Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is the Government trying to make everyone the same? Eg. I think too many people are being encouraged to go to uni and degrees are becomming more and more de-valued. Anyone can get one whether you've done A levels or not. All you have to do is an access course and you're in. I really don't think it suits everyone to go to uni. (Just an example, there are so many other situations where this applies). Don't know why everybody is encouraged to work towards the same goals. And the whole equality thing... I disagree totally with any kind of discrimination but you can't just say everybody's the same - THEY'RE NOT!!!!! What do you think????

ReputationRep:
    When we run out of tradesmen who will be sent up to drill the big whole in the asteroid that is coming for us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Is the Government trying to make everyone the same? Eg. I think too many people are being encouraged to go to uni and degrees are becomming more and more de-valued. Anyone can get one whether you've done A levels or not. All you have to do is an access course and you're in. I really don't think it suits everyone to go to uni. (Just an example, there are so many other situations where this applies). Don't know why everybody is encouraged to work towards the same goals. And the whole equality thing... I disagree totally with any kind of discrimination but you can't just say everybody's the same - THEY'RE NOT!!!!! What do you think????
    I agree entirely! It is stupid to make 50% of the population go to uni, especially as many of them are, well, thick, so it's just going to lower the standard for the rest of us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    When we run out of tradesmen who will be sent up to drill the big whole in the asteroid that is coming for us?
    Exactly!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I wonder what the purpose of sending 50% of the population to uni is. Probably to make some nice looking statistics.

How about this: the average uni student apparently has an IQ of 120 currently. If 50% were to go to uni, surely this average would be lower. The moral of the story is that not everyone is cut out to go to uni, they just aren't clever enough.

Unless the standards are going to be lowered...
    I think the standards are being lowered.

ReputationRep:
    Auldous Huxley had it right in Brave New World imo

We should groom everyone from the embryo for their chosen job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Auldous Huxley had it right in Brave New World imo

We should groom everyone from the embryo for their chosen job!
    Hmmm, maybe a bit extreme. But it's definitely true that different people are suited to different things!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what the purpose of sending 50% of the population to uni is. Probably to make some nice looking statistics.

How about this: the average uni student apparently has an IQ of 120 currently. If 50% were to go to uni, surely this average would be lower. The moral of the story is that not everyone is cut out to go to uni, they just aren't clever enough.

Unless the standards are going to be lowered...
    Reasoning behind increasing the proportion of people going to university is to increase the value of the workforce. This reduces the need to import graduate workers from overseas in order to remain competitive in the world economy. It's all relative though - as the aim is to have a more valuable workforce than other countries who are simultaneously trying to do the same thing. The result is the value of a degree decreases, but the differences in value between different degrees is preserved overall - except in the oversubscribed courses.

It's all about money money and money - making 1 country richer than another.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually 'done the math' and figured out what'll happen to the jobs market? Would be rather handy if the 50% uni lot slotted into graduate jobs and the other 50% could be trained for the 'other' jobs, but I bet that's not the case.

I reckon you should have 3 choices after school. First uni. If you don't want to do that, learn a trade. If you don't want to do that, its the armed forces for you my lad. Or something.
    The tendency as individual degrees become less valuable will be to distinguish one's self. A simple academic way to do this is to do another degree. This essentially means people will start being separated more on how long they spent in uni than what they actually did.

ReputationRep:
    FFS

Nobody has ever said 50% population of the country going to uni. Ther government has said 50% of under 30 year olds. This includes foundation degrees and HNCs/HNDs, access courses etc.

There is not going to be in new places for honours degrees for the next ten years so standards will not be lowered. I hate the f*cking media they just twist everything and people are daft enough to belief them.

ReputationRep:
    People staying on at uni, ending up with more debt than you can shake a stick at.
    yup... acts as a disadvantage to those from poorer backgrounds, further fascilitating differentiation between the population. Of course the longer they stay the more 'exceptional' they become and the more they can potentially earn as long as there is some demand for their individual and combined qualifications. Medicine and Law springs to mind :-s

ReputationRep:
    loverboy tony is on radio 5 now amazingtrade ;p pmq's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    loverboy tony is on radio 5 now amazingtrade ;p pmq's
    lol!

ReputationRep:
    The uni thing was only an example!! I just think we should stop pretending that everyone is the same in every way. What about sex? Men and women are not the same!!! Admittedly this is a generalisation but men are more suited to certain things and so are women!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    The uni thing was only an example!! I just think we should stop pretending that everyone is the same in every way. What about sex? Men and women are not the same!!! Admittedly this is a generalisation but men are more suited to certain things and so are women!!
    Yup - men are more suited for impregnating women than women. Women are more suited for having children than men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Yeah, women can multitask better than men *does five things at once*

ReputationRep:
    50% of under 30s means that eventually 50% of the total population will go to uni.
    What do you count as uni? North Trafford College that does HNDs as well as their GNVQ Foundation courses? These people will be included in this target and its unlikely these people will actually go onto university as many people stop at HNC/HND level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    Yup - men are more suited for impregnating women than women. Women are more suited for having children than men.
    Actually meant it to be on a braoder scale than just mating!! Men and women have different brains too and have evolved to show preferences for very different things...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.