The Student Room Group

I've realised that an art degree doesn't matter

I came to this conclusion when I realised that I've gained more experience in 6 months of work experience at a design studio rather than my 3 years at university.

An art degree is mostly based around how much research you can do. You can submit a print of a circle, triangle and some text that you spent 6.5 hours kerning, along with 40 pages of research and a mood board that looks like it came from a nursery and i'll be damned if you don't get an A*. The only problem with this is your potential employer doesn't want to see your 40 pages of research, your mood board or even the type that you spent 6.5 hours kerning.

If you want some real experience, go to a design studio and offer your services for free. Experience is something an art degree won't give you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Same thing applies to other "art" subjects such as game design. I mean you can join a video game indie team and learn it for free if you want to make your own games - you don't even need to pay £9,000 a year to learn an art form.

Experience and doing it yourself is better for the arts.
Reply 2
I think this is the case with a lot of degrees. Once you get into the actual career its not as easy as writing about it. It's about getting that experience afterwards though so I wouldn't say your degree doesn't matter.

Where my dad works they hire graduates into supervisory roles that have never even had a job before and they get a huge shock when they have no idea what they are doing. They have experienced people working below them that feel very frustrated at the lack of knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest