in order?

Woops... I thought you had to. Oh well, nowt I can do about it now.
Reply 55
Original post by ShaziaHK
Hey Tzoeule, Imperial, Great Ormond Street and Royal Brompton I think are quite compeitive but im not too sure about northwest.
I have applied to Croydon University, Epsom and St Helier, Royal Marsden and Chelsea and Westminster.
Do not be too upset about not applying to St Georges. It is a really good hospital to work at as far as I know, but you have applied to 4 good hospitals and hopefully you will a place at one of them.
If you look on the pharmalife website it tells you when some interviews are taking place so they will contact you before those dates to let you know if you have been short listed.
Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

Hey ShaziaHK. Foremost Thank you for your reply! I hope you get a place with one of these hospitals too. :smile:
Yeah you're right - at the end of the day I just want a pre-reg with hospital in London really, so I'm trying not to be too upset about it. And besides it's done now and I can't go back.
Thank you, yeah I have seen the interview dates - do you have any idea how long before the interviews they contact us if we get shortlisted? Maybe it's different for everyone. But I assume they don't contact us like the day before? I am asking as I am not a UK student but an EU student and so I am home for the summer, and so I won't be coming back until I know if I have gotten an interview and thus will have to buy my ticket when I know.
Reply 56
I just received an email from pharmalife there and an interview for the Royal Marsden :biggrin:
Original post by patsy
I just received an email from pharmalife there and an interview for the Royal Marsden :biggrin:

Wow that's great! Well done for getting an interview! When is your interview date? I keep checking my email and pharmalife. It feels like UCAS all over again :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by patsy

Wow, that was quick! Big congratulations on getting an interview! Well done, and all the best wishes for the interview! :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by Tzoeule
Wow, that was quick! Big congratulations on getting an interview! Well done, and all the best wishes for the interview! :biggrin:

Thanks I wasn't expecting to hear so soon either, thought it would be further into september

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending