The Student Room Group

Access course living funds??

Hello, I'm 34 years old single mother of two a 12 year old and 5 year old, I've been a carer so received carers allowence and income support, the situation is changing in so much as the person I care for is relocating which means I'm freed up to complete my education that was never completed ..I left school at 15.
i am considering an access course at my local college in hackney with a view to progress onto a degree..but after searching through every website possible I cannot get answers about if the government will provide finanical support for living exspenses ie the maintenance loans ect ect....as my youngest is 5 and the new laws state I come off income support I'm worried I won't get any help withe money if I do an access course, I know I would with a degree but I have to build up to this with a access course..lany advice or views welcome. Kindly. Oliviawillow
Reply 1
if the course is part-time, then you can get job seekers allowance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm in a similar situation and i have also been struggling to find info! i did read something about an Adult Learning Grant that you apply for through the college you attend, it is supposed to cover travel costs and child care costs, heres the link to the info: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_068343

it says applications have now closed but i think that might have been from the last academic year?!
Reply 3

It's very tricky trying to find a sure answer...thanks for the replys.....it seems so strange not to be able as a parent to get funding for living costs to do a full time course....I guess I may have to rethink the whole full tie part time issue ...
Reply 4
As a lone parent, you may be entitled to housing benefit if you're a full time student. You'll also receive a discount on council tax for being a full time student.
Reply 5
Thanks for letting me know about housing benefit...I've just read the access course I'm looking into is 16 hours a week classed as full time..by hackney college standards a full time course is 16 hours a week,this seems like quite a lot less hours than I expected for a full time...also came across a site suggesting that if you enrol on a full time course (whilst claiming income support) before they transfer you over to jsa you can remain on income support till the course finishes?!..here I've pasted the ref.

I want to study/train, will this affect my ability to claim Job Seeker’s Allowance?
Once you are claiming JSA you are not able to enrol on a full-time course, although you might be able to claim JSA during the summer holidays between terms if you are able to look for work.
If you enrol on a full-time course before you are transferred to JSA, then you will be able to continue claiming Income Support until the course finishes.
You may be able to claim JSA if you are a part-time student. If you are studying outside the times you stated as being available to work, and you think you can reasonably combine work and study, you may be able to claim. Also, if you explain to your adviser that you will change your hours of study, or give up your course if work becomes available, you may be able to claim.

http://www.onespace.org.uk/benefits/all-you-need-know-about-job-seekers-allowance-part-4
Reply 6
Be great if some one could take a look at my last post! Thanks .
The government does not officially give any sort of help with living costs whilst studying for an Access to HE qualification.

JSA whilst on Access is a bit of a tricky area as it sort of depends on the area you live in and who handles your claim. Part-time study seems less of a problem, generally, than full-time. Access is pretty intense, and 16 contact hours means at least the same again in private study - hence, full-time.

I would say, the way employment is going in the UK, you will need a degree to be a cleaner before long. Therefore, my advice to those thinking about Access is do what you have to do in order to survive.
I'm not sure if this will help you right now, but we were advised at our Access open evening that from September 2013 access students will be eligible for student loans in the same way university students are now. Hopefully this would help people in your situation.
Reply 9
Thank you for your replys...is that really the case ? In 2013 access course will be supported by government ie...loans to live off like a degree?!?
Reply 10
Original post by Oliviawillow
Thanks for letting me know about housing benefit...I've just read the access course I'm looking into is 16 hours a week classed as full time..by hackney college standards a full time course is 16 hours a week,this seems like quite a lot less hours than I expected for a full time...also came across a site suggesting that if you enrol on a full time course (whilst claiming income support) before they transfer you over to jsa you can remain on income support till the course finishes?!..here I've pasted the ref.

I want to study/train, will this affect my ability to claim Job Seeker’s Allowance?
Once you are claiming JSA you are not able to enrol on a full-time course, although you might be able to claim JSA during the summer holidays between terms if you are able to look for work.
If you enrol on a full-time course before you are transferred to JSA, then you will be able to continue claiming Income Support until the course finishes.
You may be able to claim JSA if you are a part-time student. If you are studying outside the times you stated as being available to work, and you think you can reasonably combine work and study, you may be able to claim. Also, if you explain to your adviser that you will change your hours of study, or give up your course if work becomes available, you may be able to claim.

http://www.onespace.org.uk/benefits/all-you-need-know-about-job-seekers-allowance-part-4

Does anyone still know about this??
I would suggest you speak to the college/uni you want to study at. I will be going to Derby uni for access and they made it very clear that students could still claim JSA and attend the course.

Although the study requirement in total was full time, direct teaching hours were part time. Previous students had done this and the Uni had provided a letter for the benefits agency.

As I say, just check what can you loose? the only proviso was that they still had to be seeking work and willing to leave the course if they got a job

goodluck
What do you want to study? Many uni courses have a foundation year option for those without the necessary A levels and this foundation year is covered by the student loan system.
Another alternative, which again depends on what you want to study, is do a distance learning course.
And finally, try find a college that does evening access course.

Latest

Trending

Trending