The Student Room Group

Things you should've took to uni, but didn't.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littleone271
I've heard that doorstops are good? I'm taking a clothes rail with me because the wardrobe is tiny..

Doorstops are a great idea. I neglected to take one with me (or anything heavy/convenient enough to act as one), then found that in order to appear vaguely sociable I had to pile all my uni books up against the door to keep it open. :tongue:
Original post by kf289
A printer!! Printing from library / uni computers can be expensive and if you're rushing to meet a deadline and run out of money on your account or the printer isn't working it's not good!

I was just wondering whether a printer would be necessary. I've seen a few people mentioning them... Looks like I should see if I can find a cheap one! It would be useful....
Reply 42
Original post by katehlouise
I was just wondering whether a printer would be necessary. I've seen a few people mentioning them... Looks like I should see if I can find a cheap one! It would be useful....

Depends on the uni/your personal preference. I'd go, see if you need it then decide.

For me I liked it because I could print work off straight after completing it then just hand it straight in. It was also was a lot easier to print off any handouts, but the library was only a 10 min walk away if my printer ever did break. However, this year at my uni first years get free printing so in that case I wouldn't have bought a printer
Original post by Boo_x
Depends on the uni/your personal preference. I'd go, see if you need it then decide.

For me I liked it because I could print work off straight after completing it then just hand it straight in. It was also was a lot easier to print off any handouts, but the library was only a 10 min walk away if my printer ever did break. However, this year at my uni first years get free printing so in that case I wouldn't have bought a printer

Yeah I was thinking about the costs. I'm not sure about the prices at Cumbria so maybe it would be better to wait until I'm there!
Thanks for that advice! :3
Reply 44
100% A printer. There were many times when ALL of the printers in the library were down on a deadline day. There's is nothing more worrying than running around trying to find someone with a printer. It's also easier for printing out handouts etc. There's also nothing worse than walking to the library when it's chucking it down or snowing. ¬¬

A full length mirror! When I first started they only provided me with a mirror in the bathroom. How they expected girls to curl/straighten their hair I have no idea. You also can't check out your outfits and make sure everything goes without a full length mirror.

Plain white t-shirts. It sounds stupid but if you don't have a primark close at hand it can get expensive buying white t-shirts. I have used 10 this year for things such as fancy dress, UV paint parties and white t-shirt nights where everyone signs your top.

Sunday move in's If you're moving in on a Sunday (like I did) then either pick up your basics (milk, bacon, butter etc) on the way or the day before. Guaranteed by the time you get there the supermarkets will be closed or your flatmates will want to bond and you'll go hungry. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Emmzaa

A full length mirror! When I first started they only provided me with a mirror in the bathroom. How they expected girls to curl/straighten their hair I have no idea. You also can't check out your outfits and make sure everything goes without a full length mirror.

Most definitely getting a full length mirror when I move! I always have to check my outfit before I go out :colondollar:
Reply 46
Original post by tracijune
Definitely agree with this one!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Is that code for don't sleep around? Cause, y'know, f**k your s**t.
Toilet roll :rolleyes: :redface:
Original post by Emmzaa
100% A printer. There were many times when ALL of the printers in the library were down on a deadline day. There's is nothing more worrying than running around trying to find someone with a printer. It's also easier for printing out handouts etc. There's also nothing worse than walking to the library when it's chucking it down or snowing. ¬¬

Plain white t-shirts. It sounds stupid but if you don't have a primark close at hand it can get expensive buying white t-shirts. I have used 10 this year for things such as fancy dress, UV paint parties and white t-shirt nights where everyone signs your top.

Sunday move in's If you're moving in on a Sunday (like I did) then either pick up your basics (milk, bacon, butter etc) on the way or the day before. Guaranteed by the time you get there the supermarkets will be closed or your flatmates will want to bond and you'll go hungry. :tongue:

What should I do about the full length mirror (I don't know if I get one there) if I'm not allowed to hang stuff on the walls?

Original post by such_a_lady
What should I do about the full length mirror (I don't know if I get one there) if I'm not allowed to hang stuff on the walls?

rest it against the wall on an angle? you'll still be able to see everything
Original post by neutralmilkhotel
rest it against the wall on an angle? you'll still be able to see everything

That'll probably end in me knocking it over, buy good idea!

Reply 51
Original post by such_a_lady

There are plenty of places to prop it. Mine started on my desk, then got moved onto the floor and then it ended up on an empty crate of beer (which was the perfect height for me :tongue: .) You'll find somewhere to put it. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending