Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Purely out of interest;

Anyone plannin to take a guitar (or any other instrument) to uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    Purely out of interest;

Loads of people I know have a guitar with them here, one of my housemates has one acoustic and 2 electric guitars with him, and another has a bass (they've started a band). Apparently playing the guitar helps when you are bored or stressed!

ReputationRep:
    Purely out of interest;

I'd take a piano if I could. Bummer, im gonna miss my old piano when I move, and there won't be one in my halls of residence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    I'd take a piano if I could. Bummer, im gonna miss my old piano when I move, and there won't be one in my halls of residence.
    take a keyboard?

I've been playing the cello for 3 years... only problem is.. it wasn't mine! So i've been thinking about getting my own cello to play at uni but it's really hard to transport an instrument like that thousands of miles across the Atlantic... plus it's sooo expensive...
    I really don't want to drop it so maybe i'll see if i can rent one and continue teaching myself... i dunno.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I was hoping to take my guitar to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I have my flute with me and my friend has her electric guitar

ReputationRep:
    im staying at home for uni, but if i was going i would take my bass guitar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    im staying at home for uni, but if i was going i would take my bass guitar.
    Its best if you put on your accomodation form if you are taking an instrument, as some halls have practice rooms so you wont piss all your flat mates off.

One of my older friends is in his third year, he is living in a college with a Theatre studies student, (he is doing Chemistry) it drives him mad when his flat mate plays his sax all the time, its been the cause of some *major* arguements. hehe!

ReputationRep:
    my bf plays 3 different saxophones, piano, organ, drums and oboe so he has decided also to live @ home so he doesn't get beaten up by annoyed people trying to study!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    Its best if you put on your accomodation form if you are taking an instrument, as some halls have practice rooms so you wont piss all your flat mates off.

One of my older friends is in his third year, he is living in a college with a Theatre studies student, (he is doing Chemistry) it drives him mad when his flat mate plays his sax all the time, its been the cause of some *major* arguements. hehe!
    I don't really get annoyed with my flatmates, its not as if they're always playing them. They've started a band, and normally they go to a local studio to practice, so it doesn't bother us that much. In fact they are quite good, and have a gig tomorrow, and last night they played us an acoustic version of their set. Its nice to have some live entertainment in your kitchen!

ReputationRep:
    Purely out of interest;

I have my two guitars with me and I've arranged to have my piano moved in to our new house in September

ReputationRep:
    Purely out of interest;

Muahaha, I'm taking my violin - they're going to love me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna take my saxamophone to uni with me...hopefully join some kind of jazz band!!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Good stuff, glad to see lots of people taking/planning to take instruments.

I was mainly worried about transporting gear (as its heavy, and awkward on trains etc.) and ofcourse theft.

Anyone else worried about this, or anyone at uni experienced any of these problems?

ReputationRep:
    Good stuff, glad to see lots of people taking/planning to take instruments.

I was mainly worried about transporting gear (as its heavy, and awkward on trains etc.) and ofcourse theft.

Anyone else worried about this, or anyone at uni experienced any of these problems?
    My violin's worth about £200 with all the accessories and stuff :rolleyes: I'll probably take out instrument insurance on it before I move out - it's not all that much from what I've read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmazda86)
    My violin's worth about £200 with all the accessories and stuff :rolleyes: I'll probably take out instrument insurance on it before I move out - it's not all that much from what I've read
    To be honest £200 does not sound much - sorry!

I think I shall take my guitar with me. I doubt it would be played much though; I might be too whazzed to play it.

J.

ReputationRep:
    I was worried about whether or not I could fit my guitar in halls...but with regards to noise - electric guitars make next to no noise unless theyre plugged into an amp so I wont be pissing anyone off.

ReputationRep:
    not takin any instruments but inend to piss as many people off as pos with my singing

ReputationRep:
    I'll be taking my french horn and my saxophone - I am doing a music degree. And the lovely people at cambridge have told me that i get a piano in my room. How cool is that.

MB

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.