The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Accom. Which Hall is closest to the Social Science Building?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by georgia
Bathroom sharing is absolutely fine. You share a bathroom at home (probably!) so it's not exactly an issue sharing one at uni :wink:

And yes, you can usually only put one ensuite choice down. I can't remember if one time you could put a 30 week ensuite and a 39 week ensuite...but when you're putting a shortlist together, bank on the idea that you can only have one.

Thaank youuu sooo muuch!

Well all the occasions where I've had to share a bathroom have been nothing short of disasterous, but guess I have no choice left but to consider it :/

Now I can't even put JM and Ben together...I'm screwed! Deciding between halls is way harder than choosing which uni to apply to..seriously!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
Original post by jesuisbelle88
Thaank youuu sooo muuch!

Well all the occasions where I've had to share a bathroom have been nothing short of disasterous, but guess I have no choice left but to consider it :/

Now I can't even put JM and Ben together...I'm screwed! Deciding between halls is way harder than choosing which uni to apply to..seriously!

Warwick campus accommodation has cleaners in, and the frequency depends on the number of people sharing a space.

In first year I lived in Claycroft - 8 people to a kitchen, 2 people to a bathroom. The bathroom was cleaned weekly, the kitchen was cleaned Monday, Wednesday and Friday. They also cleaned my bedroom fortnightly...but this is not the case in all accommodation now.
By contrast, Westwood was like...LOADS of people to a kitchen and a bathroom with three toilet stalls, and one with three shower cubicles. Whenever I stayed there I never had to wait to use the toilet or the shower, and they were cleaned daily or every other day...can't remember exactly what. Also in Rootes the bathrooms were cleaned pretty often.
Ensuite accommodation tends to be that the bathroom is your own responsibility and the kitchen is cleaned on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday cycle.

This year I have been living in Redfern, actually in a flat with just one other person, although it is usually five to a flat. Our kitchen is cleaned Mon/Wed/Fri, and the bathroom is usually cleaned one to two times a week although it seems to be at the whim of whichever cleaner we have that day.

So basically you don't need to worry about cleanliness or rotas or anything like that, and it is honestly not even remotely a problem to share facilities.

If you can provide evidence of medical conditions to support you living in a particular place I would recommend doing that - then they are highly likely to place you where you want/need to be. They are ridiculously accommodating when it comes to that kind of thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
in AV kitchens are done mon/wed/fri and bathroom cleaned/room vacuumed every week
Reply 23
Yes - agree with Georgia on the bathroom front, it isn't an issue, they're fine in my experience. Bluebell ensuites are cleaned weekly, can't comment on other accommodation.

When I applied the only restriction was one 30-week ensuite choice - i.e. either JM or AV, you couldn't select both. You could still have, e.g. JM, Lakeside and Bluebell if you wanted to (as the latter 2 are 39 week rents). But it changes year on year, so you'll have to wait to see what Warwick Accom say when applying. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by georgia
Warwick campus accommodation has cleaners in, and the frequency depends on the number of people sharing a space.

In first year I lived in Claycroft - 8 people to a kitchen, 2 people to a bathroom. The bathroom was cleaned weekly, the kitchen was cleaned Monday, Wednesday and Friday. They also cleaned my bedroom fortnightly...but this is not the case in all accommodation now.
By contrast, Westwood was like...LOADS of people to a kitchen and a bathroom with three toilet stalls, and one with three shower cubicles. Whenever I stayed there I never had to wait to use the toilet or the shower, and they were cleaned daily or every other day...can't remember exactly what. Also in Rootes the bathrooms were cleaned pretty often.
Ensuite accommodation tends to be that the bathroom is your own responsibility and the kitchen is cleaned on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday cycle.

This year I have been living in Redfern, actually in a flat with just one other person, although it is usually five to a flat. Our kitchen is cleaned Mon/Wed/Fri, and the bathroom is usually cleaned one to two times a week although it seems to be at the whim of whichever cleaner we have that day.

So basically you don't need to worry about cleanliness or rotas or anything like that, and it is honestly not even remotely a problem to share facilities.

If you can provide evidence of medical conditions to support you living in a particular place I would recommend doing that - then they are highly likely to place you where you want/need to be. They are ridiculously accommodating when it comes to that kind of thing.

Omg Georgia, you just made this sooo much easier for me!! Now I don't feel so bad about putting down choices with shared bathrooms. Thanks sooo much, you're sooo sweet! :smile:
I've emailed the disabilities dep as well...let's see what they say....
Reply 25
Original post by Az00123
in AV kitchens are done mon/wed/fri and bathroom cleaned/room vacuumed every week

Thanks for the info!! :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by edededd
Yes - agree with Georgia on the bathroom front, it isn't an issue, they're fine in my experience. Bluebell ensuites are cleaned weekly, can't comment on other accommodation.

When I applied the only restriction was one 30-week ensuite choice - i.e. either JM or AV, you couldn't select both. You could still have, e.g. JM, Lakeside and Bluebell if you wanted to (as the latter 2 are 39 week rents). But it changes year on year, so you'll have to wait to see what Warwick Accom say when applying. :smile:

Thanks! :smile: I'll keep that in mind.
Has anyone lived in Benefactors or Westwood? Is sharing the kitchen with that many people really that big of an issue? Also, does anyone know of anyone who put down they wanted a single and got put in a shared room? I know it can often be shared at the beginning of the year.

Reply 28
Original post by ComedyAddict
Has anyone lived in Benefactors or Westwood? Is sharing the kitchen with that many people really that big of an issue? Also, does anyone know of anyone who put down they wanted a single and got put in a shared room? I know it can often be shared at the beginning of the year.

I was in Westwood - It's really great sharing a kitchen with lots of people because it means you can get to know lots of people and even are there are some people you don't get on with, there are likely to be plenty more that you do talk to. Additionally, since it's possible to move freely between the floors in each building then you can get to know people on other floors if you prefer. I know quite a few people who did this. Also, to make up for so many people the kitchen is bigger although I have heard that the people/space ratio is better in places like Jack Martin but I don't know much about that.

The main downside of having a big kitchen is that it can get very dirty very quickly. There is a cleaner who cleans it all three times a week but that means no-one else ever cleans it themselves. But it's usually possible to find a clean surface somewhere (even if it's on a windowsill) if if not, it's not hard to just wipe down somewhere.

None of the Westwood rooms are meant to be shared permanently but I do know of several people who shared rooms temporarily (I didn't share one myself). From what I've heard, experiences were varied - some people got on really well with their roommate and others hardly talked. It can also be good fun with so many beds all over the rooms because people sometimes moved them into other rooms for sleepovers. Generally, pretty much everyone stopped sharing a room by the end of the first term.
Does anyone know what Sherbourne is going to look like? I wanted to know if the flats are very restricted or whether it's easy to visit people in other ones. I've heard in Bluebell that cos the doors open with uni cards only the people living in each specific flat can enter the corridor leading to their room.

I like the idea of Sherbourne (as well as all the 30 week halls but can only pick one) but am unsure whether flats are less sociable/a less ideal place to be if you want to make friends. I figure even if the accommodation is crowded at least if there are lots of people it'll be easy to make friends.
Original post by ComedyAddict
Does anyone know what Sherbourne is going to look like? I wanted to know if the flats are very restricted or whether it's easy to visit people in other ones. I've heard in Bluebell that cos the doors open with uni cards only the people living in each specific flat can enter the corridor leading to their room.

I like the idea of Sherbourne (as well as all the 30 week halls but can only pick one) but am unsure whether flats are less sociable/a less ideal place to be if you want to make friends. I figure even if the accommodation is crowded at least if there are lots of people it'll be easy to make friends.

Heya, there's a floor plan on page 4 of this thread.

At the moment photobucket's server seems to be down so the photo is not available just yet :colonhash: but if you keep checking it will arrive :smile:

But yeah - 10-13 per kitchen - flat layout. I wouldn't be surprised if they also have the keycard system as all new university halls seem to be doing it now.

Quick Reply

Latest