Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know we have threads about who are veges etc but i just wanted to know why some people are veges or vegans. Also what do vegans actually eat.....

ReputationRep:
    i'm none of the above but it could be ethical reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Some don't like the way animals are treated, some don't like the taste of meat or it makes them ill, some don't like the idea of eating meat, and some do it because they think it will prolong their life. I think?!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know like killing animals is bad etc etc i just wanted to know what gave them the incentive to actually cut this out of their diet forever!

ReputationRep:
    Why become vegetarian?

* Ethical reasons - vegetarianism is a rejection of completely unnecessary violence. Animals are not slaughtered humanely (generally), and its hypocricital to eat meat if you wouldn't slaughter the animal yourself.
    * Health reasons - you can get all your nutrients from a veggie diet, with less saturated fat etc
    * Environmental reasons - rainforests are cut down for cattle ranching, methane produced by farmed cows is a bigger greenhouse gas than CO2
    * Economical reasons - it takes much less of the earths resources and land to produce 1kg of grain as compared to 1kg of meat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innitman_uk)
    Why become vegetarian?

* Environmental reasons - rainforests are cut down for cattle ranching, methane produced by farmed cows is a bigger greenhouse gas than CO2
    * Economical reasons - it takes much less of the earths resources and land to produce 1kg of grain as compared to 1kg of meat
    A few people, OK, quite a few people, becoming vegetarians is not going to stop the meat industry destroying rainforests and using up resources. If it is this that makes them become vegetarians, they should stop using cars, recyling their rubbish etc. I know no vegetarians that do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    A few people, OK, quite a few people, becoming vegetarians is not going to stop the meat industry destroying rainforests and using up resources. If it is this that makes them become vegetarians, they should stop using cars, recyling their rubbish etc. I know no vegetarians that do this.
    Yeah, they should. Ideally, everyone would be perfect. However, just because some vegetarians aren't doing all the environmental stuff does not mean that vegetarianism itself does not improve the environment - it is just what some of the practicers of vegetarianism do. Recyling, not using cars etc is a separate issue from vegetarianism.

ReputationRep:
    Hey hey WTF is wrong with being a vegan?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps we should kill all carniverous animals? They're so cruel eating other animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I love it when people say things like "If you saw how they are killed, you'd be put off". Nonsense. I've farmed pigs and worked in a slaughter house, and I'm not put off at all.
    That must make you a double hard b*****d! lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHANDY)
    Hey hey WTF is wrong with being a vegan?
    Nothing is wrong with Veganism.

ReputationRep:
    because you hate vegetables

ReputationRep:
    Nothing is wrong with Veganism.
    Well then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Perhaps we should kill all carniverous animals? They're so cruel eating other animals.
    Animals have much less control and (I think) hardly any freewill.
    We are either equal to animals or superior.
    If equal, then what gives us the right to farm and eat them?
    And if superior, you can't justify our behaviour by comparing us to them.

ReputationRep:
    Animals have much less control and (I think) hardly any freewill.
    Your point being...?

Animals eat other animals to stay alive, it is not matter of free will and/or control. Herbivore animals don't eat other animals because they have adapted that way to survive, and it is the same with carnivorous animals. Humans, whether they are superior to other animals or not, are omnivorous. If we were in the wild we would have to eat other animals to get all the things we need, it is only because of the wide variety of food available to us today that allows people to be vegetarians and not die. Therefore nobody can say whether it is right or wrong to kill animals for food, because we have so much choice these days that it is just a matter of choice whether we eat other animals or not.
    And the way we kill animals for food is certainly no worse than how animals get killed in the wild.

ReputationRep:
    1-0 to Cate! \o/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    1-0 to Cate! \o/

lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nafisa)
    I know we have threads about who are veges etc but i just wanted to know why some people are veges or vegans. Also what do vegans actually eat.....
    things that dotn have meat!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheetah)
    things that dotn have meat!!!
    Er, that would be a vegetarian...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Er, that would be a vegetarian...
    obviously!!! what else could i have been talking about???

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.