This discussion is closed.
Cate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Trousers)
Yes, actually. I don't mean we should have them wearing clothes and presenting TV shows, but we should at least afford animals the right to live and die with dignity and to have a basic standard of living which we humans can easily provide. I'm not trying to start another fight - I'm just answering your question.
The way you're going on sounds like you're trying to get people to stop eating altogether
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
It totally wasn't. If you are going to stop people eating meat, what are you going to do with the left-over animals?
Utter fallacy. Firstly, there would be no "left-over" animals, unless you invent a straw man that the whole world is going to cease meat eating overnight. Animals are bred for food. If there is no demand, they won't be bred therefore they won't exist. Any that aren't bred for food are nothing to do with humans.

Secondly, even if this hypothetical non-situation came about, why should it bother you? If you're happy for animals to be killed for meat (ie, non moral, luxury reasons), then how on earth can you have a problem with the killing of a few remaining animals in the name of what is ultimately going to be a very moral cause indeed?

(Original post by Cate)
There are no rational arguments for not eating meat.
There are no rational arguments for eating meat.
These are two very silly statements indeed.
Trousers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
The way you're going on sounds like you're trying to get people to stop eating altogether
Hehe. No, sorry if I sound a bit fervent about the whole thing. Imagine what I'd be like if I was a vegan!!

(Original post by Piginapoke)
I agree we shouldn't knowingly cause pain and suffering to animals, I always treat animals well, I just like eating them
That's better! If you like eating them and you don't want to go veggie, fair enough: I haven't been a veggie all my life and I can understand that. I just object to people who insist that their decision to eat meat is somehow morally superior to my decision not to.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hehe. No, sorry if I sound a bit fervent about the whole thing. Imagine what I'd be like if I was a vegan!!

That's better! If you like eating them and you don't want to go veggie, fair enough: I haven't been a veggie all my life and I can understand that. I just object to people who insist that their decision to eat meat is somehow morally superior to my decision not to.
hehe! Wow! We have come to a peaceful conclusion!
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
Your point being...?

Animals eat other animals to stay alive, it is not matter of free will and/or control. Herbivore animals don't eat other animals because they have adapted that way to survive, and it is the same with carnivorous animals. Humans, whether they are superior to other animals or not, are omnivorous. If we were in the wild we would have to eat other animals to get all the things we need, it is only because of the wide variety of food available to us today that allows people to be vegetarians and not die. Therefore nobody can say whether it is right or wrong to kill animals for food, because we have so much choice these days that it is just a matter of choice whether we eat other animals or not.
And the way we kill animals for food is certainly no worse than how animals get killed in the wild.
We're no more omnivorous than a cow that's fed sheep remains. We can survive quite well, like all primates on a vegetarian diet. We can also, like all herbivores survive on a diet including animal biomass. It is indeed just a matter of choice that we eat animals - it is convenient as glycogen in muscle has a higher 'energy' density than starch in plant cells.
ddan
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cate)
hehe! Wow! We have come to a peaceful conclusion!
im not really vegetarin but i dont eat meat out or geletine because i am jewish and i keep kosher
r316
Report 16 years ago
Please note that vegetarianism (from a non-moral viewpoint) is good for people worldwide as less energy is wasted between trophic levels, and more people can be supported. Aside from religion, this is the main reason why much of the 3rd world is vegetarian.
Ramaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
As well as not eating dairy products, some vegans choose not to eat honey or yeast.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by r316)
Please note that vegetarianism (from a non-moral viewpoint) is good for people worldwide as less energy is wasted between trophic levels, and more people can be supported. Aside from religion, this is the main reason why much of the 3rd world is vegetarian.
Yes indeed - in fact veganism and fruitarianism (that second one is what i do) are far more spiritual than plain vegetarianism - vegetarianism is a healthier way of life - not just for hippies and hippoes
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ramaya)
As well as not eating dairy products, some vegans choose not to eat honey or yeast.
indeed some vegans go still further and become fruitarians (like me!) - no cooked food - just fruit vegetables and nuts
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morello)
indeed some vegans go still further and become fruitarians (like me!) - no cooked food - just fruit vegetables and nuts
Cool, i wish i could be a fruitarian but i think i could not manage that! Too much junk in the vending machines at school.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cool, i wish i could be a fruitarian but i think i could not manage that! Too much junk in the vending machines at school.
cool - how long u been a vegetarian/or perhaps a vegan?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
Your choice but you're missing out on some tasty nosh
u a veggie or an omni?
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
cool - how long u been a vegetarian/or perhaps a vegan?
I've been a vegetarian for 7 1/2 years and I was a vegan for over half a year but i couldn't continue I don't drink milk at all though. I'm quite lactose intolerant.
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I've been a vegetarian for 7 1/2 years and I was a vegan for over half a year but i couldn't continue I don't drink milk at all though. I'm quite lactose intolerant.
lol - i see - i have been a vegetarian for about 7 years and 8 months vegan and two months fruitarian thus far
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
I'll eat anything that tastes nice.
hmm... not good for you necessarily
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol - i see - i have been a vegetarian for about 7 years and 8 months vegan and two months fruitarian thus far
Thats cool do u eat all fruit and veg or just organic?
Kurdt Morello
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thats cool do u eat all fruit and veg or just organic?
just fruit and veg and nuts - that is all - in fact just oranges apples and lemons with the fruit - and salad with the veg side
Ramaya
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just fruit and veg and nuts - that is all - in fact just oranges apples and lemons with the fruit - and salad with the veg side
Hey that makes going to the supermarket easy, just one section!
riffraff
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes indeed - in fact veganism and fruitarianism (that second one is what i do) are far more spiritual than plain vegetarianism - vegetarianism is a healthier way of life - not just for hippies and hippoes
hey! whats wrong withg being a hippy?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (196)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
49.57%
I still don't know (100)
17.04%

Watched Threads