Which emotion do you think is more powerful?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
rIcHrD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Love or Fear?
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rIcHrD)
Love or Fear?
good ol' lurve
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
(Original post by lumpycustard)
good ol' lurve

and why? :P
Cate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
and why? :P
Fear is usually artifical, which love, usually, isn't.
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Interesting..

1 way i see it is, fear is the reason we remain alive long enough to even be aware of or develop an appreciation of love. Fear of pain and of death.
Cate
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Interesting..

1 way i see it is, fear is the reason we remain alive long enough to even be aware of or develop an appreciation of love. Fear of pain and of death.
Yeah... but does that make fear more powerful? And how do you mean by powerful anyway?
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cate)
Yeah... but does that make fear more powerful? And how do you mean by powerful anyway?
In that it can drive us to do or not do more things independent of what value we attach to it.

4 example in a war, some might say it is fear of death that drives people to retaliate and 'fight for their beliefs'. Others might say it is love of their beliefs and nation that drives them to retaliate and fight.
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
people can handle fear esily, and fear comes easily. love cause many mor probs than fear, is harder to achieve and is so much harder to get over wen lost.
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by lumpycustard)
people can handle fear esily, and fear comes easily. love cause many mor probs than fear, is harder to achieve and is so much harder to get over wen lost.
love is the best
but can also be the worst

however, love conquers all.....

There is only one happiness in life,
to love and be loved.

- George Sand -
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Love is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important.

- Lisa Hoffman -
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
love is the best
but can also be the worst
thats y its the most powerful
diggergig
Report 16 years ago
The only way I can think of off-hand to compare the strength of the two against one-another without empirical research would be the annecdotal suggestion that when a situation arises in which the two emotions are in competition for dominance - to save your child from a car at the expense of your own life, for example - love may probably win out more often, as it overcomes the automatic fear that enables self-preservation.

There is very little that overules such a powerful urge to remain healthy, but love may be one of them, and therefore certainly has the ability to be 'more powerful,' but hey - I'm just talking off the top of my head here so, y'know...
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
To the world you may be one person,
but to one person you may be the world.

- Bill Wilson -
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Love or Fear?
Indigestion
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Love or Fear?

love..you just cant turn a light on and make it go away...

(im affraid of the dark which is where the light coming on thing comes from)

love Katy ***
Cloudy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Love definatly! We all need to follow our hearts!
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Love is merely an exstension of horniness in our primeval brain whereas fear is something that is caused by pre-cognitive instincts.
Notice animals they get scared but they don't seem to "love"
Cloudy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
Love is merely an exstension of horniness in our primeval brain whereas fear is something that is caused by pre-cognitive instincts.
Notice animals they get scared but they don't seem to "love"
Don't get all scientific, just admitt the beauty of love and that its all around us
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
(Original post by diggergig)
The only way I can think of off-hand to compare the strength of the two against one-another without empirical research would be the annecdotal suggestion that when a situation arises in which the two emotions are in competition for dominance - to save your child from a car at the expense of your own life, for example - love may probably win out more often, as it overcomes the automatic fear that enables self-preservation.

There is very little that overules such a powerful urge to remain healthy, but love may be one of them, and therefore certainly has the ability to be 'more powerful,' but hey - I'm just talking off the top of my head here so, y'know...
Yeh - I thought about that situation. However, in that situation I'm not sure if love and fear can be separated. The mother is afraid of the pain her child will feel. It's kinda like empathetic fear if u see what I mean. But yeh, love can when perceived like that be 'more powerful'.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Lol accused of being scientific...more psychological ...is that science...big dispute.

I'd rather be in love but as the Darkness said Love is only a feeling!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (185)
33.45%
Receiving them online / by email (275)
49.73%
I still don't know (93)
16.82%

Watched Threads