The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sclez1
Stupidest thing ever I know, feel like a moron. It was completely accidental, but I'm wondering if I might get points/a fine for it? What do you think the chances are of there being a camera on the light?

Thanks!

Just go to the location where the incident occurred on google maps and see if there was a camera, simples!
Original post by sclez1
Stupidest thing ever I know, feel like a moron. It was completely accidental, but I'm wondering if I might get points/a fine for it? What do you think the chances are of there being a camera on the light?

Thanks!

unless there was a flash then there is no issue
Original post by Walkaah
Just go to the location where the incident occurred on google maps and see if there was a camera, simples!

I've had to do this a couple of times myself! If there's no camera there then don't worry too much. Just be more cautious next time.
Reply 23
Can someone help?

I was waiting to turn right at a box junction. I was the third in line and believe I was over the crossing before the lights turned red and the cars in front of me could proceed. I followed them. There was a camera looking at the box junction (to catch people stopping in the box i guess). Can that also get me if the lights was red and i processed?

Help!
Original post by loladood
Can someone help?

I was waiting to turn right at a box junction. I was the third in line and believe I was over the crossing before the lights turned red and the cars in front of me could proceed. I followed them. There was a camera looking at the box junction (to catch people stopping in the box i guess). Can that also get me if the lights was red and i processed?

Help!

Quite possibly, I know on my driving lessons I was taught about the 'Two car rule' and that you should remain behind the white stop line should there be more than two cars waiting to turn. Unless someone has a prior experience of this situation, I'd say it is one of those wait and see issues, although don't be surprised if you get a ticket.
Original post by loladood
Can someone help?

Help!

No. It has to flash.

If it didn't flash, then nothing will happen.
Reply 26
I was never taught the two car rule - thanks for the heads up.

It was a CCTV camera (regulated by the council i believe) so it wouldn't flash as it wasn't a GATSO etc!

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by CurlyBen
Only for speed or speed and traffic cameras. Cameras only for traffic light enforcement can be grey. They're not that common except on busy junctions though.

Yes, very much correct.

Red light cameras do not need to be Yellow, they are pretty rare in London areas, in fact my town had one literally just up the road from me, it had been installed and active for the last god knows how many years... probably 10-15 years, and only got taken down about 2-3 weeks ago

Good old Gatso RLC.

Contrary to popular belief, I believe the piece of legislation that said Safety cameras need to be painted yellow was never actually bought into play.... therefore speed/safety cameras do not need to be painted yellow, but many are.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 28
hi Kurdish boy,

please help me and give me some idea,

i drove on a red light.
been waiting for like 8 mins and light dudnt change
both left and right and the one infornt of me are giving way apart from my lane
so i decided to go even it is red, i thought its not working
will i lose my points?
Reply 29
please help me and give me some idea,i drove on a red light.been waiting for like 8 mins and light didnt changeboth left and right and the one infornt of me are only giving the way apart from my laneso i decided to go even it is red, i thought its not workingwill i lose my points?
Original post by Hope0911
hi Kurdish boy,

please help me and give me some idea,

i drove on a red light.
been waiting for like 8 mins and light dudnt change
both left and right and the one infornt of me are giving way apart from my lane
so i decided to go even it is red, i thought its not working
will i lose my points?

No. Unless a camera flashed.
Reply 31
Do you always get a ticket if the camera flashed.
I was at a crossing and there was no one there the road ahead was clear as it was about 6 in the morning on a Saturday. I didn't see the light as it was to the side of the road and wasn't in great visibility to the road however I proceeded like an idiot not taking notice of the red light. literally gutted and used to be one of the safest drivers out of my group of friends but I guess that's gone now. I stopped immediately after the flash but I fear it was too late. is it a definite that I am getting a ticket or is it like the rumour with speed cameras and they often don't have any tape in? also it is coming up to two weeks tomorrow so if I am getting a ticket how long would it take to come?? (how long do I need to worry for) ??
Original post by Merry.25
Do you always get a ticket if the camera flashed.
I was at a crossing and there was no one there the road ahead was clear as it was about 6 in the morning on a Saturday. I didn't see the light as it was to the side of the road and wasn't in great visibility to the road however I proceeded like an idiot not taking notice of the red light. literally gutted and used to be one of the safest drivers out of my group of friends but I guess that's gone now. I stopped immediately after the flash but I fear it was too late. is it a definite that I am getting a ticket or is it like the rumour with speed cameras and they often don't have any tape in? also it is coming up to two weeks tomorrow so if I am getting a ticket how long would it take to come?? (how long do I need to worry for) ??

Not all the time. It also depends on how far across the line you were when you stopped. .
What's with the repeated necroposting on this thread? :lol:
You shouldn't feel bad - you're only human, and driving does not come naturally to you (or me). You may be interested to know that 80% of so-called red light running is unintentional. (I haven't done the source yet, but that figure appear in the Transport Research Laboratory's PPR 436 "Literature review of road safety at traffic signals, etc."
There are many reasons for missing a red light, too many to go into here, and most are outside the driver's control. Check out, for example, "change, motion-induced and inattentional blindness".
That's why I get so angry about red light (and other) cameras - and the stupidity surrounding their implementation. One such stupidity is the application of "strict liability" - whereby, whether the action is intentional or not, the "offender" gets punished. I fail to see the "justice" in that - unfortunately, not even the Transport Select Committee seems to want to know.Time you students started the rebellion ..... there's nothing to lose but ignorance.
Reply 35
I was parked at red light on left and right not sure if I was looking correct lights but it changed when I went car beeped as I passed why
Reply 36
I was parked on right and lights were on red left hand lane was stopped as well as lights were red but one changed to green on my side so i moved other lane stayed but as i went a car was coming and beeped
Reply 37
Ive done exactly the same thing today I was in a new place and get very stressed because I was lost and went strait through it. I felt such an idiot was too late I had done it now im worrying like mad now I dont have a clue if there was a camera or not. Ive not been driving long only a few month so obviously dont want no pionts but like I say it was my fault so I suppose I deserve the punishment
Reply 38
has it flashed on you though or have you done it through one that dont have cameras on ??
Original post by niclew
has it flashed on you though or have you done it through one that dont have cameras on ??

Check the date on threads before posting. This thread is 5 years old.

Latest

Trending

Trending