is anyone going to study...European Law next year??

Watch
This discussion is closed.
acisejica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Sorry to have such a specific thread, and for it to be yet another law related one....
But I have been to many open days and have yet to find somebody that will be studying for the same course!
A lot of law ppl but no European law ppl!
are there any here??
if so, what unis?? what offers?? where do u all want to go???
Reply!
Ladyluck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by acisejica)
Sorry to have such a specific thread, and for it to be yet another law related one....
But I have been to many open days and have yet to find somebody that will be studying for the same course!
A lot of law ppl but no European law ppl!
are there any here??
if so, what unis?? what offers?? where do u all want to go???
Reply!
Hi!

I have applied for Law with German and European Legal Studies (german) which contains its fair share of european law.
I am doing Alevel law atm, did a bit of European Law last year and am hoping that it gets better at uni . lol!!!

I have offers at the mo for Law with german at Birm and Hull
for LLB European Legal studies i have an offer from Lancaster.

Still waiting on one and got two rejections! Fun fun.

Where will you be going?
acisejica
Rep:
?
lol yay someone else is doing it!! I myself am doing Law and French, not sure where yet though ok so now we have one french and one german person and we want to find more!!
have u managed to find any ppl btw on your courses?
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
lol yay someone else is doing it!! I myself am doing Law and French, not sure where yet though ok so now we have one french and one german person and we want to find more!!
have u managed to find any ppl btw on your courses?
No! Its cus you have to be clever to do a dual degree esp with a language!! Ok enough praise for us loners doing Law and Language!!!
Most unis only have a few places for it. Eg NOttingham have only 6 yes SIX places for law with german, birm have about 12, hull 10, dont know many more.

x
acisejica
Rep:
?
yeh manc only hav 11 places, notts hav 6?!?! thts not good news, spesh as the test ddnt go 2 well...... thts the only place im waiting for. hav places at warwick, exeter, reading & manc. rejected from cambridge (mon dieu!)
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeh manc only hav 11 places, notts hav 6?!?! thts not good news, spesh as the test ddnt go 2 well...... thts the only place im waiting for. hav places at warwick, exeter, reading & manc. rejected from cambridge (mon dieu!)
Yeah i did the law test too looked at the list when i arrived to be ticked off it, there were at least 30 -40 people down for Law Germ. AARgh!!! The test was mean, its boringness made it difficult to focus on and concentrate. I founf the "do you agree with this principle" thing vague and ambiguous, and the last page the marking scheme was a bit mean, deducting a pt for a wring answer.
That means if two people were tied on marks the one who had took a gamble but got it wrong would get the place over someone who ran out of time / whatever and put *dont know*.
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i was going to do it but there wern't that many places offering spanish with it. MOst of the ones i saw were for an optional year abroad with minimal language tution. So i decided to do a spanish degree instead and then if i still want to be a lawyer at the end, do the conversion course.
acisejica
Rep:
?
(Original post by emom100)
i was going to do it but there wern't that many places offering spanish with it. MOst of the ones i saw were for an optional year abroad with minimal language tution. So i decided to do a spanish degree instead and then if i still want to be a lawyer at the end, do the conversion course.
yeh thts qu a good idea, i was going to do the spanish version of european law but found the same problem... (also I'm better at French now anyway )
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
I know what you mean. there arent many unis offering Law with German, Some of the more respected ones dont - Durham, Oxbridge, etc just some dodgy ELS with minimum language tuition. The ones i applied to have said it will be 2/3 law 1/3 German not sure how well this will set me up for a year abroad, but hey will have to see!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeh thts qu a good idea, i was going to do the spanish version of european law but found the same problem... (also I'm better at French now anyway )
How did you find the notts test and when did you do it?
acisejica
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladyluck)
Yeah i did the law test too looked at the list when i arrived to be ticked off it, there were at least 30 -40 people down for Law Germ. AARgh!!! The test was mean, its boringness made it difficult to focus on and concentrate. I founf the "do you agree with this principle" thing vague and ambiguous, and the last page the marking scheme was a bit mean, deducting a pt for a wring answer.
That means if two people were tied on marks the one who had took a gamble but got it wrong would get the place over someone who ran out of time / whatever and put *dont know*.
Yeh I know... but to be honest it doesn't bother me that much because the place didn't really feel that right to me...it was really nice and everything, the ppl were nice, course looked good etc but it didn't seem to *click* the way other places did.

That said, its so good, if the offer comes through it might be worth reconsidering...
acisejica
Rep:
?
How did you find the notts test and when did you do it?
i found it incredibly hard and heavy going, although I kind of got into it more as I went along... I swear I spent 10 mins reading the instructions!!! I'm not used to that dense legal language...no commas!!
I did it Fri 20th, u?
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Yeh I know... but to be honest it doesn't bother me that much because the place didn't really feel that right to me...it was really nice and everything, the ppl were nice, course looked good etc but it didn't seem to *click* the way other places did.

That said, its so good, if the offer comes through it might be worth reconsidering...
Even tho its a BA degree? I found the other students doing the test to be quite insular, nobody seemed willing to talk to one another- tho' i tried!! Everyone was tryng to pysch each other out and not give away any info - even if it was jow far they'd had to travel!! Grrr!! Competetive or what!!
acisejica
Rep:
?
so u didn't like it much then?!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i found it incredibly hard and heavy going, although I kind of got into it more as I went along... I swear I spent 10 mins reading the instructions!!! I'm not used to that dense legal language...no commas!!
I did it Fri 20th, u?
Mon 23rd. - i didnt like the bit about hearsay and captain mainwaring!! lol tragic. I found the PACE questions ok even tho they had teh dodgy markscheme, the shipping contract thing was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring!

What i also found really stupid is that they didnt put out enough tables and chairs for peole to sit in when we had the chat before the test, nice of them to make the late comers feel awkward!!

It wouldnt have been hard to work out how many students were coming and double/ treble it to account for parents/ Bf's/ Gf's etc!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Unfortunately- i did like it!! its the only uni ive not heard from yet - but the one i liked the most - the one im most likely to be rejected from though!! lifes a demon eh!!
acisejica
Rep:
?
the shipping contract thing was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring!!
You are soooo right
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Mate i might be LLB Europeon law, witha year in france, they have given me option of doin either LLB, LLB Europeon Law 4 year( year spent in euro country) or LLB Four year witha year spent in canada and sum other places !
acisejica
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sunnyt)
Mate i might be LLB Europeon law, witha year in france, they have given me option of doin either LLB, LLB Europeon Law 4 year( year spent in euro country) or LLB Four year witha year spent in canada and sum other places !
ummm are u talking bout notts?!
Ladyluck
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
You are soooo right
I am a bit worried that when i finished the test i saw "IMPORTANT donot deface, write on or mark this question paper"

guess who underlined a few times and added a couple of ticks!..oops. I dont know if that is part of the test,* can he/she follow instructions?!!* i obviously didnt!!

I scanned the top of the page the Notts uni law school bit, then it was the *IMpOrtant* statement, which i overlooked. I am scared they will look at my scribblings!!

lol the paranoia!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (7)
63.64%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
18.18%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
9.09%

Watched Threads