The Student Room Group

International Medical Students applying to UK for 2013 intake!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by yanb0706
Hey guys!
I'm an international student starting medicine at NCL in a few weeks.
Just wanna say its important to play to your strengths! I think it is quite important to apply for unis that look for different qualities in students. Eg. I applied to Kings (London/traditional ), Glasgow ( Scotland/PBL), Newcastle ( northeast of England/Integrated), and lastly Barts(London/Mostly PBL). As you can see the locations are already quite far apart, and their course structures are also different. I applied like this to ensure that when i failed 3, at least I'd get one :P It does improve your chances. I know loads of students who put all London unis down as their choices and failed to get in.
Anyways, good luck to all your applications and feel free to ask questions :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks dude that was helpful! can you share us grades and experiences including GCSE A LEVEL and UKCAT so we can have a pretty good idea and the number of foffers and rejection so we can prepare for the worse and the best!
Reply 121
First post on TSR ever ! :biggrin:

I'm an international and i wanted to know what are the trends this year with respect to the number of international students accepted to UK schools, are the numbers still very low ( that 7.5%) or will the rise in tuition fees have an effect on their int. intake ?
Reply 122
Original post by sherazhar
Thanks dude that was helpful! can you share us grades and experiences including GCSE A LEVEL and UKCAT so we can have a pretty good idea and the number of foffers and rejection so we can prepare for the worse and the best!

You're welcome!
Hmm A-Levels... In my opinion, I believe most Asian (lol) international students won't have a problem getting the grades, it's the interview that scares us most. Or maybe that's just me? Haha Anyways most med schools only require you to have 3 As (except for some London unis, and Oxbridge)but it's better to have 4 (or more) As or even A*s . Medicine is a really competitive course so you don't want to be disadvantaged there I guess. As for the UKCAT, I believe the 600Qs (or700?) blue book, sorry can't remember it's name, is much harder than what is actually examined. There are plenty of resources here on the TSR so you should go check em out. It's not really that hard so prepare for it well and you'll be fine. Try aiming for 650+. After you get your results back you should DEFO see which schools put emphasis on the UKCAT and which ones don't.

PS is an important thing that they'll look at, so you should write it WISELY. They not only use it for choosing applicant to attend interviews but also look at it DURING AND AFTER the interview. There's a Medical Personal Statements page on the TSR, go have a look at it. It helps!

Oh btw, I applied like this. I applied to Newcastle and Glasgow because they invite you to an interview purely looking at your grades and UKCAT. If you've exceeded the cut-off for both, you're almost 100% sure you'll get an interview from them. So if you're not sure that your PS is good/great, you can at least gain yourself an interview. It's really important to check out the school requirements cuz I'm sure there's more than 2 that does it this way.

Hope this helps :P

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 123
Original post by minoacid
First post on TSR ever ! :biggrin:

I'm an international and i wanted to know what are the trends this year with respect to the number of international students accepted to UK schools, are the numbers still very low ( that 7.5%) or will the rise in tuition fees have an effect on their int. intake ?

Haha congrats on your 1st post!! :smile:

Yes, the british gov decides the intake of international students and they have a fixed quota for each med school I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't think the rise in tuition fees will affect the intake? I think I've read it somewhere that every year 60% of the applicants apply for med school fail to get into even one, so yea you know what's mean. Medicine is too popular and too competitive.

Reply 124
Original post by yanb0706
You're welcome!
Hmm A-Levels... In my opinion, I believe most Asian (lol) international students won't have a problem getting the grades, it's the interview that scares us most. Or maybe that's just me? Haha Anyways most med schools only require you to have 3 As (except for some London unis, and Oxbridge)but it's better to have 4 (or more) As or even A*s . Medicine is a really competitive course so you don't want to be disadvantaged there I guess. As for the UKCAT, I believe the 600Qs (or700?) blue book, sorry can't remember it's name, is much harder than what is actually examined. There are plenty of resources here on the TSR so you should go check em out. It's not really that hard so prepare for it well and you'll be fine. Try aiming for 650+. After you get your results back you should DEFO see which schools put emphasis on the UKCAT and which ones don't.

PS is an important thing that they'll look at, so you should write it WISELY. They not only use it for choosing applicant to attend interviews but also look at it DURING AND AFTER the interview. There's a Medical Personal Statements page on the TSR, go have a look at it. It helps!

Oh btw, I applied like this. I applied to Newcastle and Glasgow because they invite you to an interview purely looking at your grades and UKCAT. If you've exceeded the cut-off for both, you're almost 100% sure you'll get an interview from them. So if you're not sure that your PS is good/great, you can at least gain yourself an interview. It's really important to check out the school requirements cuz I'm sure there's more than 2 that does it this way.

Hope this helps :P

Thank You! but i'm applying for only 1 UKCAT uni and the other 3 include 2 BMAT and Birmingham!
Reply 125
Where are all the international students applying for 2013 entry??????????? u guys seem to be busy!
Reply 126
where are all international students for 2013 intake! doesn't seem like you all got the time for TSR! :P
Hi guys!! Help please!! Do you need to take the IELTS test before the ucas application deadline?

Original post by doctork2
I'm here if anyone has questions about applying as an international student! :biggrin:

Please. Does IELTS test needs to be taken before the ucas application deadline?

Original post by OneGirlInAmillion

I'm sorry, I didn't have to take the IELTS because I'm a Canadian citizen who was educated in Canada. If you're from a country where the primary language is English, you will be exempted, I believe. A quick google search will give you the list of exempted countries.
Reply 130
Original post by OneGirlInAmillion

No. As long as you meet the requirement before 31st August 2013 or something. Check with UCAS!

Reply 131
International applicant from Hong Kong. Going to Bristol next month! :biggrin:

Reply 132
Original post by Ber
International applicant from Hong Kong. Going to Bristol next month! :biggrin:

Cool! how did you manage to get an offer?
Hi everyone! I'm an international student from China:smile:
Does any of you know any med schools that do not put much weight on GCSE performance?
I've seen some med schools convert the students' grades into points and interview those with a higher total score. I'm a bit scared cuz I don't have any GCSEs:frown:
Reply 134
don't ask! i flunked it! hoping for BMAT! wat bout ya?
Reply 135
Hi!
So what is the qualification you have got other than GCSE and what are the grades? It doesn't matter if you have GCSE's or not as long as Equivalent qualifications with good grades though!
Reply 136
Hey guys, do you think 650 avg in ukcat is too low for king's college? my o'level and a'level grades are pretty strong though
Original post by sherazhar
Hi!
So what is the qualification you have got other than GCSE and what are the grades? It doesn't matter if you have GCSE's or not as long as Equivalent qualifications with good grades though!

Thanks.
I only have grades from Chinese High school. However, my tutor tells me that they are not equivalent with IGCSE's. :s-smilie:
Original post by minoacid
Hey guys, do you think 650 avg in ukcat is too low for king's college? my o'level and a'level grades are pretty strong though

650 in average is good actually.
If u want to be sure, u can email their admission office and check the overall scores for entry in 2012.
Reply 139
Original post by flowerzilei
Thanks.
I only have grades from Chinese High school. However, my tutor tells me that they are not equivalent with IGCSE's. :s-smilie:

oops then i have no idea! contact the universities!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending