This discussion is closed.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ruthiepoothie)
so, let me get this straight:

the £3000 fees and new payment provisions (if they get through parliament which it looks like they will) will be brought in in 2006. However, they will only apply to new students starting that year- so students already at uni (eg in years 2 and 3)will not be affected.

Is this right??
Yes it is.

BTW: The bill has already been pased, it isn't a "maybe".
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Right, and how would skipping lessons/causing a riot/shouting/wasting money etc. change anything :rolleyes:
Its just showing that you don't agree with the changes, and it justified missing my 9 o'clock lecture
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ditzy blonde)
Its just showing that you don't agree with the changes, and it justified missing my 9 o'clock lecture
Yes, fair enough, but end of the day, the only person missing out is the protestors as they are the ones gonig to all that trouble and fuss for nothing - they are skipping important lesson time.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Yes it is.

BTW: The bill has already been pased, it isn't a "maybe".
There is still another vote and the Lords before it is passed IIRC - there might even be more votes than that.
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
With any luck, those applying for maths degrees in 2006 won't have to pay any fees.
Ditzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
With any luck, those applying for maths degrees in 2006 won't have to pay any fees.
Hmmm, not sure I agree with that. I afraid that people who actually wanted to do a maths degree would be denied a place because someone was just taking maths because it was cheap. That and the fact that I've had to pay so everyone else should too. If there are fewer maths grads it puts me at an advantage too from a purely selfish point of view!
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
There is still another vote and the Lords before it is passed IIRC - there might even be more votes than that.
Ahhh, interesting...

So despite all the news and threads that top-up fees are being introduced, they may not be? :confused:

But every1 said they were....
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Ahhh, interesting...

So despite all the news and threads that top-up fees are being introduced, they may not be? :confused:

it is probable that they will be passed i think as the government have such a big majority and overcame the biggest hurdle- which was the vote a few weeks ago, which they scraped through. i think they have more or less won the argument now...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Ahhh, interesting...

It all depends on if the government can get the bill through the Lords with enough time to rearrange everything that needs to be done

(Bearing in mind that final copy of most universities 2006 entry prospectus will have to be done by December 2004/Jan 05 at the latest - and that this is going to be the thing which will need to list what universities have decided to charge)

On another note I'd be very surprised if Physics, Chemistry and a lot of engineering courses didn't also get bursaries/fees reductions paid for by external bodies.
username9816
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
It all depends on if the government can get the bill through the Lords with enough time to rearrange everything that needs to be done

(Bearing in mind that final copy of most universities 2006 entry prospectus will have to be done by December 2004/Jan 05 at the latest - and that this is going to be the thing which will need to list what universities have decided to charge)

On another note I'd be very surprised if Physics, Chemistry and a lot of engineering courses didn't also get bursaries/fees reductions paid for by external bodies.
Thanks for the info Pencil Queen, didn't know that.

And thats good if they did reduce fees for Physics undergraduates, as I'm wanting to do a Physics degree!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (168)
24.74%
Better than expected (141)
20.77%
Worse than expected (370)
54.49%

Watched Threads