The Student Room Group

Self - Teaching an Intermediate 2 alongside Five Highers?

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Did a couple of Highers this way but there's no way to tell you how you personally will handle it.

My advice is get the spec for the subject and work through it point by point making sure you know all that's required. Personally I found the standard textbooks a waste of time and just got decent revision guides as they tend to have the concise what you need to know points that match the spec instead of a lot of babble and extra 'of interest' material that might slow you down.

Any school can enter you for the exam and the NABs but most likely to let you is your own school I think, otherwise you'd have to find somewhere else.
im doing five highers next year and personally want to curl up and die :frown:

History
Math
Physics
chemistry
computing

but if your school gives you the nabs, material and the exam and your focused i see no reason why it cant be done mate :smile:
Reply 3
it should be doable! one of my friends is teaching herself SG Chemistry this year, and she says that although it's fairly difficult that it is manageable. She's using purely textbooks and Scholar (if your school uses it) and goes to ask a random teacher about things she gets stuck on. Also, if any of your friends have sat Int2/SG Biology then they could give you their notes to help, and should be able to help you if you get stuck and can't talk to a teacher?
Reply 4
This is something I'm interested in doing too. Is intermediate 2 biology hard for someone who gets 1s for SG physics and chemistry? Would it be easy to self teach it?

Also, do you have to sit the NABs?
Reply 5
I don't think its a case of whether you get 1s in other stuff, self study depends on you knowing how to teach yourself, which is a little different from sitting in class... but the concepts and material won't be beyond you if you get Physics and Chemistry.

Yes you have to sit the NABs.
Reply 6
I don't imagine it will be too difficult; conceptually Biology is very simple. I'm also hoping to study medicine, and I'm about to sit Highers in Maths, English, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and History, having taught myself History.
Reply 7
Original post by nerd434
How did you find it? Pretty straight forward or a lot more work?

Well, I've always enjoyed history so I didn't mind it at all. A lot of the coursework for Higher is similar to Int 2/Credit (ie women's emancipation, industrialisation etc) so it wasn't a huge stretch. For a completely new subject, I expect that it really depends on how much you enjoy it. I'd sooner kill myself than study AH Biology on my own this year, for example. You're really looking at an hour of reading/work every couple of days. It's not too much of a stretch, I'm surprised more people don't do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending