The Student Room Group

Would law be good?

Hi, for sixth form I plan on taking pyschology, sociology, law and English literature, however I've been told if I wanted to do a law degree in university, it's best I don't choose law as an A-level. I've been considering this for a little while now and am unsure about what to do. Sometimes when I think about it, I think law would be great because it means I'll be able to learn some important things about things such as a crime and whatever..but then I think about it and think that if law isn't really going to be useful, should I take law as a degree, I might as well do RE which I got my B in overall, I do enjoy RE but I have an interest in the law..should I take it or should I just choose RE?

Reply 1
Original post by Safiya122
Hi, for sixth form I plan on taking pyschology, sociology, law and English literature, however I've been told if I wanted to do a law degree in university, it's best I don't choose law as an A-level. I've been considering this for a little while now and am unsure about what to do. Sometimes when I think about it, I think law would be great because it means I'll be able to learn some important things about things such as a crime and whatever..but then I think about it and think that if law isn't really going to be useful, should I take law as a degree, I might as well do RE which I got my B in overall, I do enjoy RE but I have an interest in the law..should I take it or should I just choose RE?

I don't do law but I have heard many times that what you learn in law a level isn't correct or useful for university. Universities look at law as if its a soft subject.

RE is also viewed as a soft subject. I think you'd be better off picking maths to be honest that would help you a lot.
Reply 2
Original post by drewb
I don't do law but I have heard many times that what you learn in law a level isn't correct or useful for university. Universities look at law as if its a soft subject.

RE is also viewed as a soft subject. I think you'd be better off picking maths to be honest that would help you a lot.

Not true - in short, it's fine as a third. Also, to save me typing it again, here is a post I made on A Level Law a while back.

Original post by Safiya122

There's no harm in doing Law A2, and as Nick McBride points out in "Letters to a Law Student" (good book, by the way - I can recommend it!), there's nothing worse than going to university to study law without knowing what it entails, then finding that you don't enjoy it. Make sure you read my post on how the A2 has helped me when studying law at university too!

In terms of research, I'd suggest reading the following books to give you a flavour:

Letters to a Law Student (Nick McBride)

What About Law? (Graham Virgo, Catherine Barnard, Janet O'Sullivan)

Learning the Law, 11th Edition (Glanville Williams) - there's actually a newer edition, but the editor changed and I'm told it's more confusing

I'd also apply for the Cambridge Law Conference (applications open around Christmas, I think) and the Sutton Trust Law summer school to see what studying law at university is like.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 3
I study Law now and I second what Tortious said.

While I didn't do Law at A Level, the people that did already knew the basics of certain modules so could come to grasp with the content abit easier.

Plus if I knew what Law was like, I think i would have stayed away :redface: Lol
Reply 4
Original post by killa78
I study Law now and I second what Tortious said.

While I didn't do Law at A Level, the people that did already knew the basics of certain modules so could come to grasp with the content abit easier.

Plus if I knew what Law was like, I think i would have stayed away :redface: Lol

We all have those moments, especially pre-exams. I know I am! :p:
Reply 5
Original post by Tortious
We all have those moments, especially pre-exams. I know I am! :p:

Aha, I know how you feel.

It;s all just a massive blleeerrggghhhhh :tongue:

Well I've learnt my lesson for next year but as always, I probably won't listen to the ounce of sense in me lol.

Quick Reply

Latest