The Student Room Group

Top 10 gadgets for university

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Shaz51
Most people are saying that one might be needing external hard-drive for storing movies and all that, I was just wondering if i-player is not allowed at uni? Does one really need a tv license to watch shows on i-player?

Thanks!

You don't need a TV license to watch iPlayer, 4OD etc. unless you want to stream the programs live, in which case you will need a TV license. So really might as well just watch programs an hour later and not pay the ~£140.:tongue:

I suppose it depends on the particular uni's network whether it actually lets you access iPlayer. I'd imagine most of them do.
Original post by zara55
LOL that I got negged six times for mentioning mine. Most people I know at Uni have one of ipad, iphone or MacBooks. Presumably they all deserve a jolly good negging.

Original post by TheCount.
Oh and Macbook - And if they aren't a top 'gadget', you may wish to tell every single international student I've ever met, because they all have them.

Overpriced and unnecessary fashion accessories. They're worth a few hundred quid less than they cost.
Original post by UnknownPerson
Yeh but thats like saying why buy an iPad when you can buy those unbranded £60 cheap chinese tablets which serve the same purpose ...

Are you insane? No, it isn't.
Original post by Irrelevance
Just to clarify, you're taking a portable computer to a building full of computers? :holmes:

But seriously, universities have an off campus application which means you have access to everything you need from your home computer which includes printers, files and e-mail so a desktop is fine.

Not all universities do, mine doesn't. The library I use also has only three computers in. Everyone carries laptops around, they're really useful.
Reply 104
A fridge for beer and other alcoholic beverages?
Original post by zara55
It isn't true that they are just shiny and nice. There are a lot of real advantages to Apple's products - they haven't stormed the world just on looks, regardless of what some purists say.

Arguable. There are the fashion conscious/ill-informed who get it because everyone else has it and it looks good. There are the informed who know it has good features and have the money to buy it. Then there are the fanboys/girls, need I say more about that one?

Then there are the sceptics/the poor/the bargain hunters who think while it's a nice gadget that it's a lot of money and doesn't necessarily give you the best bang for buck.
Original post by tinman1
I mentally punch any loser I see wearing them. £300 for headphones? **** off.

more importantly, £300 for a pair of **** headphones...

Also, I'm concerned about the lack of understanding of the word gadget.

a clue: A winter coat is not a gadget...
People saying alarm clock...don't mobile phones do the job pretty well?
flat,135x135,075,t.jpg
Original post by UnknownPerson
Its not a problem for people who can afford to spend £300 on headphones ... Jealous much?

If I could afford to spend £300 on a pair of headphones (and I would if I could), I would make sure they aren't a pile of **** and didn't make me look like a complete tosser...
Reply 110
laptop or netbook
wallet (to hold rail card / debit card /student id / loyalty card etc!)
phone / smartphone
a printer (can come in useful for printing off past papers / lecture slides, esp if you live far away from the library or uni!)
a music player (useful for long journeys / spare time)
a diary or wall planner (comes in handy planning your time / counting down the days until uni's out)
several extension cables (esp if you have lots of appliances)
a lamp
electrical appliances (kettle/ toaster etc)
pen & paper (plenty off it - this is the only thing you really need)
Original post by zara55
We weren't allowed mini fridges in our first year Hall.

Is "Apple-hate" a jealousy thing?

No, why do all people that partake in something that is hated/disliked by a significant number of people think it's jealousy? It's the fact that most apple products feature wise tend to have perfectly good competitors which are cheaper by quite a large margin but people flock to them like sheep. A large part of it is due to whether the people who own apple products can afford them easily.
Reply 112
Original post by MagicNMedicine
A tin opener. A lot of them are pretty flimsy so it's worth paying for the good sturdy ones that are £4.99 or £5.99 rather than just picking up rubbish 99p ones.

Also whilst in halls they will have electric cookers for safety, if you are at a uni up north especially most of the houses you would move into in 2nd/3rd year will have a gas cooker, and the ignition on them wears out and goes faulty so its well worth having one of the special long gas stove lighters, rather than trying to do it with a ciggy lighter and fearing having your fingers burnt every time as the gas whooshes up and lights.

In halls especially in the first few weeks don't underestimate the social value of having a games console especially if you are male, and have some games you can play together like sports games etc. A lot of gamers in college or sixth form, will think of it as an activity for loners, just playing multiplayers with randoms online but in uni halls lads play those games together all the time and its an easy way of meeting people, when we were in halls a lot of the social groups of lads found each other by going round to play games and then taking beers and going out together afterwards.

I think a female equivalent of that activity is cooking, especially baking stuff, for girls if you like cooking then bringing a good set of unusual useful utensils will be a good way of making friends because you can make yours the kitchen where it all happens, girls will go out to the shops together, get all the ingredients and then make huge meals and invite loads of people down to eat them. It's a good way of getting to meet boys as well as boys will always come down if food is being offered.

Ha, love it!
Original post by alexs2602
You do NOT need an iPad. Do you think people are made of money? I agree an ebook reader can be useful but a kindle will do that job fine and is a fraction of the price.

Or you can be more organised and not leave it to the last minute to print something off?

Don't necessarily need speakers either.

Hard drive depends on the person. I do need one because I have a ton of tv/movies but others don't. Not forgetting torrents aren't usually allowed in university owned accommodation which I presume is how you meant they'd get such a large amount of data.

Um, I think you missed the idea of the thread. A 'gadget' is something people generally have for novelty or because it is 'cool', the thread isn't about the top 10 electronic that are essential at university. Sorry but I'm just getting annoyed reading through all the answers of people who misunderstood the title and are negging everyone who mention all the apple products they have, and also those who are mentioning alarm clocks as 'gadgets'. It's a pretty basic item for anyone to be fair, although I tend to use my mobile phone.

Realistically, if you've had a part-time job throughout sixth form I think you would be able to save up plenty of money to buy yourself some fancy things before you start university. So far in Year 12, I've manage to buy myself an led tv, xbox, new guitar, lots of high quality art materials and an iPod touch to replace my old battered nano, amongst other things, out of the money I've earned for myself. So it's not impossible to get all the things they've mentioned even if you're not 'made of money'. I doubt most parents would expect you at that age to use the money you earn to support the family and it's not really difficult to find a part-time job.

I've really enjoyed this thread, checked out the livescribe pen (thanks to whoever mentioned it) and I think I'll consider getting one for convenience during lectures. Many of the other things I've already got anyway and iPads don't interest me at all, seems pointless if you've got an iPod and laptop already.
Reply 114
Original post by INTit
None of the other tablets are in the same league as the Ipad tbh.
With phones apple has some competition though.
Oh hi Asus Transformer Prime - nice to meet you :smile:
Reply 115
My [ideal] top ten gadgets are as follows:

1.Computer
2.Blackberry
3.Ipad
4.Student Oyster card
5.Debit cards
6.Comfortable backpack
7.Forms of ID
8.Earphones
9.Ipod for games
10.Books
Regarding the expense of Apple products, use eBay - I picked up a iPod touch for just shy of £50.........
Reply 117
Original post by gemnomnom

beer can mitt
little red book
posh accent
chat-up lines
money (lots)
box of flavoured condoms
stress release toy
sense of humour
fake fag
ability to say "do you do it doggy" in several languages
Original post by BHS12
You have a credit card as a student?! I sure hope you have enough money to pay that off as you go along..

You do realise that you don't have to be rich to own a credit card? A debit card is almost a necessity, but credit cards are useful to have
A bull**** detector, one that I can preferably put on silent as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending