The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I thought the January 2012 paper was fairly easy.. hopefully this one won't be too hard
I have this exam too, hopefully I can get 100UMS on it like I did in the Jan 12 C1 paper :smile:
Original post by Booyah
Personally invested in a TI-83 to check all my integration... If it makes it that much more reliable it's worth the extra cash for a fair few marks... These A-levels are for life... Personally I hate differentiation those questions are made by Lucifer himself.

However good luck all!

I agree with the Calc, but Differentiation- Intergration has to be by far the easiest thing on the paper!
Reply 83
Original post by Killer_94
I thought the January 2012 paper was fairly easy.. hopefully this one won't be too hard

Hard = I really like the paper because I can afford to make mistakes and still get a good mark (missed a who 3 marker by accident in Jan C1 paper :facepalm:) :smile:.
Reply 84
After learning C3 and C4, this should be a complete doddle.
Original post by Pi!

I thought that about C1 - yesterday proved me wrong (tbf my issue then was silly mistakes). It IS a lot easier now I know C3 and C4 - but thats more dangerous. You rush, don't think properly, make silly mistakes, and miss really obvious clues in the question.
Reply 86
Original post by ninegrandstudent
I thought that about C1 - yesterday proved me wrong (tbf my issue then was silly mistakes). It IS a lot easier now I know C3 and C4 - but thats more dangerous. You rush, don't think properly, make silly mistakes, and miss really obvious clues in the question.

Totally agree, I recognized that when I did my first C1 paper at home a week ago and got like 56/75, so I had to go back and relearn everything and I'm gonna do the same for C2 starting now :smile:
Does anyone have tips for logarithm questions? I know the formulas but when it comes to questions, I am lost...
Reply 88
Original post by Buongiorno
Does anyone have tips for logarithm questions? I know the formulas but when it comes to questions, I am lost...

On the side of the questions write out a list of the rules, that way it's a lot easier to spot
Reply 89
Original post by 0range
On the side of the questions write out a list of the rules, that way it's a lot easier to spot

What tips do you have for those differentiation questions where you have to show the area/volume is this
Reply 90
Original post by QwertyG
What tips do you have for those differentiation questions where you have to show the area/volume is this

1. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. All of the questions involve length, area and volume of simple shapes/compound shapes that most good year 10 students would be OK with (the area of a curved surface of a cylinder for example, just a rectangle where one side is the height and the other is the circumference). Take a breath and think logically, e.g. for a cuboid the surface area is the sum of the 6 faces - an open box would have only 5 faces.... Be careful if any semi/quarter circles are involved that you sort out the radius from the diameter.

2. You will be given enough information to form 2 equations. Form them. Then rearrange one and substitute it in the other one to eliminate one of the variables. You might then need to simplify/factorise to achieve the desired result.

3. It's normally a show that..... If you can't work out how to show it, just use the equation given anyway for the rest of the question. Differentiate and solve dy/dx = 0 to find the max or min as required. d2y/dx2 if you need to justify that it's one or the other.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Pi!

Dito :tongue: - just learn geometric series again though.
Reply 92
Original post by Salvatore8
I agree with the Calc, but Differentiation- Intergration has to be by far the easiest thing on the paper!

Differentiation is hard when you have to rearrange it is boring and I get bored easily... Integration is so much easier I find as it is more interesting... Don't know why...
Reply 93
Original post by QwertyG

One thing I've noticed is that you nearly always have to rearrange to make H the subject and then substitute it in, into the new onee
Reply 94
Original post by raheem94
The edexcel maths papers are usually easy, so to compensate for it, they probably raise the grade boundaries.

Though i will like harder papers with lower grade boundaries, these high grade boundaries judge accuracy rather than ability.

And looking at the recent GCSE marking mess-up it looks like they judge the accuracy of the markers rather than the students!
Reply 95
Need to go over differentiation.
Reply 96
Original post by kittyb99
And looking at the recent GCSE marking mess-up it looks like they judge the accuracy of the markers rather than the students!

True :smile:
Reply 97
I was wondering if someone has made a topic list for C2? I feel like I haven't revised all of them if anyone's made one and could post it it would be much appreciated :smile:
GSB check your textbook :smile:.
Reply 99
Can you get a differentiation question on Square based pyramids/ Triangular prisms/Sphere?

Latest

Trending

Trending