The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Stranmillis reviews? :)

Hello :smile:

I think I'm going to Stranmillis in sept to do primary teaching, its my first choice anyway! :P just wanna know what its like..

Thinking of applying to the halls there, can anyone tell me what they're like etc, and whether Stranmillis is a good uni? :smile:

Any input would be appreciated :biggrin:! x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LauraTxo

I think I'm going to Stranmillis in sept to do primary teaching, its my first choice anyway! :P just wanna know what its like..

Thinking of applying to the halls there, can anyone tell me what they're like etc, and whether Stranmillis is a good uni? :smile:

I'm currently a first year at Queen's studying Biochem so I can't tell you about the course but I'm living in the Stranmillis halls (cos I applied too late for Elms) so I'll try my best to help. The halls were built in 1968 (I think) so they're not as new as Elms, but the rooms are bigger, our sheets are washed every friday (as long as you use their sheets - if you bring your own you have to wash them yourself), a cleaner comes to clean the kitchen/bathroom monday-friday and there is generally quite a good atmosphere regarding nights out etc.

I would definitely recommend going catered though - I was self-catered for the first semester and the kitchen had everything I needed but for £10 a week (additional cost for catering) you can't go wrong for two meals a day every day of the week! I've gone catered this semester and the food is good and varied (bacon, sausage, egg etc. every morning if you want...), and the portion sizes are really big.

But enough about food... There is security 24/7 as far as I know and, while they normally ask to see your keys/halls card upon entry, it is far easier to bring people back with you than Elms, where they always check for a key card past 9pm or something. There are phones in the kitchens of each flat with the number for security on a little sheet in case you feel unsafe.

Although Stranmillis is a predominately protestant establishment (as far as I know, i don't study there after all!) one of my flatmates is catholic and he gets on really well with everyone so that's not a problem (although to be fair I don't really think about it cos I've lived in England my entire life).

The staff in the halls office are really nice and helpful, and the security that I've spoken to are all really sound too. The only annoying thing is that you need to buy washing tokens to use the washing machines/driers (3 washers, 2 driers but they're hardly ever in use cos lots of people seem to go home at the weekend to do washing etc. - £1 washing, £1 drying) and the halls office is closed at the weekend so you have to last the weekend piling up tonnes of washing if you forget to buy tokens, but that's not really an issue.

Soz for kinda raping you with info but I got a bit into it haha.
(edited 11 years ago)
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by Guy3105
I'm currently a first year at Queen's studying Biochem so I can't tell you about the course but I'm living in the Stranmillis halls (cos I applied too late for Elms) so I'll try my best to help. The halls were built in 1968 (I think) so they're not as new as Elms, but the rooms are bigger, our sheets are washed every friday (as long as you use their sheets - if you bring your own you have to wash them yourself), a cleaner comes to clean the kitchen/bathroom monday-friday and there is generally quite a good atmosphere regarding nights out etc.

I would definitely recommend going catered though - I was self-catered for the first semester and the kitchen had everything I needed but for £10 a week (additional cost for catering) you can't go wrong for two meals a day every day of the week! I've gone catered this semester and the food is good and varied (bacon, sausage, egg etc. every morning if you want...), and the portion sizes are really big.

But enough about food... There is security 24/7 as far as I know and, while they normally ask to see your keys/halls card upon entry, it is far easier to bring people back with you than Elms, where they always check for a key card past 9pm or something. There are phones in the kitchens of each flat with the number for security on a little sheet in case you feel unsafe.

Although Stranmillis is a predominately protestant establishment (as far as I know, i don't study there after all!) one of my flatmates is catholic and he gets on really well with everyone so that's not a problem (although to be fair I don't really think about it cos I've lived in England my entire life).

The staff in the halls office are really nice and helpful, and the security that I've spoken to are all really sound too. The only annoying thing is that you need to buy washing tokens to use the washing machines/driers (3 washers, 2 driers but they're hardly ever in use cos lots of people seem to go home at the weekend to do washing etc. - £1 washing, £1 drying) and the halls office is closed at the weekend so you have to last the weekend piling up tonnes of washing if you forget to buy tokens, but that's not really an issue.

Soz for kinda raping you with info but I got a bit into it haha.

Do you know what's hilarious, I know who you are haha
Original post by LauraTxo

To poster above me covered it really well, also, unlike elms parties, security is quite unrestricted, so you don't need to fret about getting your mates in trouble.
Reply 4
Original post by That Bearded Man
To poster above me covered it really well, also, unlike elms parties, security is quite unrestricted, so you don't need to fret about getting your mates in trouble.

Hahaha gimme a clue!
Original post by Guy3105
Hahaha gimme a clue!

You'll see me in some of your lectures - well, the ones you ACTUALLY attend
Reply 6
Also hoping to stay at Stranmillis - studying economics - could someone tell me if it's going to be full of teachers?
Reply 7
Original post by That Bearded Man
You'll see me in some of your lectures - well, the ones you ACTUALLY attend

Is this Eoin? You cheeky bastard, did a little stalking and saw your chat about applying for medicine - well done for getting in by the way (assuming this is Eoin..?)! And leave it yeah bruv it's not my fault that chem always have 9am lectures after my nights out, i'm well intelligentual innit
Reply 8
Original post by Planar
Also hoping to stay at Stranmillis - studying economics - could someone tell me if it's going to be full of teachers?

Think it depends from flat to flat but it seems that the vast majority of my mates who live here are doing courses elsewhere (mostly Queen's, but a few at Ulster and Met I think).
Reply 9
Im hoping to go to stran to do early childhood studies this year xD

From my friends who go there, they couldn't praise it more. They say the social life is great, everyones friendly and up for a laugh, and that all year they have fun and seem pretty relaxed!

The open day is tomorrow!

You should go yourself and check it out:biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by mariaxq94
Im hoping to go to stran to do early childhood studies this year xD

From my friends who go there, they couldn't praise it more. They say the social life is great, everyones friendly and up for a laugh, and that all year they have fun and seem pretty relaxed!

The open day is tomorrow!

You should go yourself and check it out:biggrin:

The Stranmillis open day? Do I have to book it or anything?
Original post by Guy3105
Is this Eoin? You cheeky bastard, did a little stalking and saw your chat about applying for medicine - well done for getting in by the way (assuming this is Eoin..?)! And leave it yeah bruv it's not my fault that chem always have 9am lectures after my nights out, i'm well intelligentual innit

Damn....tried to be a bit more subtle, but yea cheers man. Stran nights out tend to be unreal from the ones I've been to. Chem lectures have been brutal, at least I've a few elms ones to walk up with. Probably wrong of me to be shouting at you considering I'm doing it too, but....DON'T LEAVE US!!!!
Reply 12
sorry i didnt see your post last night! Nah you didnt have to book it! Its still on like if you wanted to go down. Everyone seemed really friendly, im sure someone would be about to give you a tour!
As a fourth year considering a masters at stran, I'll probably give you a more favourable review than the majority. Mostly it seems that while in stran it seems somewhat enjoyable but once you get out, you realise how much you disliked it.

Positives
* everyone knows everyone (a simple trip to the library turns into a social extravaganza with you stooping at every table!)
* people help and offer advice and photocopying cards when yours runs out
* lecturers for the most part are supportive and approachable.
* opportunities such as spending semesters abroad.
* reputable: for primary schools prefer BEd at stran over pgce.

Negative
* The building is ancient and the library is outdated and somewhat lacking - trek to mcclay or school of education for books instead.
* they always give exam results out a fortnight late.
* If you like independence Stran is not your cup of tea; it couldn't be more like school if it tried - signing in for all classes!
Reply 14
right this is guna sound so stupid & it should be the least of my worries lolol but anyways here goes..

I'm thinking about getting accommodation on Rugby Avenue, but it seems that no public transport runs nearby in order for me to get to Stran (if I go).. Is Stranmillis a long walk from Queens? Or if anyone has any information on the wonderful workings of public transport/bus routes in Belfast, can you please let me know? :biggrin:
It's definitely walkable, I'd say from the street to Stran it's about 1.5 miles, but if you can't be assed walking there is a bus that passes http://www.translink.co.uk/Timetables/Metro-Timetables/Metro-8-Timetables/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
haha legend, thanks! can't you tell i'm going into first year, i'm like a rabbit in headlights lol

would the bus actually pass Rugby Avenue dya think, or would I have to walk from Elmwood Avenue/Queens when going home etc? you can probably also tell i'm one lazy bitch! :biggrin:
The bus passes at the front of Queens Main building so you'll need to walk to there, which to be honest by the time you walk to Queens, you'll you'd be just as well walking on to Stranmillis! although if walking directly to Stranmillis it would probably be quicker cutting through botanic.
Reply 18
ah grand, thanks! never thought i'd be scared of the little things like walking/bus routes, but im crapping myself for the first day tbh! haha
Reply 19
hi everyone, i was just wondering before i accept my stranmillis offer, do they offer the chance to study the catholic certificate there, which enables me to study in a catholic school? im hearing stories that i have to travel to glasgow to get this certificate? :s reply asap! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest