The Student Room Group

AS Sociology Unit 1: Families & Households 17th May 2012

I couldn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd start one. Is anybody taking this exam?

Predictions? Revision methods? Advise?

I'm quite worried about it as I'm retaking.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anybody else find it near-impossible to write two well constructed, thought-out, planned essays within a 1-hour slot when you also have to answer 4 other questions?

I find this ridiculously restrictive and unfair but I don't seem to hear this bothering anyone else.

Last year I failed miserably because I had to rush through it all and ended up not writing enough because I did not have 'time'. I find this an unfair and inaccurate measure of knowledge and ability due to studying 32 weeks of a year and then giving you one hoop to jump through and if you miss you fail. After all that hard work? It makes me rage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm retaking too, my teacher seems to think a long answer question on childhood could come up.

The best way to revise is by doing exam questions, that kind of helps me (considering its my exam technique)

Good Luck anyway :smile:
Reply 3
I'm pretty worried, its my second exam and I am also retaking but since starting the other topic of health I've barely looked at familys and households. I cant even remember is i two 24 markers and a selection of 2 4 or 6. I struggled with time the last time I attempted this exam. Its hard to do a mark a minute.:frown:
Reply 4
Original post by hallyy7
I'm retaking too, my teacher seems to think a long answer question on childhood could come up.

The best way to revise is by doing exam questions, that kind of helps me (considering its my exam technique)

So does mine! I really hope so. We did a mock on it and i had no idea what i was writing, but it was about childhood. I wrote something about 'babies with beards' and he was like '?????'. But i knew i'd heard it somewhere. Just got my wires crossed slightly! Ended up with 90% on the paper.

As long as Marxist/Functionalist come up. Or Childhood, death rates, birth rates declining. I'll be fine. Anything else, maybe not.

My teacher said demography is usually a favourite too.
I just hate that i can't remember names of specific things and then lose marks even though i know i know it!
Is this WJEC?
Reply 6
Original post by Miracle Day
Is this WJEC?

AQA i think. (That's what i was talking about anyway)
Reply 7
Original post by Mojojojo
So does mine! I really hope so. We did a mock on it and i had no idea what i was writing, but it was about childhood. I wrote something about 'babies with beards' and he was like '?????'. But i knew i'd heard it somewhere. Just got my wires crossed slightly! Ended up with 90% on the paper.

As long as Marxist/Functionalist come up. Or Childhood, death rates, birth rates declining. I'll be fine. Anything else, maybe not.

My teacher said demography is usually a favourite too.
I just hate that i can't remember names of specific things and then lose marks even though i know i know it!

Yeah demography was another thing she mentioned, population would be great to talk about!
Reply 8
Original post by hallyy7

My teacher thinks a big childhood question is due too, she's also been making us focus on diversity too, so maybe that could be another subtle hint? :smile:

I'm really struggling on revising though, I haven't studied this since last year.. does anyone have any revision tips?
Reply 9
I don't take A level sociology ATM but I take it at GCSES and if you're worried on the wise about the keywords, my advice would be buy the AQA sociology book.

Yeah neg the smartness.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
3rd time i'll be doing this paper lol..

Got C's both times, so annoying to get an A!

Find it pretty amusing seeing as i got an A in Education and an A* in Religion haha..

Just gunna keep doing essays!

Got a feeling Marxism will come up, hasn't in a while..
Reply 11
How is everyone getting on with revision?
I'm feeling pretty confident. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by ohmyBEAUT
How is everyone getting on with revision?
I'm feeling pretty confident. :biggrin:

Can't. Bring. Myself. To. Revise.

How do you revise? Just write essays?
Reply 13
Original post by hallyy7
Yeah demography was another thing she mentioned, population would be great to talk about!

What? Population?
What would you say about that? :O
Reply 14
Can't. Bring. Myself. To. Revise.

How do you revise? Just write essays?

I get bored pretty easily when it comes to Sociology. But push that all aside, we want to pass afterall.
I made flashcards with key information on all topics and practise exam questions. Sometimes I just plan them in depth.
Reply 15
Original post by ohmyBEAUT
I get bored pretty easily when it comes to Sociology. But push that all aside, we want to pass afterall.
I made flashcards with key information on all topics and practise exam questions. Sometimes I just plan them in depth.

I did flash cards for the education/research methods, only a few days before and kept looking over them. We seem to finish a month/two early with my teacher so then we just practice questions until the exam. I got a mid B. I want an A at As, but i don't think that's likely at all. I need 51 or 52/60 in this paper :/ I can't really make flash cards on this cause it's not really that namey, i just make essay plans. But i just can't be bothered :frown: I'll probably have a last minute panic and revise like mad.
What'd you get in education/research if you've done it by the way?
Reply 16
I am doing this exam too! Finding it really hard to remember all the studies for each topic and revised! Our teacher has given us so many to learn...

I really want an A as well, so worried! How is everyone else revising? :biggrin:
Reply 17
I hate exam period.

I can't revise for this exam at the moment because I have Spanish on Monday so I'm entirely focusing on that.

I have a feeling I am not going to do very well in either Spanish or my retake of Sociology. I'll only have 2 whole days to devote to Sociology revision.

I hate exam period.

Did I mention I hate exam period?
Reply 18
I did flash cards for the education/research methods, only a few days before and kept looking over them. We seem to finish a month/two early with my teacher so then we just practice questions until the exam. I got a mid B. I want an A at As, but i don't think that's likely at all. I need 51 or 52/60 in this paper :/ I can't really make flash cards on this cause it's not really that namey, i just make essay plans. But i just can't be bothered :frown: I'll probably have a last minute panic and revise like mad.
What'd you get in education/research if you've done it by the way?

I haven't done Families & Households or Education/Research Methods. This will be my first time as my silly college didn't allow any AS exams in January. I have done mock exams for each paper though. I got a B for Families and an A for Education. How did you do on the Education paper?
Reply 19
Original post by akemikat
I hate exam period.

I can't revise for this exam at the moment because I have Spanish on Monday so I'm entirely focusing on that.

I have a feeling I am not going to do very well in either Spanish or my retake of Sociology. I'll only have 2 whole days to devote to Sociology revision.

I hate exam period.

Did I mention I hate exam period?

I hate exam period too. My exams are all over the place.
I have a Biology exam on Monday, then a Chemistry exam on Tuesday. On the day of the Sociology exam, I have a Physics paper straight after due to silly clashes between the boards.-.-

Quick Reply

Latest