This discussion is closed.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Can anybody tell me when these are going to be brought in? I haven't really paid much attention to it as it won't affect me, but now I'm curious.

Will they be brought in across the board or just to new students (ie, will students in third year when they are introduced have to pay them?)
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
They will be introduced in September 2006, this will affect applications next year however as nobody will want to take a gap year, so there will be stiff competition.
If you start University in September 2004 or 05 though, you will not be affected, you'll just have a lot of rich and very smart graduates following you into the work force
giblets
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
I alsways find it amazing how so many NUS members are members of the labour party, had the Tories intorduced any of this there would ahve been riots, as it is there is a quiet, and polite, oh no I don't think that is a good idea, sad really.
emom100
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
have you missed all the protests then?
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emom100)
have you missed all the protests then?
im starting uni this sept (04) so won't i have to pay the higher fee in my third year (06), will it only be people who have started in that year??
HELP!!!!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
will it only be people who have started in that year??!
YES
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
YES
so i carry on paying 1,000 ish for my whole 3 years????? i never have to pay £3000????
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so i carry on paying 1,000 ish for my whole 3 years????? i never have to pay £3000????
YES!
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
YES!
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ollie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
so how does this effect us and why should i strike from lecture and work?
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Exactly. Stupid NUS relying on conformity. "Oh, these people represent us, so why don't we sign every sheet of paper they give us". Great. Now they're trying to take us out of college, away from education on strike because of top up fees. Nice one, idiots.
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Exactly. Stupid NUS relying on conformity. "Oh, these people represent us, so why don't we sign every sheet of paper they give us". Great. Now they're trying to take us out of college, away from education on strike because of top up fees. Nice one, idiots.

how does everyone know so much about this- how can i find out more info on fees??
john !!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
how does everyone know so much about this- how can i find out more info on fees??
I watch the news at 10, then switch over to newsnight at 10:20, I don't fully concentrate on ti like play darts or brush my teeth but it still sinks in I guess.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/en/studen...ition_fees.cfm
gives the basics

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/popularquesti...122&new=0#7122
and http://www.dfes.gov.uk/hegateway/ have a little more

and

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/highereducation/hestrategy/
has the entire white paper (although some things have been changed since this was published a year ago)
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
I watch the news at 10, then switch over to newsnight at 10:20, I don't fully concentrate on ti like play darts or brush my teeth but it still sinks in I guess.

so, let me get this straight:

the £3000 fees and new payment provisions (if they get through parliament which it looks like they will) will be brought in in 2006. However, they will only apply to new students starting that year- so students already at uni (eg in years 2 and 3)will not be affected.

Is this right??
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
The Government is currently making changes to the funding system so if you are starting college or university in 2006 or later the system will look different.
ie the changes only apply to people STARTING a course in 2006
ruthiepoothie
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
ie the changes only apply to people STARTING a course in 2006
ok- i understand.
Thanks
Sorry for being so thick....
Ditzy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
(Original post by giblets)
I alsways find it amazing how so many NUS members are members of the labour party, had the Tories intorduced any of this there would ahve been riots, as it is there is a quiet, and polite, oh no I don't think that is a good idea, sad really.
Guess you didn't notice the people marching through the city centre yesterday then. Apparently in Sheffield 500 students took control of the town hall.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Guess you didn't notice the people marching through the city centre yesterday then. Apparently in Sheffield 500 students took control of the town hall.
Right, and how would skipping lessons/causing a riot/shouting/wasting money etc. change anything :rolleyes:
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i agree with the fees and the system being proposed to pay for them
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (233)
75.4%
No (76)
24.6%

Watched Threads