The Student Room Group

'The Game' - a guy insults you.. is actually flirting!?

I've heard someone discussing unconsious dating rules men follow called The Game where when say they meet a girl they find attractive in a club, they will focus more on their friends and then insult the girl, then ignore her for abit to try to see if she is interested?

Because in one certain situation ages ago this guy who I liked (but was way out of my league) the first time I talked to him he just basically kept insulting me and implying how my friend (who is prettier) is better. In this case I just thought he was an idiot and ignored him, thinking fair enough he wants to be with my friend, who can blame him. But then two week later he got my number of someone to text me out of the blue...

why do people think this works?!
herp_derp_by_froskeilone-d3g179l.jpg
Reply 2
You fancy him and think he's out of your league... and you're saying it doesn't work??
Reply 3
If they're that stupid it hardly seems worth bothering with them.:dontknow:
Original post by Jambre
You fancy him and think he's out of your league... and you're saying it doesn't work??

She said she already liked him, not that she started liking him after this.

It's a really stupid thing to do and probably backfires way more than it actually works. If a guy was a b*****d to me and it turned out he actually liked me, I would just assume that he was a b*****d in general and ignore him.
Reply 5
Original post by Jambre

I liked him and always knew he was out of my league before that, it doesnt work cause I have been avoiding him because part of me thinks he does not like me and I do not want to spend my time with someone who insults me

I could see how it would work for perhaps a more confident girl, who gets complimented all the time- yeah she will probably be more interested in someone who is different and insults her
Reply 6
Oh that book has been written more than 10 years ago, why would someone still use it. It's bull****, he likes you, that's all.
Reply 7
Well I suppose he is on your mind right now so it can't be all that bad a strategy :cool:

I could see his angle. Find girl you deem to be less attractive. Flirt a bit with her. Insult her and put her down, then flirt with her mates so that when you give her a shred of attention next time she will hang on for dear life. The way out of my league statement oozes confidence issues and so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of blokes picked up on that....

But conversely, if I am wrong and the guy was flirting and genuine then is it the sort of bloke you'd want to be with anyway? Constantly putting you down and comparing you to other girls?

I think you would be better meeting guys who can flirt/tease, because those things will make you feel sexy and happy instead of insecure and confused like now...

just my opinion
Original post by Kerr Avon
If they're that stupid it hardly seems worth bothering with them.:dontknow:

Errm... What he said.

Anyone who attempts to use some lame 'lad banter' isn't worth bothering with to be honest. Banter is the worst word and worst thing known to man. CBA with it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
There's a big, fat, juicy line between playfully insulting and teasing somebody and actually insulting them. Being playful is a standard thing in my opinion, helps avoid the whole degree/history of my life rubbish people spew out of their mouths constantly.
Reply 10
Its called banter/cocky and funny.

Being TOO cocky and you're just insulting.

Being too funny and you're just another comedian.

You get a mix, where you are playfully messing around, to be successful
In my experience girls love being teased when you first meet them. And by teasing I don't mean telling them they have **** clothes or they are uglier than their mates lol, that's just being a ****. I normally go for their accent, seeing as my one gets so much attention usually.
(edited 11 years ago)
Game playing is for children. I wouldn't entertain any idiot who insulted my intelligence and behaved like a douche.
Reply 13
Lol what your saying is really demeaning ... But I've always insulted the girls I've liked
Insulting a person you like just reminds me of guys in primary school pulling/name calling girls they like. It is stupid and childish. I hate people who play games and if a guy did that to me, I would just think they were a dickhead.
A bloke I was seeing/dating/bf gf with begun calling me divy, div - he so said he was joking but I found it quite insulting if im honest! He then resorted to calling my car ****, the same car that was driving us about the place. Part of me thinks he was joking, but the other part thinks he's serious? :dontknow:. Either way - whether it is banter, or because you fancy the individual, it's incredibly annoying, and quite frankly so very childish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending