The Student Room Group

Maths Studies 2012 TZ2 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I did horrible on my functions and calculus... :/
But everything else I did really well. Only other problem was the probability question on P2, I thought it was trickier than usual... I also didn't have time for q5 on P2. Anyone else who didn't manage to finish?
Reply 61
Forgive my condescension but whats to discuss in Maths Studies -.-
Original post by Hyaline

I'm willing to accept that maths studies is, for the most part, ridiculously easy, but there are parts of it that do overlap with SL maths. Also, theoretically easy questions were worded really strangely on the exam. And it's just nice to discuss things so you feel secure about how you did.

I don't think any of us are saying that it was a complete disaster, or that the paper itself was too hard. We're just discussing the answers. I wouldn't post in an ESS or an ab Initio languages thread being like "what's to discuss...?", so I don't see why you should in a maths studies thread. Different people are good at different things.

And for the record, I did Maths SL for a year before I dropped down to studies, realising that the Universities didn't care, as I was applying for MML... :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Hyaline

I'm going to agree with the post above me. I did Maths SL and switched to studies in the last minute. Nobody really cares whether you do studies when you are going to study English lit. at uni... Studies and SL carry the same amount of points. Why study for SL for 5 hours to get a 7 when I can study 2.5 for Studies and get the same grade?
Original post by WLDL3
I'm going to agree with the post above me. I did Maths SL and switched to studies in the last minute. Nobody really cares whether you do studies when you are going to study English lit. at uni... Studies and SL carry the same amount of points. Why study for SL for 5 hours to get a 7 when I can study 2.5 for Studies and get the same grade?

Exactly why I chose to do studies! I could have done SL, but I'd rather spend the time I would have studied for SL doing something else, like history or chemistry...
Reply 65
You guys are right, studies is the smart option if you aren't planning on doing anything maths related at uni :smile:.
Original post by Hyaline
You guys are right, studies is the smart option if you aren't planning on doing anything maths related at uni :smile:.

...and I'm guessing you are :biggrin:
Reply 67
Original post by beautiful-lion
...and I'm guessing you are :biggrin:

Economics ^^, but I have an unconditional so LSE can go screw itself- that is assuming I fail to achieve a 6 in HL maths, which is a possibility given how bad the option went -.-. So yes you guys made a really good decision ^^.
Reply 68
I'm in math studies and Im going to study economics and I haven't had a problem with universities. I mean yes there are some that require math SL/HL but not all.
Reply 69
Do any of you guys remember what you got for the Mt. Everest question? The height at which water boils at 70 degrees or something similar! It was really easy, and I was positive I had it right, but I came out and everyone else got 8000-something, and I got 50,000 metres, which seems like a ridiculous difference.. I'm pretty much sure I'm wrong, but I'd like to know where I went wrong.

The equation was like -0.0034hx100 (h=height) (I THINK)

So if you put 50,000 in the equation, it comes out with 70 degrees..

Anyone else remember what they got? Thanks
Reply 70
Original post by Elouise94
Do any of you guys remember what you got for the Mt. Everest question? The height at which water boils at 70 degrees or something similar! It was really easy, and I was positive I had it right, but I came out and everyone else got 8000-something, and I got 50,000 metres, which seems like a ridiculous difference.. I'm pretty much sure I'm wrong, but I'd like to know where I went wrong.

The equation was like -0.0034hx100 (h=height) (I THINK)

So if you put 50,000 in the equation, it comes out with 70 degrees..

Anyone else remember what they got? Thanks

It was +100, not x100
I remember because the a. answer was 100 since you substitute 0 as height (sea level)

And I'm pretty sure the second one was to find the height at 8000 degrees, so you put it instead of T and find h.. but I'm really not sure... it was a while ago...
Original post by WLDL3
It was +100, not x100
I remember because the a. answer was 100 since you substitute 0 as height (sea level)

And I'm pretty sure the second one was to find the height at 8000 degrees, so you put it instead of T and find h.. but I'm really not sure... it was a while ago...

The first part of that is definitely right - it was +100
Reply 72
Original post by WLDL3
It was +100, not x100

Oh yeah, it was +100, but that still makes my 50,000 metres thing make sense right, or am I missing something? I'm talking about the last part of that question, where you had to find the height of the mountain, if the water boiled at 70degrees!
Reply 73
Original post by Elouise94
Oh yeah, it was +100, but that still makes my 50,000 metres thing make sense right, or am I missing something? I'm talking about the last part of that question, where you had to find the height of the mountain, if the water boiled at 70degrees!

Well, if it's set up the way you said it is, then you had the right answer. I'm trying to remember that b) or c) part, but nothing comes to mind. Don't stress it... you probably did it right. (:
Reply 74
Original post by WLDL3
Well, if it's set up the way you said it is, then you had the right answer. I'm trying to remember that b) or c) part, but nothing comes to mind. Don't stress it... you probably did it right. (:

Urgh, yeah its not going to help by stressing, I can't change it now haha!

Thanks man :smile:
Reply 75
Do you guys think grade boundaries will be high this year because the exam was not as bad as previour years?
Reply 76
Original post by meittarn
Do you guys think grade boundaries will be high this year because the exam was not as bad as previour years?

If they change, it'll be by 1-2 points.
Original post by jmfer1
I only have 4 pages from paper 2...

could you please send me those 4 pages
Reply 78
Hi, since you're all taking maths studies, i was wondering where you were planning to work. also, do you take physics at any level? how hard is it??? :eek::eek:

I made two threads about this previously, but I didn't really take them into real consideration as i should of. I was told that maths studies is pointless, and from my understanding, my subject choice of physics, chemistry , and economics is useless and would end me unemployed????????

hey, why did you do maths studies anyways? :p:confused::colondollar:

I would really really really appreciate a reply! i am panicking about this now and it's really uncomfortable seeing myself in trouble after ib while i could have taken a simple old domestic/national curriculum like others (just to avoid this sort of complication ), even though i don't want to.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending