The Student Room Group

How much would you ideally like to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Clip
There is very little prospect of being able to do either of those things with £25,000.

Well like I say, this is what my parents earn (although obviously together this makes £50,000 but I'm assuming I would be living with the father of my children) and I've never felt like I was missing out on anything :smile: I know they did sacrafice holidays and things occasionally, but again I would also be prepared to do that.

Many people earn less than that and have a house, it just might not be a castle...
not gonna lie, towards the end of my career i would like to be earning £150K +.
Reply 82
Original post by stac4321
Well like I say, this is what my parents earn (although obviously together this makes £50,000 but I'm assuming I would be living with the father of my children) and I've never felt like I was missing out on anything :smile: I know they did sacrafice holidays and things occasionally, but again I would also be prepared to do that.

Many people earn less than that and have a house, it just might not be a castle...

Not being funny, but in all likelihood, your parents are part of a "golden generation" of people who were fortunate enough to be around from the 70s to 90s when home ownership was possible for people on incomes that were low (but high relative to house prices). There wasn't really a time like it before or since.

Without a substantial inheritance, house purchase on £25,000 is nigh on impossible.
I would like to earn £20k when I graduate from uni. Hopefully by £50k by the time I retire. If not then no sweat.
Reply 84
I could understand if this question was being asked to the general public but it's being asked on a forum for students, which on one hand may make it seem unreaslitic but on the other hand, it means there are a serious number of overachieves.

There are a number of examples, especially with jobs in London.

Doctor pay:
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=553
Dentish pay:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/dentist_salary.htm
Trainees at city law firms and Investment bankers
http://l2b.thelawyer.com/trainee-solicitor-salaries-knocked-off-top-spot/1003407.article

Plenty of other examples that can be provided so I fail to see why people can't aim for 40k+
Reply 85
Hahaha I got negged for wanting to earn 500k, unless it meant giving up something significantly good?

So what. I don't want to be earning 50k or something, unless I felt I was doing something good for the world. It's not that I won't be happy otherwise. Yeah, I guess I'm relatively materialistic, but even then 500k would give me so much latitude to influence -- and in good ways.
80 - 120,000 would do me well. Want to live the same as my parents, but I want to do it by myself so I appreciate it more :smile:
I'd be pretty happy on 25-35k, especially in today's jobs market.
It's my aim to at some point make £50,000 a year!
Reply 89
How much? Well, as much as I could get. If we're being more realistic, I'd say around 35 - 40k would be nice.
Reply 90
Well... For a realistic answer, if I get into uni this year and then successfully get onto some graduate scheme or work for a company in placement. I would expect >£19,000 but probably <£30,000

I think that a large portion of how much capital you can hoard depends on how you spend... Rather than having "x" income.

I agree with other poster. Please do not think £30,000+ in todays market immediately post-uni will happen lol.

Meh,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 91
I'd be happy with £40k.

What poor bastard negged me for that? LOL.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
well no one wants to be on a low incom but id be happy with any income espeically in the current climate but the more the merrier and all that :smile:
Reply 93
I'd be happy with £60k, I could live with less and more would be brilliant
Reply 94
35k.
This first year after finishing I'm aiming for a starting salary of up to 21k as i'm taking a year out and applying for masters.

After my MSc aiming for a a salry of around 20k to 25k.
Enough to pay the bills and still have some left to treat myself/go on holiday, etc.
Something like £50k a year would be nice - a good amount, not stingy, but not an over-the-top-stupid amount!!
I'd love to have a starting salary higher than my parents' salaries, I'd love to be able to finally pay them back for everything.

In the future I'd like to see something between £50k-75k, I think I'll have left banking after that salary range to start my own business if I see the right opportunity for it :smile:
I'm going to strive to earn enough to be to be in a position where I have money 'spare'. So enough to pay for the necessities of life e.g. accommodation, food, bills etc; as well as a substantial amount left over for luxury.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending