The Student Room Group

Lost

To cut the story short, I have no idea what I want to study at university. I love photography, and have also considered game design. I was interested in graphic design, however the local universities don't offer such a course and I can't afford to move. There is a university which offers a BFA in Fine Art, however, having never studied art before, I am unsure what to expect. The lack of job prospects is something that my friends are also nagging me to consider if I got an art or design based degree. Would I be taking a bigger risk to study Fine Art, rather than say a more traditional subject such as Law or (insert subject here)?
Reply 1
Are you entitled to a maintenance loan/grant? If so, then I don't see why going to any university would be a major problem.

Study whatever subject will lead you in the career you want to have, no point study a subject you don't enjoy or going into a career you don't enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by James82
Are you entitled to a maintenance loan/grant? If so, then I don't see why going to any university would be a major problem.

Study whatever subject will lead you in the career you want to have, no point study a subject you don't enjoy or going into a career you don't enjoy.

That is one of the main problems for me... I don't know what type of career I would enjoy doing. I enjoy photography and could see myself going in that direction, but I am constantly being warned that it is a dying industry.

I am interested in design, especially with regard to video games, but many people say that getting a degree in such a subject is useless as it can be self-taught and the job prospects are low. It also doesn't help that I am bad at, and generally dislike, mathematics, as that limits my possibilities in terms of subject choices.
Reply 3
Original post by akaSovereign
That is one of the main problems for me... I don't know what type of career I would enjoy doing. I enjoy photography and could see myself going in that direction, but I am constantly being warned that it is a dying industry.

I am interested in design, especially with regard to video games, but many people say that getting a degree in such a subject is useless as it can be self-taught and the job prospects are low. It also doesn't help that I am bad at, and generally dislike, mathematics, as that limits my possibilities in terms of subject choices.

If maths isn't your strong point then I would forget game design, as it involves quite a lot of maths.

Photography is evolving, but it's certainly not dying, however it is much more competitive than it used to be, basically because of the huge increase in the number of people who study it.
Reply 4
Original post by James82
If maths isn't your strong point then I would forget game design, as it involves quite a lot of maths.

Photography is evolving, but it's certainly not dying, however it is much more competitive than it used to be, basically because of the huge increase in the number of people who study it.

The degree I was looking at is a BFA in Fine Art, where I would could choose to study set topics, such as Photography, Drawing, Graphics, Painting, Installation, etc. If I study this, I won't have to pay tuition fees, and will be able to gain money each month from the government (Netherlands), however there are no sole photography institutions that teach in English. Do you think that I should study Fine Art, or look at a purely photographic degree in the UK?

Also, do you know what job prospects a BFA in Fine Art might provide?
Reply 5
Original post by akaSovereign
The degree I was looking at is a BFA in Fine Art, where I would could choose to study set topics, such as Photography, Drawing, Graphics, Painting, Installation, etc. If I study this, I won't have to pay tuition fees, and will be able to gain money each month from the government (Netherlands), however there are no sole photography institutions that teach in English. Do you think that I should study Fine Art, or look at a purely photographic degree in the UK?

Also, do you know what job prospects a BFA in Fine Art might provide?

I'm guessing the ultimate goal with both photography and fine art is to become a commissioned artist/photographer, but it's obviously not going to happen for many of those who get degrees, or certainly not to the degree that it would sustain a good lifestyle. With fine art the fall back career would be for a career in a gallery or museum. With photography it's going to be more independent in terms of the fallbacks being wedding photography and freelance work. Both could always lead to careers in teaching.

There will be other useful skills you learn along the way in both degrees, like printmaking and bookmaking, but they are quite niche areas in terms of career opportunities these days.

I can't speak of job opportunities in the Netherlands, but I suspect it would be a fairly similar choice of careers.

Quick Reply

Latest