Past Exam Paper Solutions

Watch
Poll: Do you get solutions to past exam papers?
Yes (5)
10.87%
No (41)
89.13%
This discussion is closed.
heyimbored
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I was talking to my girlfriend about this earlier, and it got us wondering. Which universities (/departments) provide the solutions to their past exam papers?

I was at York uni last year and they provided them, and I used them regularly to aid in revision and practicing questions, but I transferred to Liverpool this year and they don't provide them 'as part of university policy', and it's the one thing that irritates me because I found them really useful. Most of my lecturers do go over a paper in a revision lecture, and one lecturer has given a few answers to some questions as part of a set of revision notes, but it's only a few questions and isn't really a substitute for a full set of 4 or 5 sets of answers to complete papers.

So who gets the solutions, and who's left to guess?

EDIT: State your university as well
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
We get the last 3 years. It's dangerous because I mean I took a maths exam the other day where I had seen every single question (and solutions) beforehand. If I hadn't forgotten a few points I could of scored close to 100% simply through memorization. Of course this isn't the case with all modules, but it is common with many.

The problem is, there is only so many questions they can ask. If you have the last 5 years papers for instance, it's unlikely anything is going to come up that you haven't at least seen something very similar of before.

Then again, some modules don't have any homeworks, and don't have many examples in the notes, so you rely on these papers to get a feeling for the questions.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I'm at UEA and its policy here not to provide solutions.
Kelz_26
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
At Edinburgh University we don't get them. I can only speak for the sciences but I am sure they don't provide past paper answers for other subjects either. I find it very annoying when it comes to revision, I used to rely on them a lot at school and now I don't have clue if I am doing the questions correctly or not. I think it's because a lot of the questions are recycled, especially multiple choice. They don't even give us the multiple choice past questions, never mind answers. But they do sometimes make up some practice ones for us.
NaUmarly
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I get the solutions to past papers; there is a definite possibility that you could pass a paper by relying on past papers and the associated solutions alone, since you'd be familiar with all the questions that tend to crop up.
hhhhhhhhhh1
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi Where do you know how get get passed paper solution if it is not provide by uni.
Fritata
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm in the University of the West of Scotland, and their policy is that they don't provide solutions and answers. They do mention that you can ask teachers for the solutions (but I highly doubt the teachers will accept such a request). It's quite annoying, because in high school I did the IB and I remember finding all the answers to most past papers online. Which is very useful to get used to the structure they want in the short/long essay questions. Of course, each year the questions are different in all subjects.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads