Psychological Approaches - Psychoanalytic Etc.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hey, today is friday, and i have done no revision for psychology and my exam is next monday, i am hoping that i can revise enough at the weekend . the only thing i worry about is the approaches.... psycho analitic etc. is their any quick way of remebering them and the psychologists?
email " [email protected]
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hello

Just focus on the main points and try to remember them.

Biological - concerned with genes, hormones and the brain. Behaviour is affected by biological needs. Body created predispositions on behaviour.

Behavioural - behaviour is controlled by conditioning. Positive and negative reinforcement affects peoples behaviour. You could look at Pavlov and his dogs for Operant conditioning. Maybe look at Albert (baby afraid of rats etc) for classical conditioning.

Cognitive - the way people think. Their cognitions. Behaviour is affected by the way people process info.

Psychodynamic - Freud, Freud, Freud. Look at the id, ego and superego. Maybe the stages of development and the ego defences.

Humanistic - consentrate on Maslow and his hierarchy to reach self-actualisation.

Once you have the key concepts, you can easily change them to meet the demands of a question. They can explain negative and positive behaviour.

Hope that helps. If it doesnt, maybe next time you should just start revising earlier. I have exams in a weeks time and I started revising before easter. Its not difficult. If you do a bit at a time, you dont have to struggle trying to cram it all in at the last minute. You can go over bits you dont understand.

Helen Brownsell
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by HelenBrownsell
Behavioural - behaviour is controlled by conditioning. Positive and negative reinforcement affects peoples behaviour. You could look at Pavlov and his dogs for Operant conditioning. Maybe look at Albert (baby afraid of rats etc) for classical conditioning.
Doh!

Pavlov was classical conditioning and Skinner was operant conditioning, Watson and Rayner (Little Albert) was classical conditioning.

Classical conditioning is associations - so the dog that produce the savliva do so because they associated the bell with food.

Operant conditioning is rewards and punishment.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
PS. Humanistic is out of the syllabus now - don't waste time revising that because you will gain no points or have no questions on it.
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Youre right. How stupid of me to get them mixed up. I knew the names were wrong but I couldnt be bothered to look them up. I should have looked at the syllabus as well to check which approaches needed to be learned.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
We all make mistakes.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Which syllabus is humanistic out of?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (309)
34.45%
No (588)
65.55%

Watched Threads