The Student Room Group

The reason why white girls and women don't appear to go for ethnic men.

The reason is overcomplicated by people like me searching for a theory but my own idea arrived upon seeing a group of girls with a guy today.

Women, don't want to face ostricization from their social circles. If you have not noticed, their social circles are vital towards their feelings of self-identity and being removed from that would more often than not make them even more insecure about their existence. The unfortunate truth is that something which is different, i.e. a guy from another race, is a social risk. Whether we like it or not, in the highly political friendship circles of many girls, this is an unjustifiable risk. Whilst there may not be any prejudice in these circles, the very fear of prejudice leads to women shunning anything (not just other races) socially which is different or risky. And therefore, the value of a man of a different race, religion, social stereotype is suspect to these girls.

This is my thesis, you are free to disagree, scribble here, or whatever. Just to note, I don't think this is a complete thesis by any stretch of the imagination. . . obviously, there are other variables, but I would put this factor right at the forefront. It links to the other thing about women, looks aren't the be all and end all to attracting them, its a cumulation of factors, of which the social aspect is crucial.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Or maybe they're just... Y'know, not attracted to you?
(edited 11 years ago)
I think it's more about the fact that ethnic groups tend to stick together and have more contact with people of their own ethnicity. I doubt if a woman found a man attractive she would disregard him because he wasn't part of her social circle. I mean... people can quite easily be introduced to other social circles and you're assuming that most women are racist... Also a lot of people tend to be physically attracted to people of their own race more so than others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
I think it's more about the fact that ethnic groups tend to stick together and have more contact with people of their own ethnicity. I doubt if a woman found a man attractive she would disregard him because he wasn't part of her social circle. I mean... people can quite easily be introduced to other social circles and you're assuming that most women are racist... Also a lot of people tend to be attracted to people of their own race more so than others.

I think most of society is intrinsically racist, as in, every race is racist.
Reply 4
Get over yourself. I just prefer white men.
Original post by mirin?
I think most of society is intrinsically racist, as in, every race is racist.

I think that's crap. It sounds like you're racist and projecting your own psyche onto others thinking they are like you.
Reply 6
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
I think that's crap. It sounds like you're racist and projecting your own psyche onto others thinking they are like you.

I am a little bit racist yes, but then again I'm a misanthrope like many. So, my original statement may not be wrong since most people are very insular and like to 'play it safe', 'different' is not safe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah i think this is partly true of white girls anyway. Girls look to their friends for approval especially when it comes to relationships. If her friends dont like you, then you've got no chance in hell unless you have some social status or are loaded.
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Smurf
But plenty of white girls date black guys. Not Oriental guys though. It kinda sucks since I like white girls and im an Oriental guy. :frown:

God knows why :rolleyes:
I think some people date 'within their own race' despite wanting to do otherwise because they face social pressure. But that is not an explanation for the grand total and it is not more related to white women than to anyone else. I know of plenty of Indian, African and Chinese girls who date their own nationalities due to family pressure. Moreso than Caucasian girls.
Personally, yes I only date Caucasian guys from West Europe. They have a culture which matches mine better, and I am not physically attracted to Asian/African men. It's a preference, just like every guy has physical preferences in a female.
Reply 10
Well its the classic racial hierachy theory which is prevalant in mainstream society where whites are at the top and all other races are at the bottom, albeit less ubiquitous then it was decades ago; plus considering the wide class division in the UK its not surprising it can have a subliminal and covert effect on dating where ethnic white British women don't want to date themselves down to a lower level in the pyramid.

It also shows the clear role that gender still plays in dating, where its pretty much welcomed for a white Brit to date/marry an ethnic minority woman although if the opposite happens then nationalists (hypocrites) would cry "why are these non-white males stealing our women?!", lol, its one of the reasons why the rate of marriage for one of these types of couples is 3-5x higher then the other.

Of course there are several other reasons, like where economic worth plays a significant part as well. Just food for thought :smile:.

My ethos is to date and marry someone who I find attractive and shares similiar interests and personality traits regardless of their race and not to judge someone based on preconceived generalisations. Unfortunately these 5 things put together seem to be absent in most peoples minds when they're looking for a date.
your right to an extent mate..however my asian mate usually ends up gettin his end away on most weekends with whitewomen!
A bit short for a thesis really. I wouldn't give you a PhD for it at any rate.
Reply 13
I'm white and i went out with a south-asain guy for 4 years so i can't help you.
Reply 14
I just think most girls are comfortable dating their own race. But there are some that date outside their race. Deal with it. And its not just white girls that do this ALL girls do this.
Reply 15
It is true that people tend to find others of their own race more attractive. At the same time, if you're attractive it speaks for itself. I think it's more cultural than racial. You're approaching life from the same context. I don't know, it's hard to explain. I prefer to date people more culturally similar to me but it isn't because I'm narrow-minded. My ex-bf is Indian and we got on quite well most of the time. However there were times which felt a bit uneasy because of our lack of a shared cultural experience. Cross-cultural relationships pose some challenges.
People in general are more attracted to people who are more similar to them.
Reply 17
TBH, I find that white women are MORE likely to go for men of other races, than women of any other race in the UK right now, so not sure why you singled them out?

While your theory has SOME merit to it, I highly doubt that it's an overriding/very important factor
Personal tastes, dude, seriously! I have dated white, black and asian people (of both genders) and find Indian guys particularly attractive (but they don't seem to find me attractive!) and I'm of mixed race (white/asian). I'm sure you'll find that people will be attracted to each other regardless of race, although there can be a preference of course!
LOL.. sorry but that is a load of crap..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending