The Student Room Group

Multiculturalism v Uniculturalism? THE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SaintSoldier
With the implication that Sikhism wasn't tolerant in the past?

If that is what you were implying, then you are quite clearly wrong.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise Sikhism supported gay marriage, equal rights for women, tolerance towards other religions and democracy over theocracy right from its inception in 1499 :rolleyes:
Reply 81
Original post by Tahooper
Please actually read what I said before replying.

Did. Still wonder how you made those conclusions. Care to elaborate so I understand you?
Reply 82
Original post by FatCharlie
Did. Still wonder how you made those conclusions. Care to elaborate so I understand you?

I was saying that Modern Christianity is more tolerant that Islam, which has yet to modernise, although when it does, I'm sure it will be almost as tolerant.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realise Sikhism supported gay marriage, equal rights for women, tolerance towards other religions and democracy over theocracy right from its inception in 1499 :rolleyes:

With the exception of the bit I crossed out, it does :rolleyes:

Having said that, gay people can get married in a Sikh state. They just can't get married in a Gurdwara and they can't claim that the marriage is lawful under Sikhism. But if they're Hindus/atheist/whatever who just happen to live in a Sikh state, then they can get married to whoever they want.
Reply 84
I was saying that Modern Christianity is more tolerant that Islam, which has yet to modernise, although when it does, I'm sure it will be almost as tolerant.

And still I don't understand you. We got many fine examples about how "modern" Christianity and Judaism still are not as tolerant as you might hope.

And when it comes to Islam, I find it to be quite modern and somewhat tolerant. It's all about your point of view, of how fundamentalist / orthodox people are.
Reply 85
With the exception of the bit I crossed out, it does :rolleyes:

Having said that, gay people can get married in a Sikh state. They just can't get married in a Gurdwara and they can't claim that the marriage is lawful under Sikhism. But if they're Hindus/atheist/whatever who just happen to live in a Sikh state, then they can get married to whoever they want.

Listen Singh, I know you're a Sikh, so of course you are going to be a blindly ignorant typical religious bigot and suggest that your religion is the most tolerant and above all the only true religion.

I certainly hope you have the intellectual capability to comprehend the fallacies of your chosen (I say chosen, the more likely outcome is that you were indoctrinated from an early age) religion.
Reply 86
And still I don't understand you. We got many fine examples about how "modern" Christianity and Judaism still are not as tolerant as you might hope.

And when it comes to Islam, I find it to be quite modern and somewhat tolerant. It's all about your point of view, of how fundamentalist / orthodox people are.

I'm talking about the religion in general, not individuals.

I don't see any Christians going about trying to get women to cover themselves in burkas/niqabs or stoning people to death (essentially torture) on the slightest suspicion that they may have committed Haram.
Reply 87

I don't see any Christians going about trying to get women to cover themselves in burkas/niqabs or stoning people to death (essentially torture) on the slightest suspicion that they may have committed Haram.

Then maybe you should. There is a huge community within Islam who are studying the Qu'ran and the religious text regarding these issues. Many Muslims today to not agree with the social stigmas and laws that some Muslim countries have.

As far as I know, I know no country that have based there laws on Christianity/Judaism only (like in the case of Sharia - KSA, Iran etc). If we stick to the written parts of religion neither is very tolerant. There is many religious people (both Christians and Jews) who advocate women to cover up and have very specific regulation when it comes to women and what they can and cannot do. The stoning.. Yeah, that one I can give you, but still it's a tad off because all Muslim countries do not use this "method" of punishment.
Listen Singh, I know you're a Sikh,

I think that's fairly obvious, given the picture in my sig. I'm not trying to hide, I want people to know that I'm Sikh.

so of course you are going to be a blindly ignorant typical religious bigot and suggest that your religion is the most tolerant and above all the only true religion.

Why don't you actually read up on Sikhism instead of posting about a topic that you have no knowledge of? You're the bigot, not me. I actually know something about Sikhism.

We'll take religious tolerance for example. You say we're intolerant, but did you know that Guru Tegh Bahadur died for the survival of Hinduism? The Hindus came to him begging him to save them from extinction, so he challenged Emperor Aurangzeb to convert him to Islam. The wager was that if the Emperor could convert him, he would order all of Kashmir and Punjab to convert.

He was tortured, and then executed. All because he supported religious freedom.

Now you could never do that, and probably neither could I, but he did. He is the only religious prophet in history to have died for another religion, which is definitely worthy of praise, whatever religion you are.

Bhai Sati Das, Bhai Mata Das, and Bhai Dayala all died for the survival of Hinduism, not Sikhism. So how can possibly you say that we're not tolerant?
350px-Bhai_Mati_Das_portrait.jpg
Satidasjee.jpg
300px-Bhaidyala.jpg

Next time, try reading about a religion before you make such slanderous statements against it.
I certainly hope you have the intellectual capability to comprehend the fallacies of your chosen (I say chosen, the more likely outcome is that you were indoctrinated from an early age) religion.

Actually, my parents aren't that religious. My knowledge of Sikhism has come through my own efforts. It is true to say that I was born a Sikh, but it's not my parents didn't really encourage me to take an interest in my religion. That came from me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
I think that's fairly obvious, given the picture in my sig. I'm not trying to hide, I want people to know that I'm Sikh.

Why don't you actually read up on Sikhism instead of posting about a topic that you have no knowledge of? You're the bigot, not me. I actually know something about Sikhism.

We'll take religious tolerance for example. You say we're intolerant, but did you know that Guru Tegh Bahadur died for the survival of Hinduism? The Hindus came to him begging him to save them from extinction, so he challenged Emperor Aurangzeb to convert him to Islam. The wager was that if the Emperor could convert him, he would order all of Kashmir and Punjab to convert.

He was tortured, and then executed. All because he supported religious freedom.

Now you could never do that, and probably neither could I, but he did. He is the only religious prophet in history to have died for another religion, which is definitely worthy of praise, whatever religion you are.

Bhai Sati Das, Bhai Mata Das, and Bhai Dayala all died for the survival of Hinduism, not Sikhism. So how can possibly you say that we're not tolerant?
350px-Bhai_Mati_Das_portrait.jpg
Satidasjee.jpg
300px-Bhaidyala.jpg

Next time, try reading about a religion before you make such slanderous statements against it.

Actually, my parents aren't that religious. My knowledge of Sikhism has come through my own efforts. It is true to say that I was born a Sikh, but it's not my parents didn't really encourage me to take an interest in my religion. That came from me.

Bravo for wasting 5 minutes of your life :clap2:

P.S. I didn't say Sikhism was intolerant in a modern context, it was just as intolerant as the other religions at the time (Sikhism is not special) and considering that after Pakistan and India were formed the Sikhs fought against both sides to try and create their own nation despite the fact that they weren't being oppressed at all in India kind of suggests they are very egotistical in that they want a country for their own people.
Reply 90
Then maybe you should. There is a huge community within Islam who are studying the Qu'ran and the religious text regarding these issues. Many Muslims today to not agree with the social stigmas and laws that some Muslim countries have.

As far as I know, I know no country that have based there laws on Christianity/Judaism only (like in the case of Sharia - KSA, Iran etc). If we stick to the written parts of religion neither is very tolerant. There is many religious people (both Christians and Jews) who advocate women to cover up and have very specific regulation when it comes to women and what they can and cannot do. The stoning.. Yeah, that one I can give you, but still it's a tad off because all Muslim countries do not use this "method" of punishment.

England, USA, Italy, The Vatican, Israel etc.

Give me an example of Christians who want to cover women from head to toe and in extreme cases cover their faces completely in a veil/burka.

Regardless of whether the stonings are "legal" or not, I'd be willing to bet all Islamic states practice that form of execution.
How can people of different cultures do anything other than segregate themselves? If one culture believes in democracy and equal rights for women (like modern Christianity/Judaism) and another culture believes in theocracy and unequal rights for women (like but not limited to Islam etc.) then of course they are not going to get a long which is where multiculturalism falls short.
As I said earlier, 'culture' is not a concrete, real concept that can be juxtaposed in any meaningful way. You are presupposing the extent and compatibility of those traits with other people, when you have no basis to do so. The extent to which you can have an amiable relationship with another person is idiosyncratic.

Are there Satanists and Catholics in Britain?
Bravo for wasting 5 minutes of your life :clap2:

Nice cop out there, you successfully dodged my whole argument and didn't counter anything I said. You're really fair when it comes to judging religions aren't you.

P.S. I didn't say Sikhism was intolerant in a modern context,

Sikhism, as it is today, is probably the most intolerant it's ever been.

So your point kind of fails there.

it was just as intolerant as the other religions at the time (Sikhism is not special)

Did you not read what I posted? We are the only religion in the world that has a prophet who has died for the sake of another religion, which he did not adhere to nor recognise as true. I don't see how you can just pass that off as being nothing.

and considering that after Pakistan and India were formed the Sikhs fought against both sides to try and create their own nation

Who were they fighting? How many did they kill?

Find some statistics before you make such assumptions.

despite the fact that they weren't being oppressed at all in India

Oh really? So you think being told to convert to Hinduism is not oppression? Fast forwarding to 1984, do you not think that being raped in your own house by the police, who are supposed to be helping you, is oppression?

kind of suggests they are very egotistical in that they want a country for their own people.

Everyone would be treated fairly in a Sikh state, as has been demonstrated by history;

"At present, flushed by a series of victories, they (the Sikhs) have a zeal and buoyancy of spirit amounting to enthusiasm; and with the power of taking the most exemplary revenge, they have been still more lenient than the Mohammedan were ever towards them"
(Masson, Charles. 1842. Narrative of Various Journeys in Balochistan, Afghanistan and the Panjab, 3 v. London: Richard Bentley, (1) 435)

"...though a Mohammedan the Sikhs repaired and beautified his [mosque], which is now a conspicuous white building that glitters in the sun. I have always observed the Sikhs to be most tolerant in their religion"
(Burnes, Alexander. National Archives of India (New Delhi) Foreign Secret Consultation, 6 June 1833, No. 5)
One Culture, multiple races.

Basically, if you are from a foreign country through ethnicity and living in the UK, and then one day that foreign country went to war with the UK and you are on the foreign country's "allegiance". Then you really shouldn't be here.

There should be more to moving to a country than just for it's Economic benefit, there's an entire culture that comes with it.
Reply 94
Nice cop out there, you successfully dodged my whole argument and didn't counter anything I said. You're really fair when it comes to judging religions aren't you.

Sikhism, as it is today, is probably the most intolerant it's ever been.

So your point kind of fails there.

Did you not read what I posted? We are the only religion in the world that has a prophet who has died for the sake of another religion, which he did not adhere to nor recognise as true. I don't see how you can just pass that off as being nothing.

Who were they fighting? How many did they kill?

Find some statistics before you make such assumptions.

Oh really? So you think being told to convert to Hinduism is not oppression? Fast forwarding to 1984, do you not think that being raped in your own house by the police, who are supposed to be helping you, is oppression?

Everyone would be treated fairly in a Sikh state, as has been demonstrated by history;

"At present, flushed by a series of victories, they (the Sikhs) have a zeal and buoyancy of spirit amounting to enthusiasm; and with the power of taking the most exemplary revenge, they have been still more lenient than the Mohammedan were ever towards them"
(Masson, Charles. 1842. Narrative of Various Journeys in Balochistan, Afghanistan and the Panjab, 3 v. London: Richard Bentley, (1) 435)

"...though a Mohammedan the Sikhs repaired and beautified his [mosque], which is now a conspicuous white building that glitters in the sun. I have always observed the Sikhs to be most tolerant in their religion"
(Burnes, Alexander. National Archives of India (New Delhi) Foreign Secret Consultation, 6 June 1833, No. 5)

1. Sikhism is fairly tolerant today, I find it odd how you've changed your stance from blindly supporting it to now being a self-hater. If you think Sikhism is intolerant, by following it you are promoting intolerance by association.

2. Jesus died for the Jews. Although I'm guessing you haven't heard of Christianity. Or any other religion for that matter.

3. Please provide a source for your heinous claim that Sikhs were forced to convert to Hinduism and were raped by the police.
Reply 95
Original post by whyumadtho
As I said earlier, 'culture' is not a concrete, real concept that can be juxtaposed in any meaningful way. You are presupposing the extent and compatibility of those traits with other people, when you have no basis to do so. The extent to which you can have an amiable relationship with another person is idiosyncratic.

Are there Satanists and Catholics in Britain?

There are Catholics (a type of Christian :fyi:) and probably Satanists, what's your point?
Reply 96

Religion is only as radical as those people who practice that religion.

E.g. Christians in certain parts of Africa and the Caribbean, for example, would not be nearly as tolerant as those say in Western Europe.

E.g. Jews attacking other Jews for not wearing "conservative" clothing

Its a bit incorrect to say that religion is what controls people's extremism. What is a bit more important is the culture, and how each particular culture INTERPRETS that religion
Reply 97
England, USA, Italy, The Vatican, Israel etc.

Give me an example of Christians who want to cover women from head to toe and in extreme cases cover their faces completely in a veil/burka.

Regardless of whether the stonings are "legal" or not, I'd be willing to bet all Islamic states practice that form of execution.

I said countries that are using their scriptures only. Neither of those, except the Vatican counts as that. And I'm not really sure we can bring in the Vatican in this example. But sure.
All of these countries(other than the Vatican) are built on their religion but have secular courts etc.

An example? The Copts? You cannot tell a Muslim and Copt apart other than from jewelry and the christian tattoo in Egypt.
Jewish women in Israel shave their hair and use wigs to cover their hair. They also wear headscarves and cover their body from top to bottom. They use special swimwear that look the same as the ones for Muslim women.
There are Catholics (a type of Christian :fyi:) and probably Satanists, what's your point?
It demonstrates it is possible to have two conflicting opinions held by various residents of the same country; i.e., multiculturalism.
Reply 99
Original post by dgeorge
Religion is only as radical as those people who practice that religion.

E.g. Christians in certain parts of Africa and the Caribbean, for example, would not be nearly as tolerant as those say in Western Europe.

E.g. Jews attacking other Jews for not wearing "conservative" clothing

Its a bit incorrect to say that religion is what controls people's extremism. What is a bit more important is the culture, and how each particular culture INTERPRETS that religion

Correct.

That is why I am against multiculturalism because the cultures of the middle east are too extreme for western society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending