Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just that i want to do sports science at uni and i think they like to see leadership skills but ive not done any coaching r anything. i was thinking of saying that i help with coaching athletics as ive been doing athletics for 5 years but done no coaching

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    just that i want to do sports science at uni and i think they like to see leadership skills but ive not done any coaching r anything. i was thinking of saying that i help with coaching athletics as ive been doing athletics for 5 years but done no coaching
    Don't lie, its not that i am against lying its just that if they find out they will throw your application away and other universities might find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    As long as its something you don't have to prove, and that you can talk about it in the interview because they can trick you etc. then yes.

But be careful - and don't dare lie about grades, they'll screw you big time..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Don't lie, its not that i am against lying its just that if they find out they will throw your application away and other universities might find out
    how can they find out about your hobbies though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    Good point, it isn't advisable, certainly.

ReputationRep:
    I said I was vice-captain of the school hockey team which had a 100% win record. I wasn't vice captain but a senior at least, and we did have a 100% win record, we only played Bow Boys and beat them 2-0, I missed that game through a toe injury...

And I put that I represented my school in basketball at national level. It was one qualifier, I was a substitute and only got a three-pointer. The school went on to become national champions (again!) though...

Just don't get caught, and be economical with the truth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    I said I was vice-captain of the school hockey team which had a 100% win record. I wasn't vice captain but a senior at least, and we did have a 100% win record, we only played Bow Boys and beat them 2-0, I missed that game through a toe injury...

And I put that I represented my school in basketball at national level. It was one qualifier, I was a substitute and only got a three-pointer. The school went on to become national champions (again!) though...

Just don't get caught, and be economical with the truth
    ok im applying late anyway so i doubt ill have to attend an interview

ReputationRep:
    as long as you can talk about it intelligently when they ask you about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    as long as you can talk about it intelligently when they ask you about it.
    I dunno about the UK but here students only tell uni's about hobbies and the schools transfer marks so we never handle them. The university chooses your top 6, including pre-req's.. When you apply you usually have to fill a supplementary form ( lol i should start that very very very soon) and they ask you for contacts, hours, description of what you do and your responsibilities.. and all applications to Ontario universities are done through the same company so if you get caught lying other will probably find out.... probably a lot different in uk

ReputationRep:
    you should never lie on a personal statement, just know how to make yourself stand out.

the first paragraph of my personal statement was, "the Borg, a race of cyborgs for star trek, believe individuality is irrelivent. I disagree"

ReputationRep:
    how the hell can you lie about grades?

ReputationRep:
    I lied a load on my personal statement. As long as you can blag it its fine. Luckily - the 2 times Ive been asked about something it was to do with something I didnt lie about. At one of the interviews the guy asked me when I did Judo(a lie - I dont do it) so I just had to make up some random days and times. I said I did it on Tuesdays and Thursdays 7-9.30 and every other week I do it on a Saturday from 10-12. Thankfully he didnt ask anymore about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    you should never lie on a personal statement, just know how to make yourself stand out.

the first paragraph of my personal statement was, "the Borg, a race of cyborgs for star trek, believe individuality is irrelivent. I disagree"
    Well - that was a rubbish opening line - Im surprised you got any offers with a first line as bad as that.

ReputationRep:
    My form teacher told me that the first paragraph should be unique, so I did.

and, I got offers back to all of the unis I applied to.

ReputationRep:

Yeh, and they tell that to everyone, so by having some corny opening line which has clearly had 100 hours of thought put into it doesnt really make it so unique. And that was REALLY REALLY corny dude

I didnt mean that comment^^ nastily by the way :P

ReputationRep:

When do u guys find out about acceptance? i have to wait for late april

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    When do u guys find out about acceptance? i have to wait for late april
    It depends when you apply and where you apply. Basically If you apply to a University and they want you they send you a letter asking you for an interview/give you an offer. Some Unis take less than a week to reply some take 6 months - just depends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    It depends when you apply and where you apply. Basically If you apply to a University and they want you they send you a letter asking you for an interview/give you an offer. Some Unis take less than a week to reply some take 6 months - just depends.
    wow thats fast.. the universities dont even see our marks until mid march,, we apply in december and get letters in april/may

ReputationRep:

cool im trying ta think of a unique line for mine but so far all ive got is 'During the past years i have taken a particular interest in sport and science' . is this ok or is it not unique enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    wow thats fast.. the universities dont even see our marks until mid march,, we apply in december and get letters in april/may
    The Universitys dont give us offers based on our marks - they do it on our predicted marks basically. Whether or not you get into a particular University depends on whether or not you get the marks they ask you to get.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.