The Student Room Group

need advice from english students...

i want to be a writer/journalist and i want to study english with creative writing or just english lit on it's own... but i'm not sure where to study as my grades aren't that good :/ any advice?
Reply 1
A lot of straight English Literature degrees have creative writing modules within them and so you can still end up studying creative writing. I would suggest Eng Lit over the combined with creative writing alternative...
Reply 2
Original post by fanofthewanted
i want to be a writer/journalist and i want to study english with creative writing or just english lit on it's own... but i'm not sure where to study as my grades aren't that good :/ any advice?

Sorry, I can't resist :biggrin:

Honestly, I'd do English Literature. I don't understand the point of Creative Writing - surely the tools of writing can be picked up through extensive reading?
Reply 3
i guess, im just undecided, thankyou!
Reply 4
Original post by fanofthewanted
i guess, im just undecided, thankyou!

Bit of self promoting here but Hertfordshire does a very flexible humanities programme. You could study English Literature, Creative writing and Journalism for your degree or first year and then switch to English literature on its own, carry it all on or drop either CW or Journalism in the second year. Then you could get a taster for Journalism too and would help with that aspect. The entry requirements aren't crippling either.

I know that Brunel runs a Journalism course that's accredited with the NCTJ (National Council for the Training of Journalists).

Wherever you go get involved with local newspapers, university magazines or newspaper to get some experience too. :smile:
Reply 5
haha, nothing wrong with self promoting :wink: i just need somewhere with lower grades, considering i messed up my english lit as exam today,thankyou for all the help :smile:
What are your grades?

Tbh, if I wanted to become a better writer, I'd study something like English Literature and Philosophy or History, to expand my ideas as well as my writing ability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ra Ra
Sorry, I can't resist :biggrin:

Honestly, I'd do English Literature. I don't understand the point of Creative Writing - surely the tools of writing can be picked up through extensive reading?

Agreed. 9K a year just isn't worth it.

Quick Reply