Memphis93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys! I'm planning to wake up at 4 am every day now (starting tomorrow) to study for my GCSES as I have about 28 exams coming up within the next couple of weeks. Do you think it's sensible? I've just realised I'm wasting my time when I wake up at 12pm, feeling groggy and more keen on doing something else. I just feel that waking up early in the morning will give me extra time to study. Has anyone done that kind of thing before?
zaliack
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you want to fall back asleep at 6 until 12, then sure, it's a great idea.
Rachel_beans
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Probably too early. Just make sure you get a good amount of sleep (they say 8 hours, but we all differ) and get into a good routine. If you really want to get up at 4am then go for it but you'd have to go to sleep at about 8pm I wouldn't recommend it though (wouldn't really be good for when you want to go and see friends etc and you might be tired in afternoon exams)...
thegreenchildren
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think thats taking it a bit far and you probably won't be able to maintain waking up so early for very long. You should get enough sleep (at least 8 hours) so that you feel refreshed in the morning (set your alarm for a sensible time) and that way you'll be able to study more effectively during the day. Maybe you could make a list of what you need to do the evening before and organise your day around that. (And remember to take regular breaks!)
BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Memphis93)
Hi guys! I'm planning to wake up at 4 am every day now (starting tomorrow) to study for my GCSES as I have about 28 exams coming up within the next couple of weeks. Do you think it's sensible? I've just realised I'm wasting my time when I wake up at 12pm, feeling groggy and more keen on doing something else. I just feel that waking up early in the morning will give me extra time to study. Has anyone done that kind of thing before?
Gahhh. Waking up at 5:00 am does NOT seem like worth the hassle for me. Then again, I'm not much of a morning person either. As a night owl, I usually revise from around 6 pm onwards, ending sometimes at 2 or 3 am. Then the next day, waking up at 12:00 is no problem for me as long as I know I'll work my socks off in the evening.

It's completely up to you, entirely depending on how your personal body clock works. So why not try it out? If it works, great. If it doesn't, then you should try waking up a bit later. For me, anytime the sun's up is a bad time to study, but, as I said before people are different.

Tips for waking up early: (which seldom work on me, but hey)

1. Open the curtains. The natural sunlight will work better at waking you up than you might think.
2. Drink loads and loads (not too much though) of water before you go to sleep, so when you wake up you'll need to go to the loo, which will at least keep you up.
3. I know it sounds obvious but get enough sleep. Don't expect to wake up at 5 and go to sleep at 12.

That's all I got for ya. Good luck!
Cassius1993
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I really don't want to appear harsh or patronising, but that is a ridiculous idea and you really shouldn't go through with it. Take it from someone who has completed both GCSE and AS: there is essentially a ceiling that the effectiveness of your revision can reach. Beginning at 4AM will not only PREVENT you from reaching this level but will also waste time that could be spent sleeping or even just having fun/relaxing. Just stick to a sensible revision schedule, I found that working from 4:30 to 9:30 after school (with breaks for tea, a drink, etc) worked really well for me, and as you can see is far from excessive.

The most important thing is to find a compromise between work and fun, too much or too little work is demotivating. Make sure you're still having an hour or two of what you would consider "fun" a day, it really helps motivation
Wawasan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's quite exotic by any stretch of the imagination. Its probably a lot better for you to relax slightly and do revision where you feel is most convenient, no need to stretch yourself getting up so early in the morning
CharlieBoardman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Way too early! You will not get sufficient sleep for your brain to work at its full potential, therefore actually reducing the effectiveness of your revision it you want to get up early, get up at 7, around the time you would on a school day this is the best idea
Mechie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You don't need to totally change your lifestyle to do well in exams. Just live normally except study more, there's no need to do anything drastically different.
TheWorldEndsWithMe
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends what time you usually wake up at/go to bed at. For someone who wakes up at 5.30 to get to school/whatever on a daily basis it mightn't be a bad idea, because you're USED to getting up around that time. If you're the sort of person who can roll out of bed at 8 and be in for 9 then it won't work as well because you aren't used to it.

It'll also depend on how much sleep you need and what time you'd be going to bed at.
StartSomething
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is crazy!! Just wake up at 7/8/9 instead of 12.
Vijay2010
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If that's the way your body works, why not?

That's what I do; revise during the night and sleep during the day just because I'm more alert that way and there are less distractions at night
onlyyouknowbest
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
28 exams? o.O I only had 11 for my GSCE'S! 4am is a bit HmM...just wake up at a normal time, such as 7/8 normal time for schooll....
dgdlalo16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i dont think that is a good idea because if you think about it you need to have as much sleep as possible otherwise you wont be able to concentrate
turkishdisco
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even the Prime Minister only gets up at 5...
Memphis93
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thank you for so many responses, but why are most people thinking I'm a girl? I'm a BOY who's aiming for all A's and A*'s and who has had to sacrifice a lot of things for the revision's sake. It doesn't obviously mean it made me happy, because it didn't, but what can you do if you wanna live a successful, happy life? Good grades are your main priority. Also waking up at 4am really worked out for me and I've done more than I've planned to do in a first place, which is great. 6 hour sleep turned out to be sufficient enough to get me through the day I'd definitely recommend it.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remember when I said that to myself :lol:

"Wake up a 5 tomorrow!" *sets alarm clock*
*alarm clock goes off*
*frantic hand waving to turn the damn thing off*
"Oh for goodness sake! It's 11 already "

Rinse and repeat until you realise it's stupid.

Get a good nights sleep and wake up at 8 or something. It'll be much better.
PoojaKapoor19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well honestly this has worked for my sister... Every morning she's up at 4am. Has a good amount of snacking whilst studying (breakfast in bed) in addition, they say it's the most peaceful time and that's when your mind is completely fresh. Please try and make sure your room is not in a mess the previous night as the mess can make u get lazier. Also, try not studying in bed but on a table or the dining hall or something like that! Works perfectly well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads