Watch
This discussion is closed.
emmz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
The Universitys dont give us offers based on our marks - they do it on our predicted marks basically. Whether or not you get into a particular University depends on whether or not you get the marks they ask you to get.
so im not gonna get in coz im predicted a grade lower than required?
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MuniE)
wow thats fast.. the universities dont even see our marks until mid march,, we apply in december and get letters in april/may
I'll make it a little clearer, we get offers, which are just that, they are offers based on conditions, ie the exam results we get.

They will know from our applications which exams we are to take in May/June, and if they like you based wholy from your choice of subjects, previous performances, a personal statement, and a referee, then they may make an offer which says what you will need to get in those exams to get in.

That is the bit that can take a week or up to 6 months - we don't get our places confirmed until those exam results come out, which is mid-August, for a first symester starting late September.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
No, i was just trying to explain what happens with regards to marks/grades.
MuniE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
I'll make it a little clearer, we get offers, which are just that, they are offers based on conditions, ie the exam results we get.

They will know from our applications which exams we are to take in May/June, and if they like you based wholy from your choice of subjects, previous performances, a personal statement, and a referee, then they may make an offer which says what you will need to get in those exams to get in.

That is the bit that can take a week or up to 6 months - we don't get our places confirmed until those exam results come out, which is mid-August, for a first symester starting late September.
ok so its pretty much the same then except they offer conditional acceptances at midterm and full ones in july
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
The predicted grades give the University some idea of whether you have got the potential to get in based on their entry requirements.

Obviously if you are a million miles away, they aren't going to make an offer, if you are 1 grade shy in your predicted grades, then you are very likely to get an offer, even being a couple of grades short won't stop you getting an offer, but you might get the offer and think, that's waaaay above me, I'm not going to put that down as CF/CI.

When it comes to the actual results, they are normally maybe 1 grade leniant, (if there are spaces), in comparison to the offer made, and your performance.

I don't think you have any thing to worry about with regards to getting an offer.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The predicted grades give the University some idea of whether you have got the potential to get in based on their entry requirements.

Obviously if you are a million miles away, they aren't going to make an offer, if you are 1 grade shy in your predicted grades, then you are very likely to get an offer, even being a couple of grades short won't stop you getting an offer, but you might get the offer and think, that's waaaay above me, I'm not going to put that down as CF/CI.

When it comes to the actual results, they are normally maybe 1 grade leniant, (if there are spaces), in comparison to the offer made, and your performance.

I don't think you have any thing to worry about with regards to getting an offer.
Yeh my predicted grades were A/B B C and I still got offers from Universitys wanting higher grades.
emmz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago

thanx i dont think u realise how crap my predictions r though lol. at the mo im predicted 3 d's coz i missed all the assesments but the requirements are 3 c's. im thinking of persuading my teachers though to put them up and also writing something on the personal statement about aiming to improve by the exams. is this a good idea do u think?

anyway uve helped loads thanks
love_4_ducks
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
just that i want to do sports science at uni and i think they like to see leadership skills but ive not done any coaching r anything. i was thinking of saying that i help with coaching athletics as ive been doing athletics for 5 years but done no coaching

just becareful they dont ask for a example of this
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
I said I was vice-captain of the school hockey team which had a 100% win record. I wasn't vice captain but a senior at least, and we did have a 100% win record, we only played Bow Boys and beat them 2-0, I missed that game through a toe injury...

And I put that I represented my school in basketball at national level. It was one qualifier, I was a substitute and only got a three-pointer. The school went on to become national champions (again!) though...

Just don't get caught, and be economical with the truth
hehe - this made me remember

I put that I was Liverpool and District Ladies Life Saving Champion - which was true - I just didn't mention that for the 3 yrs I won the first yr I beat 3 people and the second yr I beat 1 - the third yr they let me keep the trophy and the title because noone bothered to enter

I also put that I regularly busked for charity when in fact I'd done it twice - and the first time I was just turning the music over.

I mentioned the fact that I was a head prefect when in fact all the sixth formers got given this title

the shame
emom100
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
everyone embellsihes slightly though, it think they expect it.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lying is a part of life. Do it often, and do it BIG!

My resume is 30% truth, 30% slightly twisted truth, and 40% complete lies (even including a 3 year period with the Intelligence Corps) I've never been challenged on any of it.......as a matter of fact the lies have served my purpose much more than the truth!!

Remember, the BIGGER the lie, the easier it is to pull it off.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Lying is a part of life. Do it often, and do it BIG!

My resume is 30% truth, 30% slightly twisted truth, and 40% complete lies (even including a 3 year period with the Intelligence Corps) I've never been challenged on any of it.......as a matter of fact the lies have served my purpose much more than the truth!!

Remember, the BIGGER the lie, the easier it is to pull it off.
I don't believe you
kissit
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I don't believe you
tell em lies, lies and more lies......why not!! If you ever get found out (its unlikely) blame it on your blind ambition! lol
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
I don't believe you
It's true.....honest
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Absolutely, I'm the same. As long as you're not completely dumb and can field any questions they may throw at you, you're free to invent absolutely anything they can't disprove.
Yes, there's no point saying you were a NASA scientist when the rest of your resume suggests you were more at home as a lab technician at fuc*wit institute of FE.

However, good, powerful, well reseached lies, go an awful long way.
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I discovered fire.
iiikewldude
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by emmz)
just that i want to do sports science at uni and i think they like to see leadership skills but ive not done any coaching r anything. i was thinking of saying that i help with coaching athletics as ive been doing athletics for 5 years but done no coaching
I'd say only if u know u will not get an interview. Or if u feel you could lie your way through an interview without being found out, go for it. The thing is though if you like or exagerate you it could make you really, really nervous and paranoid during your interview and you could muck it up.
m 69 d
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
you should never lie on a personal statement, just know how to make yourself stand out.

the first paragraph of my personal statement was, "the Borg, a race of cyborgs for star trek, believe individuality is irrelivent. I disagree"
In the words of gossip_girl, "OMG LMAO LOLOLOL!!!!!111oneoneone"
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (146)
24.75%
Better than expected (129)
21.86%
Worse than expected (315)
53.39%

Watched Threads