The Student Room Group

IB or A-level

I would just like to know, whether applicants with IB have a better chance of getting into a medical school than applicants with A-levels.

Thanks.
It doesn't matter either way because both will need to take chemistry and probably biology as well. If you want to take 3 sciences in IB you need to apply for a special diploma.

Either way, it doesn't matter. There's no real preference. Take either.
No difference. A-levels are more conventional but they obviously are in all areas.
Reply 3
Don´t bother with IB if you know what you want to do. Yes you become more of an all rounder and it´s a great course, but there really is no benefit otherwise, and unis don´t look at your application in a more positive light.. You´ll end up in the same place with A-levels than with IB, so just save yourself the extra work!
Nope... the only real factor that instantly pre-disposes your chances of getting in is whether you are a Home/EU student or an international (due to place allocation quotas). Provided you have eligible qualifications, you are treated on equal ground to all those under the same domicile status as you are, IB/A-Level/CIE etc.
Reply 5
Original post by cmkable
Don´t bother with IB if you know what you want to do. Yes you become more of an all rounder and it´s a great course, but there really is no benefit otherwise, and unis don´t look at your application in a more positive light.. You´ll end up in the same place with A-levels than with IB, so just save yourself the extra work!

Are you implying that IB is more work than 3 A-levels and 1 AS?
Original post by Giggy88

Many people do. Many because of the extra things that you have to do.
Reply 7
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Many people do. Many because of the extra things that you have to do.

I'd figured it's more breadth. But I didn't think there is as much detail to it as in A level. e.g. IB higher chemistry= A level chem
Original post by Giggy88
I'd figured it's more breadth. But I didn't think there is as much detail to it as in A level. e.g. IB higher chemistry= A level chem

Eh, in the end it doesn't really matter. It's dependent on how the universities view it in the end.

There's no point in arguing over it.
Original post by Alexandra's Box
No difference. A-levels are more conventional but they obviously are in all areas.

Original post by chickenonsteroids
It doesn't matter either way because both will need to take chemistry and probably biology as well. If you want to take 3 sciences in IB you need to apply for a special diploma.

Either way, it doesn't matter. There's no real preference. Take either.

Both of you have rabbits in your sig :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by Giggy88

Well... we do do six subjects, as opposed to 3 and a half, on top of Extended Essays, 150 hours of CAS and TOK. And in terms of depth, yes, perhaps A levels cover more material, but the workload for IB is pretty intense and you don´t hear universities complaining about the lack of knowledge of IB students. Additionally, by the time we get to exams, we have two years worth of material to revise, which you don´t get in A-levels.
Original post by Giggy88

i agree, that is why the 3 higher subjects are usually related to the course u want in uni.. like i do chem and bio higher since i want medicine. the standard level subjects dont have as much depth but rnt easy at all. the workload is fierce and intense and the time is very restricted at some points, so in terms of work yes in IB u do much more work and it is a more difficult program to finish, which is why 3A's in A levels are equivalent to abt 36 IB points. IB is out of 45 and 45 points is an equivalent of 4A*'s in A levels.
Reply 12
Original post by aeyurttaser13
i agree, that is why the 3 higher subjects are usually related to the course u want in uni.. like i do chem and bio higher since i want medicine. the standard level subjects dont have as much depth but rnt easy at all. the workload is fierce and intense and the time is very restricted at some points, so in terms of work yes in IB u do much more work and it is a more difficult program to finish, which is why 3A's in A levels are equivalent to abt 36 IB points. IB is out of 45 and 45 points is an equivalent of 4A*'s in A levels.

It sounds like an awful lot of work. To be honest, I probably couldn't be as motivated as others in an IB course, because there are so many subjects that you have to do, even if you don't like them. And I generally do really bad in things that I don't have any interest in, even if they are quite simple (psychology :rolleyes:).
Original post by Giggy88
It sounds like an awful lot of work. To be honest, I probably couldn't be as motivated as others in an IB course, because there are so many subjects that you have to do, even if you don't like them. And I generally do really bad in things that I don't have any interest in, even if they are quite simple (psychology :rolleyes:).

i totally agree.. the only subject i didn't want to to was business sl.. and although it is very easy in sl, i just can't be motivated to study so i never get a really good grade in it.. i wanted psychology tbh but my school doesn't have a lot of subject choices outside the classic subjects :tongue: btw motivation is a different thing, i wasn't very motivated to study throughout this school year until like feb, where i admitted to myself that my future was dependent on the IB, so with all the work motivation is always so difficult and procrastination is at its fullest :colondollar:
Original post by Giggy88

Errr...yes....but you are doing 3 HLs and 3 SLs and all the other stuff the IB makes you do...
Original post by Giggy88

btw forgot to say :tongue: it isnt always the case, like math standard is equal to a level math.. and higher math is like a level math and further maths, even a little more difficult :tongue: but the rest mostly true, like chem and bio higher r like a level chem and bio
But for the OP, I do IB (first exam tomorrow,.... clearly nothing better to do than post on TSR haha!)

From my point of view, I can't see doing IB as having given anyone a specific advantage. IMO in all other subjects, the IB is usually reasonably advantageous once you stray outside of the top 10 in the UK. They tend to give reasonable attainable offers, around 37 ish. But for Oxbridge, I personally believe IB is a disadvantage, you just don't cover your course choice in enough detail, which can cause problems at interview.

In terms of medicine, I don't feel it disadvantaged me or was advantageous. For the unis I applied to, I felt like other factors were always taking more importance than IB vs A levels. I don't personally feel you get an advantage for medicine. If you are highly academically orientated, IB is good, but it is not good if you want to say do 3 sciences, or just want to do Bio Chem Maths, which is fair enough (I wanted to!). Back to the point, Imperial, basically everything was irrelevant apart from BMAT. KCL, was GCSEs and UKCAT, UCL was BMAT and everything tbh. The only place I felt it gave an advantage was at Barts, because they used a UCAS tariff points system, which is HEAVILY IB biased (just about the only thing in the world ....) which basically meant that everyone I knew doing IB got an interview, whereas those with 3As at A level (achieved!) at A-Level sometimes didn't. This is because 38 (the min required for Barts) was equivalent to something like 500 points I think, which was equivalent to a handful of A*s at A level.... But Bart's are supposedly changing this system as they have recognised this flaw.

I would personally stick with A-Level, unless you actually really enjoy English and Maths and Humanities AND Science :smile:

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending