This discussion is closed.
Daenerys
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I'm not wishing to dampen the enthusiasm of prospective freshers or students who are having a great time. No denying this is a top class place for education and meeting interesting people... heh, perhaps I'm talking my way out of posting this topic here... but if there any current students who want to have a good moan about troubles, whether with fitting in or their course, lousy collections or essay crisises, please come post them here!

Personally I've been surprised to find myself struggling with depression and academic doubts in the past two terms, especially as previously I had never seriously doubted my general social and academic ability. The course has been a bit up and down and it seems here I am again, writing an essay late at night for a topic that I just can't seem to get clear in my mind no matter how many textbooks I try and read Suppose I'm just looking to commiserate, really, sad as that sounds! Has it been as everyone else expected?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daenerys)
I'm not wishing to dampen the enthusiasm of prospective freshers or students who are having a great time. No denying this is a top class place for education and meeting interesting people... heh, perhaps I'm talking my way out of posting this topic here... but if there any current students who want to have a good moan about troubles, whether with fitting in or their course, lousy collections or essay crisises, please come post them here!

Personally I've been surprised to find myself struggling with depression and academic doubts in the past two terms, especially as previously I had never seriously doubted my general social and academic ability. The course has been a bit up and down and it seems here I am again, writing an essay late at night for a topic that I just can't seem to get clear in my mind no matter how many textbooks I try and read Suppose I'm just looking to commiserate, really, sad as that sounds! Has it been as everyone else expected?

Oh god, don't tempt me... I'd never before felt as stupid as I have over the past two terms. Doesn't help that my supervision partner for three of my weekly supervisions, though he's a lovely guy, is an utter genius and I haven't a hope of coming close to his standard... Workload is permanently over my head and the more I do the more I seem to get set - it's neverending.

And yet, despite the work, the stress and the constant battles with depression, I love the place and don't want to go home...
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Oh god, don't tempt me... I'd never before felt as stupid as I have over the past two terms. Doesn't help that my supervision partner for three of my weekly supervisions, though he's a lovely guy, is an utter genius and I haven't a hope of coming close to his standard... Workload is permanently over my head and the more I do the more I seem to get set - it's neverending.

And yet, despite the work, the stress and the constant battles with depression, I love the place and don't want to go home...
It's a very competitive place - sometimes that can just get a bit much.

Ben
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In the middle of an essay crisis right now. Don't even get me started!! The pressure of having as much work to do in a week as some other people have to do in a term really gets me down sometimes. And on top of that I have Prelims in just over 2 weeks :eek:
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well good luck to all of you! lol hang in there, it's all worth it in the end! just remember, short terms...! + next year i'll be saying the same [lol] to all the other enthusiastic new freshers lol (provided i get the grades!)
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Most people doubt their academic ability at least at some point during their undergraduate degree. I think this is especially as A levels, relative to even first year degree work, appear so basic. I think there is less of a surprise if you bare in mind that pre university level qualifications do not really measure academic ability too well. These doubts regarding ability tend to occur at most of the competitive universities, to most of the people that are there.

I think the first year is perhaps the most difficult, and for me personally the final year was the easiest. The work is of course of a higher standard as you progress through university, but it's just that you are better equipped in dealing with it by that time.
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
from reading what other people have written i think oxford made the right decision in rejecting me because there is no way i would have been able to cope with the preassure. At Bristol i was bad enough about doubting my academic abilty but if i was in oxford i think i would have just felt so stupid and depressed.

Good luck to evryone there at the mo/next year and even though it is really though just think about teh prospects you'll ahve when you leave.
blissy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Am in middle of essay crisis, yet have no motivation. Feeling down + loads of work = no work done because you're feeling too low, and then you get even lower because you've got laods of work. <sigh>
~U~Teedy~U~
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

You don't read George R. R. Martin do ya?
Daenerys
Heehee, how could you guess!
Daenerys
(Original post by J.S.)
Most people doubt their academic ability at least at some point during their undergraduate degree. I think this is especially as A levels, relative to even first year degree work, appear so basic. I think there is less of a surprise if you bare in mind that pre university level qualifications do not really measure academic ability too well. These doubts regarding ability tend to occur at most of the competitive universities, to most of the people that are there.

I think the first year is perhaps the most difficult, and for me personally the final year was the easiest. The work is of course of a higher standard as you progress through university, but it's just that you are better equipped in dealing with it by that time.
True... just sometimes feels like I'm just not learning enough, odd as that sounds. Lectures are okay but the only time you put theory into practice are in tutes, for which I invariably end up writing essays full of stuff I don't understand....

I get told mixed things about the 2nd and 3rd years, making me wonder if I'm taking my first year too seriously
Ben.S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
True... just sometimes feels like I'm just not learning enough, odd as that sounds. Lectures are okay but the only time you put theory into practice are in tutes, for which I invariably end up writing essays full of stuff I don't understand....

I get told mixed things about the 2nd and 3rd years, making me wonder if I'm taking my first year too seriously
What are you doing and where are you?

Ben
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
group project atm... ahhh!
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol doing what?
Daenerys
(Original post by Ben.S.)
What are you doing and where are you?

Ben
I'm doing Biology at Oxford.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (233)
39.29%
Take autumn exams (177)
29.85%
Look for a job (20)
3.37%
Consider an apprenticeship (23)
3.88%
Take a year out (105)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (35)
5.9%

Watched Threads