The Student Room Group

Medicine at Cambridge

I'm in year 12 and thinking of applying to cambridge for medicine

Just wanted to know...well, anything. any comments, thoughts, things you've heard about the course, how to get in, what its like etc. how difficult, requirements. even just stuff you want to say

anything at all :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Two things

a) If you're just starting this now, you really need to get a move on as there's admissions tests, work exp. volunteering etc.

b)You can't get people to do your research for you, although i may be soon proven wrong, the wiki is good
Reply 2
When you say you are considering applying to cambridge, does this mean you have already wanted to study medicine for a while and are now considering cambridge as one of your choices? Or you're only now considering studying medicine? If it's the latter then as the above poster said, it's a tad late if you haven't done any of the relevant box ticking.
Reply 3
Why specifically Cambridge?
Pro-tip: look about the forum. There is lots of info about peoples experience of Cambridge. Here are a few of my thoughts
Reply 5
There is lots of general information out there.

If you have any more specific enquiries, feel free to ask those.
Have you done any research about medicine at Cambridge at all? Your questions are incredibly broad and vague.

Be aware the Cambridge course is incredibly intense, more so than any other medical school most likely. You will have to write scientific essays very frequently and have absolutely minimal patient contact for the first few years. Be sure you absolutely LOVE studying the basic sciences that underpin medicine if you genuinely want to consider studying there.
Reply 7
Original post by purplefrog
Have you done any research about medicine at Cambridge at all? Your questions are incredibly broad and vague.

Be aware the Cambridge course is incredibly intense, more so than any other medical school most likely. You will have to write scientific essays very frequently and have absolutely minimal patient contact for the first few years. Be sure you absolutely LOVE studying the basic sciences that underpin medicine if you genuinely want to consider studying there.

Thanks, that was sort of the kind of thing i was looking for, about it being very intense, scientific essays, minimal patient contact etc.

and of course i have started research ive wanted to do medicine for a very long time now. i agree, if i'd just started now that would be stupid. but i am clued up on work experience/admissions test/volunteering etc. Just wondered what some of you might have heard or think about cambridge e.g. theres not enough patient contact, the interviews are really tough, they look a lot at ums scores. was just looking for opinions really
Reply 8
Good for you! Keep working hard and maybe look at Cambridge on an open day. It's incredibly helpful. As soon as I went there, I had to apply. Also, look out for summer schools. I went to one by the Sutton Trust. It was amazing, spent the whole week at Cambridge doing maths and met friendly people. Try out for summer school in medicine, they run ones for younger students as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending