?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
kk
Fran Katzenjammer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
UEA doesn't really factor in GCSEs, to be honest. Do your best in English Lit and perhaps take a foreign language.

I got A* (Eng Lit) A (Lang) A (Hist) BBBBBBC and I got onto the course.
iPaulBanks
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
UEA doesn't really factor in GCSEs, to be honest. Do your best in English Lit and perhaps take a foreign language.

I got A* (Eng Lit) A (Lang) A (Hist) BBBBBBC and I got onto the course.
Hi, I would also like to know if you could go onto study a PGCE in Sec Eng through this course? Is it 50/50 Am st +lit
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A thread for asking about the likelihood of entry and clarifying requirements.

NOT a place to list 20 gazillion A*s and claiming to be worried that your grades aren't good enough.
John Dogg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I wanted to do the foundation year medicine course. I meet all the criteria except i only got a C in english language and literature. I also have an adult literacy level 2 which the school told me was equivalent to a B grade gcse. English is also my second language... does that make any difference ?

Will i be considered or is there any thing i can do like resit because I have now finished my AS year ?
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can make sure your Personal Statement is spelt and punctuated impeccably
For example,
'I want to do the foundation year medical course. I meet all the criteria, except I only got a C in English Language and Literature. I also have an Adult Literacy Level 2 qualification, which my school told me was equivalent to a B grade GCSE. English is also my second language - does that make any difference?
Will I be considered or is there anything I can do, like resit an exam? I have now finished my AS year.
joshed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What do they ask on the entry profile? A C in GCSE is normally all that is required for most university courses.
John Dogg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by joshed)
What do they ask on the entry profile? A C in GCSE is normally all that is required for most university courses.
six gcse's grade B or above to include english science and maths.
joshed
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by John Dogg)
six gcse's grade B or above to include english science and maths.
In that case it is best to contact the admissions office and see what they say. Although your school said it counts as equal to a B grade in GCSE English, UEA may not agree so it is best to find out. If you have 6 GCSEs grade B or above including the Science and Maths and the level 2 Literacy English qualification instead of a GCSE in English I would say you would be ok, but do confirm it with admissions it is only one phone call and they are normally happy to answer, you don't even have to give your name.
poppy15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The best thing to do if you're concerned about entry requirements is to check what is listed on the UEA webpages!

Have a look at http://www.uea.ac.uk/ams/courses/ba-...e#requirements for American and English Literature (scroll down for GCSE requirements)

Or check out http://www.uea.ac.uk/med/medicine-he...r#requirements for Medicine with a Foundation Year.

If you still have questions, then I would recommend contacting the University admissions teams for the school you're interested in. You should be able to find their details online!

Hope that helps!
Liamp487
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got BBBC in my AS (dropping the C). I'm looking to study Management which requires ABB.

Are UEA likely to not take my application seriously because of this? :confused:
kersteelou
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Liamp487)
I got BBBC in my AS (dropping the C). I'm looking to study Management which requires ABB.

Are UEA likely to not take my application seriously because of this? :confused:
Hey there, I'm going into my first year of Accounting and Finance this year so similar course/same school/same entry grades.
My AS grades were ACEE, so I wouldn't worry about it. They're really good at concentrating on you as a person as opposed to you as numbers/letters on a page. It's dependant more on your predicted grades than your AS grades, so you should be fine. Good personal statement and you'll be in with a good chance.
And what I said about them concentrating on you as a person can be proved with this simple fact; my offer was ABB, I got BCC due to being in a rather difficult place at the time of my exams and they accepted me anyway - I should say that I didn't even have to call and beg, they just straight up accepted me. Maybe they were undersubscribed, but I like to think that what they said on the open day about wanting us for us is true
God, I love this uni
DanielMartin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi folks

I realise I have posted similar things along these lines but I now have my grades
so I can actually consider UEA properly.

How much do you think UEA Care about soft subjects?

I have AS levels in: English lit/lang (C - Due to one "E" module, the other was an A so I'm resitting it in january) Product Design (A) Philosophy (A)

I'm applying for philosophy for 2013 entry.

My PS is very strong ... what do you think the chances are that I'll get an offer? I'm worried the A in product design will hinder me despite explaining how design relates to philosophy minus the vulgarity in my PS.
DonkeyKong64
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

I'm really interested in doing the Literature and Creative Writing course at UEA, although right now it does seem a little bit of a pipe dream. I'm being predicted A*BB at A2 doing; English Language, English Lit and Maths respectively. I might be able to bump up the prediction for Lit to an A and my references from both English's highlight my ability to write creatively, which I can backup with a solid enough portfolio of both short and longer prose with some poetry thrown in.

The entry asks for AAA including literature. I feel my portfolio is strong, but will I be considered enough to get to the point that I can use it? I know this course is very well thought of and realise it's quite competitive.
Taura
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Was just wondering if anyone is applying to study or studies Law at the University of East Anglia?
I was looking at the entry requirements and I saw it was an AAB and unfortunately I'm predicted a ABB.. I'm planning on redoing an exam to get an AAB overall; however my predicted grades won't change. D'you guys know if the entry requirements are strict there or would they let me of a grade or if there's no point in applying?
Thanks in advance.
Pixelated
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's little point in applying if you don't have predicted grades which match the typical offer requirements; try very hard to get the predictions to change, or else choose somewhere else.
Ataria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anything about Access Courses? I'm doing one in City College Norwich.
J.Nalbandian14
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What subjects?
Taura
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Spoke to one of my teachers today and shes considering it.. Hopefully she'll bump up one of my B's to an A. *Fingers crossed!* Lol

And I'm assuming your asking what subjects I'm doing now? - Law, English Literature and English Language. And I have an AS in Psychology and History (Although I don't think I'll mention History cause I got an E :/)
Yasminadan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Taura)
Was just wondering if anyone is applying to study or studies Law at the University of East Anglia?
I was looking at the entry requirements and I saw it was an AAB and unfortunately I'm predicted a ABB.. I'm planning on redoing an exam to get an AAB overall; however my predicted grades won't change. D'you guys know if the entry requirements are strict there or would they let me of a grade or if there's no point in applying?
Thanks in advance.
Hi I have a really similar question and it would be nice if someone could give me some advice. Everyone I've spoken to including my teachers say that I should stay safe with my Ucas options rather than going for law at UEA which requires AAB. I'm predicted AAC (I only got a C in Eng, it didn't go so well so I'll be redoing it in January) and for Psych and Socio I'm predicted A's. So do you think I should apply for UEA and see what happens or go for a more safer option?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.82%
No (661)
60.7%
Not really bothered about them (223)
20.48%

Watched Threads