The Student Room Group

The Official "I've got the PERFECT combo of A-Levels!" thread!

Ok, first of all - this thread is NOT by any means is meant to offend anyone; it might be beneficial to people who are choosing their subjects at the moment and I hope it will not turn into a rude discussion of "you are wrong, subject A is ***". Please post your combination of subjects and the reason you think it's perfect (for you or for anyone)!

I think I've got a perfect combination of A-Levels:

Economics
History
Maths
German

Firstly, I love all of the above subjects!!
Secondly, I think this study makes me a more well-rounded individaul - a science (Maths), and essay-subject (History), a language and a social science (Economics).
Thirdly, I want to study Economics at Uni and I think that these subjects will prepare me best for the course.
Fourthly, these are all hard-core subjcets that are respected by universities.

:tsr2:

Scroll to see replies

tanusha-tomsk

Fourthly, these are all hard-core subjcets that are respected by all universities.

:bang:

I do all the Sciences, and Maths. Just because I love 'em! :biggrin: Also, I think it's good to be able to see how all the sciences link in to one-another, so it helps to explain everything around me a little bit better...
I do French, English lit, history and sociology, which for me is a perfect combination because I love languages and writing essays. It doesn't make me look well rounded, but I don't enjoy maths or the sciences and wouldn't get good grades in them, so there was no point taking them. All except sociology are very well-respected. They all link together very well, not just because I have to write essays in all of them, but because certain things I learn in sociology (eg Marxism) also crop up in history and English lit and vice versa.
Reply 3
i do english,french,german,business studies,economics and maths.
maths and economics are my favourite subjects,business studies is quite boring,i would not recommend to choose it.
mmh,german there is not much to say about,i just take the exams and assume i get an A.
french is ok if you constantly revise and learn.
if i could choose again now i would take physics,biology or history instead of bs.
Reply 4
I do maths chemistry biology spanish and theology :biggrin:
Reply 5
Mathematics, Physics, Economics & French. Perfect for economics at uni.
Reply 6
I do:
Maths
English Literature
Chemistry
History
Physics

I find this combination perfect for a few reasons. Firstly, it's a good mix of science and arts, which makes me look well rounded, keeps me interested, and keeps my options open in terms of degrees. They also link together pretty well, with history and english linking, maths and physics linking, and chem and physics link. They're also all strong, traditional, respected subjects.
Reply 7
bio chem french A2 and geog AS
because science, language, and essay-ish type :wink:
and my teachers are great, so i'm happy..! :wink:
Reply 8
Everyone is going to think they have the perfect combination of A-Levels because they chose them.
Reply 9
Nearly. I do Maths, Physics, Economics and Business Studies:rolleyes:
Reply 10
Is Maths really a science though? It's an odd one.

Anyway: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Art. Perfect for me.
Reply 11
glance
Is Maths really a science though? It's an odd one.

Yeah i'd consider it a science (just not a natural science). What else could it be...its definitely not an art, humanity, social science, etc, so i guess it falls in with sciences?:confused:
Reply 12
tanusha-tomsk
Ok, first of all - this thread is NOT by any means is meant to offend anyone; it might be beneficial to people who are choosing their subjects at the moment and I hope it will not turn into a rude discussion of "you are wrong, subject A is ***". Please post your combination of subjects and the reason you think it's perfect (for you or for anyone)!

Economics
History
Maths
German

Secondly, I think this study makes me a more well-rounded individaul - a science (Maths), and essay-subject (History), a language and a social science (Economics).
Thirdly, I want to study Economics at Uni and I think that these subjects will prepare me best for the course.

History
Government & Politics
English Literature

On the 'linguistics' point: sadly, I opted to curtail my edification in the field of 'Deutsch' post-GCSE; although it has since occurred to me that the study of English as a foreign language could well have proved fortuitous, given that most people (both on TSR and otherwise) appear to speak it as one.
Profesh
History
Government & Politics
English Literature

On the 'linguistics' point: sadly, I opted to curtail my edification in the field of 'Deutsch' post-GCSE; although it has since occurred to me that the study of English as a foreign language could well have proved fortuitous, given that most people (both on TSR and otherwise) appear to speak it as one.

An excellent point as always Profesh! I agree with you 100%, even if my language skills are nothing compared to yours...
Economics
Business
History
English Lit
I like all three of them. I want to take business economics at Uni so it kind of makes sense. And i have two essay a levels to prove i cant do some writing.
calderstonesLFC
Economics
Business
History
English Lit

I like all three of them. I want to take business economics at Uni so it kind of makes sense. And i have two essay a levels to prove i cant do some writing.

Four surely... Maybe you can write, but how's your addition? ^o) :p:
Well, i do biology, chemistry, maths and further maths. naturally i think this is the best combination. it's useful for what i want to do after A levels (maths or maybe possibly medicine) and is all proper hardcore subjects. and included further maths which is definately the best as it is really interesting, involves very little homework, means i have extra frees compared to other people taking 4 AS's, and everyone presumes that I'm a total genius! (i dont disullusion them, naturally.)all important factors to consider... :smile:
maths chem bio f. maths at A2. Standard maths chem bio for medicine plus f. maths because maths on its own is unfathomably dull. I did psychology last year to show I can write in full sentances and french this year to show I can speak in them!
Reply 18
Maths, Further Maths, French, Latin, Physics and studying Chinese. Weird mix really, not perfect but I don't make many posts so... This is really random, but in the Mock - Latin, missed out a 30 mark question because I forgot to turn over, how much of a dumbo am i?!? lol
Reply 19
tanusha-tomsk

Economics
History
Maths
German

i agree, this is a very good combination of subjects - probably cos I do similar ones :biggrin: :

Economics
History
Maths
Geography
Further Maths AS

My comb. would proabbly be better if I had a langauge though - like you :biggrin:

Latest