This discussion is closed.
lumpycustard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
Well hehe!

If they spotted it soon enough would a big nuke not be enough to change it's course? Or have I been watching too many movies :|

I doubt it'll happen our lifetime anyway so who cares eh?!
but it might...
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
but it might...
well if we find out we're gonna die ill drop everything and take you to disney land
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Gimp)
well if we find out we're gonna die ill drop everything and take you to disney land
well that just makes it all worth it then!!!! thaaaaaaaaanks!!!
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Ah well I haven't read any of this stuff for years. Isn't a tidal wave how the Minoans got destroyed following an eruption or have I got my wires crossed?
They were probably destroyed by an earthquake, according to archeologists.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmm thought that was disproven, since buildings were left standing etc but I'm not an expert. Someone in ancient history was destroyed by a tidal wave but I forget who.
Oh, after looking at article in more detail, there was apparently a volcano as well.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hooray I'm not going daft after all. Is it the volcano that destoyed the island it was on, and caused a tidal wave to rush away?
Hmmm... Good grief! They must have had a hard time! It says that the volcanic eruption split the island into several smaller ones, then earthquakes caused by the volcano caused tidal waves. :eek:
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
wot yer talkin bout now? im lost
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
wot yer talkin bout now? im lost
The destruction of the Minoans
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Remember we are talking about space so anytime soon is like some time in the next 100,000 years or so.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
See, the pig meister tells it like it is. Oh the useless information I have.
Hehe, it's not useless, it's interesting
m00se
Report 16 years ago
Even a relatively small collision could completely wipe us out, especially if it hits the sea, tidal waves agogo - settlements are disproportionately close to the sea, but that doesn't really matter when the waves are miles high.
There was a study into this three years ago, in which it was calculated that the rock that hits earth would need to be only 12 miles (about the size of Brighton & Hove) in diameter to cause a Global Event - that is, to cause the total extinction of all life forms on the planet, bar none (no, not even the cockroach theory holds up here ).

12 miles. That's not big :/
m00se
Report 16 years ago
We're doomed I tell you, doomed!
Yup. Basically
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Remember we are talking about space so anytime soon is like some time in the next 100,000 years or so.
but the scientists gave the impact as "in 2 days time"
Babygal
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why was this not broadcasted, did they only just find out, if they did, god what idiots the brits are
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If they did broadcast it the public would have went crazy, like in the films you would see looting and all, crimes going on.
elpaw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Babygal)
Why was this not broadcasted, did they only just find out, if they did, god what idiots the brits are
bush was going to announce it in his big "15 bln a year to send men to mars" speech, but the scientists ruled out the asteroid hitting the earth.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
bush was going to announce it in his big "15 bln a year to send men to mars" speech, but the scientists ruled out the asteroid hitting the earth.
What is the point in Bush being told first though? It's not like he can personally do anything about it.
elpaw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cate)
What is the point in Bush being told first though? It's not like he can personally do anything about it.
i dont know. i think it is because it was NASA scientists that discovered it.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
i dont know. i think it is because it was NASA scientists that discovered it.
Hmm... shouldn't they be thinking of something to do about it rather than wasting their time on the phone to Bush...
elpaw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cate)
Hmm... shouldn't they be thinking of something to do about it rather than wasting their time on the phone to Bush...
which is what they were doing, they were calculating its trajectory, they didnt actually phone him in the end.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (178)
24.65%
Better than expected (145)
20.08%
Worse than expected (399)
55.26%

Watched Threads