The Student Room Group

june 2012 Geography Unit 3 Contested Planet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How is everyone revising their topics & which case studies are you using?

Ive made mindmaps on Water, Biodiversity, & Development Gap. But i dont know if i know it enough because i dunno if i might need to do another topic.

Ahh just feels like an annoying exam to revise for because its 60% of the A2 and for me its on the same day as Sociology and 2 days after Psychology :/
so much stuff to remember !
Reply 21
hey, has anyone got any relevant case studies for Biodiversity and how to be 'synoptic' ?
Original post by kathhh8
How is everyone revising their topics & which case studies are you using?

Ive made mindmaps on Water, Biodiversity, & Development Gap. But i dont know if i know it enough because i dunno if i might need to do another topic.

Ahh just feels like an annoying exam to revise for because its 60% of the A2 and for me its on the same day as Sociology and 2 days after Psychology :/
so much stuff to remember !

It might be good to have a back-up topic revised (superpowers is an easy topic), just in case they throw out tough questions for either biodiversity or development. Your revision doesn't have to be in as much detail as those two, but I reckon it's good to have another one just to stay on the safe side.

I think it's good that you chose to do development though as a lot of it overlaps with the water topic so you have fewer case studies to revise :biggrin: And it's quite straightforward.

You're right, Edexcel are cruel for cramming it in with loads of other exams, and especially since this is an essay-based exam.. my hand is gonna die by the end of next week.. :frown:

I'm revising by just reading over my notes, re-reading the pre-release and doing some extra background research on it, making case study cards and planning answers to past questions. Good luck! :smile:
Also for those who are finding revision tough for some of their topics, getrevising.com has loads of powerpoints with relevant case studies which you can download, and it's free to sign up.
Here's one for the water topic http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/edexcel_a2_geography_unit_3_topic_2_water_conflicts_section_1_the_geography_of_water_supply_part_a
Reply 24
Original post by lettucesoap
It might be good to have a back-up topic revised (superpowers is an easy topic), just in case they throw out tough questions for either biodiversity or development. Your revision doesn't have to be in as much detail as those two, but I reckon it's good to have another one just to stay on the safe side.

I think it's good that you chose to do development though as a lot of it overlaps with the water topic so you have fewer case studies to revise :biggrin: And it's quite straightforward.

You're right, Edexcel are cruel for cramming it in with loads of other exams, and especially since this is an essay-based exam.. my hand is gonna die by the end of next week.. :frown:

I'm revising by just reading over my notes, re-reading the pre-release and doing some extra background research on it, making case study cards and planning answers to past questions. Good luck! :smile:

Yeah Ive decieded to do Tech Fix aswell now and its alot more interesting! :tongue:
Which topics are you doing?
And what are your case studies because I've kinda missed them out abit :redface: as i just made loads of mindmaps from the edexcel book ahhh x)

& Thanks :smile: you too!
Reply 25
Original post by lillyryanharper
My teacher made us a worksheet on possible Qs.

PART a)s usually about explaining or outlining something.
- explain why there are growing concerns about water security in the region
- explain the contribution of physical geography to water security in the region

PART b)s involve 'to what extent' or 'evaluate'
- evaluate the relative importance of threats facing water security in the region
- evaluate the arguments for and against the development of large scale dams as a method of water management in the region
- to what extent does China hold the key to water security in the region?

PART c)s usually look to the future and how sustainability might be achieved
- evaluate the contribution that the three water management schemes in Fig 11 may make to improving water security in the region
- study fig 11. Assess the key issues which may influence water security in the region
- Assess the challenges the region faces as it aims for a water secure future.

Just a few ideas, I've been revising by answering them which is mind numbingly boring but also very helpful!

In the case of "explain why there are growing concerns about water security in the region"
would the answer to that be the things that water security will affect (as in urban development, agricultural demands, population growth) or is it similar to the first question (as in say why climate change, seasonal rainfall uneven disitribution are causing problems for the area?)
No problem :smile: I'm doing development, tech fix and superpowers because alot of it overlaps. I'm so lazy :')

Case studies
Development: (alot of these are from GCSE & AS geog which is good for synoptic marks :wink: )
I'm revising according to key players on global and local levels; NGOs & bottom-up sand dams in Kenya, TNCs in LICs (Fiji Water, Coca Cola in India, Shell in Nigeria), superpowers (China in Africa, FDI), IGOs = top-down (MDGs in various third world countries, World Bank).
-Then megacities eg. Lagos for impact of poor development, rural-urban migration and urbanisation. Also the favelas and slums in Rio Di Janiero are good to look at for this.
-Curibita as a sustainable way of development in a developing country.
-Economic migration eg. Turks to Germany.

And also it's good to revise the 3 theories of development - modernization, world systems and core/periphery model.

Tech Fix:
-Sand dams in Kitui, Kenya
-M-Pesa leapfrogging in Kenya
-Akosumbo Dam in Ghana & Pergau Dam in Malaysia (links to development, energy and water)
-New HIV/AIDS drug technology in developed countires (north-south divide, links to development gap - LICs can't afford this tech)
-Thames barrier for adaptation tech in developed countries (links to environment, urbanisation and megacities)
-Poor flood protection in Dhaka, Bangladesh (also links to development gap and water)
-'Green & Gene revolution' in developed countries (GM crops, north-south divide link)

Looking through my folder these are the ones which seem most appropriate to use, but if anyone has any more relevant ones please feel free to add! Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by lettucesoap
No problem :smile: I'm doing development, tech fix and superpowers because alot of it overlaps. I'm so lazy :')

Case studies
Development: (alot of these are from GCSE & AS geog which is good for synoptic marks :wink: )
I'm revising according to key players on global and local levels; NGOs & bottom-up sand dams in Kenya, TNCs in LICs (Fiji Water, Coca Cola in India, Shell in Nigeria), superpowers (China in Africa, FDI), IGOs = top-down (MDGs in various third world countries, World Bank).
-Then megacities eg. Lagos for impact of poor development, rural-urban migration and urbanisation. Also the favelas and slums in Rio Di Janiero are good to look at for this.
-Curibita as a sustainable way of development in a developing country.
-Economic migration eg. Turks to Germany.

And also it's good to revise the 3 theories of development - modernization, world systems and core/periphery model.

Tech Fix:
-Sand dams in Kitui, Kenya
-M-Pesa leapfrogging in Kenya
-Akosumbo Dam in Ghana & Pergau Dam in Malaysia (links to development, energy and water)
-New HIV/AIDS drug technology in developed countires (north-south divide, links to development gap - LICs can't afford this tech)
-Thames barrier for adaptation tech in developed countries (links to environment, urbanisation and megacities)
-Poor flood protection in Dhaka, Bangladesh (also links to development gap and water)
-'Green & Gene revolution' in developed countries (GM crops, north-south divide link)

Looking through my folder these are the ones which seem most appropriate to use, but if anyone has any more relevant ones please feel free to add! Hope this helps :smile:

ahh thankyou! :biggrin:
Reply 28
also in the pre-release it doesn't state that china is a full member, to what extent does it agree with the MRC policies though? the MRC website seems to suggest that its not completely ignoring the group.
Reply 29
Btw whats this about being synoptic?

we dont have to link everything to water do we? :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Just to clarify... because I'm worrying myself..

I don't need to bother revising how the topics that will be in part A (Ie, all apart from Water conflicts) link into each other do I? The only synoptic part is B so I don't need to understand how they all interrelate to each other, just how they relate to Water.

Is that correct?
Reply 31
hey for physical reasons for water insecurity i have these factors
1. moonsoons are highly seasonal
2. climate change = 2 billion people depend of snow and ice melting, these are decling and will dissapear completely soon so thus 2 billion will be without a water source
3. both el Nino and La Nina occur in this area
4. Tropical cyclones/ typhoons

but apart from that im baffled :frown: any other ideas?
Reply 32
Original post by Braptings
Just to clarify... because I'm worrying myself..

I don't need to bother revising how the topics that will be in part A (Ie, all apart from Water conflicts) link into each other do I? The only synoptic part is B so I don't need to understand how they all interrelate to each other, just how they relate to Water.

Is that correct?

yesss :biggrin:
Oh yeah sorry I completely forgot that we don't need to be synoptic for part A. Gonna blame it on my geog teacher for drilling that word into our heads :')
Reply 34

- explain the contribution of physical geography to water security in the region

- evaluate the relative importance of threats facing water security in the region
- evaluate the arguments for and against the development of large scale dams as a method of water management in the region

- evaluate the contribution that the three water management schemes in Fig 11 may make to improving water security in the region
- study fig 11. Assess the key issues which may influence water security in the region

Just a few ideas, I've been revising by answering them which is mind numbingly boring but also very helpful!

hey, im a little confused on what you would write for section B there any help please??
Reply 35

These questions are really helpful! I was just wondering how you would go about answering the contribution of physical geography to watrer security in the region? that one had me a bit confused...im not too good with physical geog!

Thankss and good luck! :smile:
Original post by 05hedgh
Thank you soo much for these! i was just wondering where can i find stuff on the physical reasons because i cant find much in the pre release?

and how much are we meant to write for these questions, im worried im gonna end up trying to do an essay like unit four and write too much

thanks,

The physical stuff is climate change i.e. melting glaciers, decreased summer precipitation and unpredictable monsoon seasons... there's not that much to go on but it is in the pre release!

And I think you're meant to spend 70 minutes on the synoptic and there's 40 marks so just time it well and you won't write too much!
Original post by hisalice
In the case of "explain why there are growing concerns about water security in the region"
would the answer to that be the things that water security will affect (as in urban development, agricultural demands, population growth) or is it similar to the first question (as in say why climate change, seasonal rainfall uneven disitribution are causing problems for the area?)

Both I think! Because urban development and agricultural demands are placing a strain on water so therefore coupled with all the physical climate changey bits that's what's influencing water security.
Original post by Elizabethsmith
I am finding the water resources quite tricky, these have been really helpful. I was wondering do you happen to have any sample answers to go with these? :smile:

Afraid not, sorry :frown:
Reply 39
how exactly do we answer the 10 markers and 15?
is it like point, evidence (knowledge) and then an explanation? sooo confused :/

Quick Reply