Watch
This discussion is closed.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Earth almost put on impact alert

funny how the american president is always the first one informed, whjat would he have done about it?
aaarrrggh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Wow. Pretty scary stuff really. I've always pretty much taken it for granted that if a meteor ever was going to hit the earth, we'd have probably years worth of notice before the event. Not exactly reasuring to find out that if we had been hit, we'd have had only 4 days before impact.
m00se
Report 17 years ago
There's a very interesting article here

http://128.102.38.40/impact/news_detail.cfm?ID=135

about that
yOUR_dESTINY
Report 17 years ago
At least it diddnt hit
Cate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
funny how the american president is always the first one informed, whjat would he have done about it?
He would have sent up a crazy team of oil drillers to plant a nuclear bomb on it :rolleyes:
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Wudnt It B Weird If This Actually Happened...?
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
The Earth's been hit by big asteroids a few times, generally wiping most of the life out on it each time. Last one was the dinosaur one, apparently. Its supposed to come in cycles, to do with the solar system's position in the galaxy or something. The next one is due anytime soon. But don't worry kids.
The earth is more likely to be hit by an asteroid when it is in the outer edge of the galaxy, as the solar system moves round the galaxy, apparently. As horizon never fails to tell us, we are currently in the outer edge of the galaxy.
suspicious_fish
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The Earth's been hit by big asteroids a few times, generally wiping most of the life out on it each time. Last one was the dinosaur one, apparently. Its supposed to come in cycles, to do with the solar system's position in the galaxy or something. The next one is due anytime soon. But don't worry kids.
I thought that wasn't confirmed? That the asteroid theory is still justa theory. Though it does seem somewhat likely.
(Oh, and please don't turn this into a religious/creationist type thread....)
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's ok tho as Cate said. Bruce Willis will sacrifice himself to save us all!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeah... tell us to not worry after all that... lol
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Are they unavoidable?
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Its not really. But its true that there have been several mass extinctions which are thought to be linked to collisions, and which have happened in regular cycles (250 million years I think).
Yeah, but they have also been linked to massive volcanic eruptions, changes in atmospheric conditiones etc. Apparently, Yellowstone National Park is a massive super volcano that is due to blow up any day now, plumeting world temperatures and causing mass destruction...
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Its not really. But its true that there have been several mass extinctions which are thought to be linked to collisions, and which have happened in regular cycles (250 million years I think).
ouch
suspicious_fish
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
eep.
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How do you avoid a big old rock flying through space at you, unless you've got Bruce and the boys?

Even a relatively small collision could completely wipe us out, especially if it hits the sea, tidal waves agogo - settlements are disproportionately close to the sea, but that doesn't really matter when the waves are miles high.
Can't you launch a nuke at it or something? OR A TRACTOR BEAM!?! PLEASE, SAVE US!!
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Well the K/T boundary (ooh getting all technical) was definitely a collision according to most people informed on the subject. Volcanoes and earthquakes can do crazy stuff too though, big landslides can cause tidal waves... we're all doomed!
Hehe yeah! THere is also a volcano that is about to collapse somewhere on an island on the coast of africa that will send a tidal wave so big that it will destroy the entire east coast of america :eek:
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
How do you avoid a big old rock flying through space at you, unless you've got Bruce and the boys?

Even a relatively small collision could completely wipe us out, especially if it hits the sea, tidal waves agogo - settlements are disproportionately close to the sea, but that doesn't really matter when the waves are miles high.
god. wud the UK b wiped out or wud the midlands b ok? lol
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I heard something similar but thought it was South America.
Nah, is it was in south america the tidal wave would destroy africa, and I definately read that it was the east coast of america that is going to be destroyed. The wave, which will supposedly be something like 50 times the height of the empire state building, will travel across the Atlantic destroying all it its path. I'm glad I live in england :eek:
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Why not just beam us all up to the Moon or fly away with our jet powered rocket pants?
Well hehe!

If they spotted it soon enough would a big nuke not be enough to change it's course? Or have I been watching too many movies :|

I doubt it'll happen our lifetime anyway so who cares eh?!
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Well hehe!

If they spotted it soon enough would a big nuke not be enough to change it's course? Or have I been watching too many movies :|

I doubt it'll happen our lifetime anyway so who cares eh?!
Hehe, they might, but I think someone has been watching too many movies

The earth is apparently going to be hit by an asteroid in something like 2800, so we ought to have time to prepare!
That is, if the world hasn't been taken over by machines by then
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (233)
75.16%
No (77)
24.84%

Watched Threads