The Student Room Group

HELP unsure about A - Levels/Career

Hi,
i'm currently in year 11 and almost completed my gcse's.

i have for a very long time convinced my self that science was the career path for me; with medicine (if i get the grades)/ pharmacy being my career choices.

However i have realised that maths is not my subject. Studying maths a level as a head start has shown me that i am not a maths person. Looking at science related degrees maths is an essential A-Level requirement.

I have decided to drop Maths in college and instead study:
Biology
Chemistry
History
Sociology or English Literature/language

Do you think that dropping maths doesnt affect my career path or do i have to look at something else?

I am confused on what i want to progress onto after college. :s :confused:

I would realy appreciate it if someone could help.
Reply 1
Original post by Tayib
Hi,
i'm currently in year 11 and almost completed my gcse's.

i have for a very long time convinced my self that science was the career path for me; with medicine (if i get the grades)/ pharmacy being my career choices.

However i have realised that maths is not my subject. Studying maths a level as a head start has shown me that i am not a maths person. Looking at science related degrees maths is an essential A-Level requirement.

I have decided to drop Maths in college and instead study:
Biology
Chemistry
History
Sociology or English Literature/language

Do you think that dropping maths doesnt affect my career path or do i have to look at something else?

I am confused on what i want to progress onto after college. :s :confused:

I would realy appreciate it if someone could help.

Not sure about Pharmacy but you don't need maths for Medicine. :smile:

It's a good A-level to have if you enjoy it and are good at it, but universities would rather see an A in say History (something you enjoy), than a C in Maths just because it might be better for sciences.
Medical schools require you to take Chemistry and some require Biology as well. Contrary to popular belief, Maths is not a requirement and not having it will not hinder your application.

Quick Reply

Latest