good ol' lurve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    good ol' lurve

and why? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    and why? :P
    Fear is usually artifical, which love, usually, isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting..

1 way i see it is, fear is the reason we remain alive long enough to even be aware of or develop an appreciation of love. Fear of pain and of death.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting..

1 way i see it is, fear is the reason we remain alive long enough to even be aware of or develop an appreciation of love. Fear of pain and of death.
    Yeah... but does that make fear more powerful? And how do you mean by powerful anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Yeah... but does that make fear more powerful? And how do you mean by powerful anyway?
    In that it can drive us to do or not do more things independent of what value we attach to it.

4 example in a war, some might say it is fear of death that drives people to retaliate and 'fight for their beliefs'. Others might say it is love of their beliefs and nation that drives them to retaliate and fight.

ReputationRep:
    people can handle fear esily, and fear comes easily. love cause many mor probs than fear, is harder to achieve and is so much harder to get over wen lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumpycustard)
    people can handle fear esily, and fear comes easily. love cause many mor probs than fear, is harder to achieve and is so much harder to get over wen lost.
    love is the best
    but can also be the worst

however, love conquers all.....

There is only one happiness in life,
    to love and be loved.

- George Sand -

ReputationRep:
    Love is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important.

- Lisa Hoffman -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    love is the best
    but can also be the worst
    thats y its the most powerful

ReputationRep:
    The only way I can think of off-hand to compare the strength of the two against one-another without empirical research would be the annecdotal suggestion that when a situation arises in which the two emotions are in competition for dominance - to save your child from a car at the expense of your own life, for example - love may probably win out more often, as it overcomes the automatic fear that enables self-preservation.

There is very little that overules such a powerful urge to remain healthy, but love may be one of them, and therefore certainly has the ability to be 'more powerful,' but hey - I'm just talking off the top of my head here so, y'know...

ReputationRep:
    To the world you may be one person,
    but to one person you may be the world.

- Bill Wilson -

ReputationRep:
    Love or Fear?
    Indigestion

ReputationRep:
    Love or Fear?

love..you just cant turn a light on and make it go away...

(im affraid of the dark which is where the light coming on thing comes from)

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Love definatly! We all need to follow our hearts!

ReputationRep:
    Love is merely an exstension of horniness in our primeval brain whereas fear is something that is caused by pre-cognitive instincts.
    Notice animals they get scared but they don't seem to "love"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Love is merely an exstension of horniness in our primeval brain whereas fear is something that is caused by pre-cognitive instincts.
    Notice animals they get scared but they don't seem to "love"
    Don't get all scientific, just admitt the beauty of love and that its all around us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggergig)
    The only way I can think of off-hand to compare the strength of the two against one-another without empirical research would be the annecdotal suggestion that when a situation arises in which the two emotions are in competition for dominance - to save your child from a car at the expense of your own life, for example - love may probably win out more often, as it overcomes the automatic fear that enables self-preservation.

There is very little that overules such a powerful urge to remain healthy, but love may be one of them, and therefore certainly has the ability to be 'more powerful,' but hey - I'm just talking off the top of my head here so, y'know...
    Yeh - I thought about that situation. However, in that situation I'm not sure if love and fear can be separated. The mother is afraid of the pain her child will feel. It's kinda like empathetic fear if u see what I mean. But yeh, love can when perceived like that be 'more powerful'.

ReputationRep:
    Lol accused of being scientific...more psychological ...is that science...big dispute.

I'd rather be in love but as the Darkness said Love is only a feeling!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.