The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

What is mental health nursing like at Salford University?

Has anyone studied or is studying mental health nursing at salford univesity? I'd really like to know what its like. Practical information about the timetable, course, placements available ect would be great!

I cant wait to start the course!!! Very excited! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
when is it you start? im doing mental health nursing too. starting in march 2013 :smile:
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
I'd be interested in this answer too. I'll be starting in sept 2012 in the MA nursing (mental health). I've already studied and nursing course at Manchester Uni and I've chosen to go to Salford as I've heard that the staff facilities and programme are all miles better. At my interview i asked a lot of questions about the MA programme But I wouldn't be able to give specifics about anything to do with the undergrad. Is there anyone that can?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I'm a first year mental health @ Salford. The modules are good, bit tedious if you've just completed a college course in this area because it's a lot of refreshing about the basics in biology, infection control, communication etc to bring everyone up to the same level, but it's interesting. The first 2 modules are part of the common foundation programme so all nursing branches have lectures and seminars together, then the 3rd module in semester 3 which I'm just completing is the Introduction to your branch of nursing. There's plenty of work that gets set, directed studies and extra reading, but we were in uni on average 3-4 days a week, full days. But it varies from module to module. First module we had 2 weeks placement and a multiple choice question exam, second module 8 weeks placement and a group presentation/essay and this last module has 10 weeks placement (over summer, I'm in my 4th week of this lol) and a seen exam paper. Placements include things like Drug & Alcohol units, Rehab, CAMHS (child & adolescent MH), Acute hospital wards, Forensic (Edenfield Centre in Prestwich), Dementia care & elderly. You're supposed to get one of each placement with any 2 repeated over your 3 years, however some are unlucky and end up with 3 elderly placements in a row (Like me lol). You'll find all this out once you're on the course.

Hope this helps. and good luck!
Original post by Danniitb
I'd be interested in this answer too. I'll be starting in sept 2012 in the MA nursing (mental health). I've already studied and nursing course at Manchester Uni and I've chosen to go to Salford as I've heard that the staff facilities and programme are all miles better. At my interview i asked a lot of questions about the MA programme But I wouldn't be able to give specifics about anything to do with the undergrad. Is there anyone that can?

Hi, well done on getting in.
I am due to start the Bsc in mental health nursing in September 2012. But have just realised that as I already have a degree in Psychology, is it possible that I could just do the MA in mental health nursing too? As opposed to doing another degree. Also, do you have to pay for the masters yourself?

Many thanks, I'm so confused!
Reply 5
hey

I start in september. I was offered a place last week, does any one have any idea of term dates or reading lists x
Original post by flutterby23
Hi, well done on getting in.
I am due to start the Bsc in mental health nursing in September 2012. But have just realised that as I already have a degree in Psychology, is it possible that I could just do the MA in mental health nursing too? As opposed to doing another degree. Also, do you have to pay for the masters yourself?

Many thanks, I'm so confused!

In terms of paying for the masters...no you don't. You get the same funding that you would at undergrad.

I'm not sure if you can still apply for the MA but the person to call and ask would be Patric Devitt, the programme director on 0161 295 2773 or [email protected]

Also check out the website for all the entry requirements and details

Good luck x

In terms of paying for the masters...no you don't. You get the same funding that you would at undergrad.

I'm not sure if you can still apply for the MA but the person to call and ask would be Patric Devitt, the programme director on 0161 295 2773 or [email protected]

Also check out the website for all the entry requirements and details

Good luck x

Thank you for your help :smile:
Original post by geztival
I'm a first year mental health @ Salford. The modules are good, bit tedious if you've just completed a college course in this area because it's a lot of refreshing about the basics in biology, infection control, communication etc to bring everyone up to the same level, but it's interesting. The first 2 modules are part of the common foundation programme so all nursing branches have lectures and seminars together, then the 3rd module in semester 3 which I'm just completing is the Introduction to your branch of nursing. There's plenty of work that gets set, directed studies and extra reading, but we were in uni on average 3-4 days a week, full days. But it varies from module to module. First module we had 2 weeks placement and a multiple choice question exam, second module 8 weeks placement and a group presentation/essay and this last module has 10 weeks placement (over summer, I'm in my 4th week of this lol) and a seen exam paper. Placements include things like Drug & Alcohol units, Rehab, CAMHS (child & adolescent MH), Acute hospital wards, Forensic (Edenfield Centre in Prestwich), Dementia care & elderly. You're supposed to get one of each placement with any 2 repeated over your 3 years, however some are unlucky and end up with 3 elderly placements in a row (Like me lol). You'll find all this out once you're on the course.

Hi,
I'm glad you are enjoying your course so far. I was just wondering what times your lectures finished in the first year, the first few months of the course? I am due to start September 2012.
Thanks in advance x
Original post by geztival

Hi,
I just wanted to know what are the exams like? Please can i have more info on multiple choice exam and what is a 'seen' exam paper? Lol sorry to be dumb. Will you have more exams in year two? Do you do reflections? I start my second year in child branch in september, as before i took an interrup from the course and was on the old program. When i was on the old program in first year we only had one assignment and placement for each semester. I just can't believe how much its changed.

Thanks,
Hazeleyes786
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hazeleyes786
Hi,
I just wanted to know what are the exams like? Please can i have more info on multiple choice exam and what is a 'seen' exam paper? Lol sorry to be dumb. Will you have more exams in year two? Do you do reflections? I start my second year in child branch in september, as before i took an interrup from the course and was on the old program. When i was on the old program in first year we only had one assignment and placement for each semester. I just can't believe how much its changed.

Thanks,
Hazeleyes786

I'm guessing it would be hard to advise you on multiple choice questions and what the exams are like as that stuff is pretty relative to the knowledge base of the individual...but a 'seen' exam is just an exam you see the questions to beforehand, maybe a week in advance sometimes more

I'm guessing it would be hard to advise you on multiple choice questions and what the exams are like as that stuff is pretty relative to the knowledge base of the individual...but a 'seen' exam is just an exam you see the questions to beforehand, maybe a week in advance sometimes more

Thank you for the information.

I missed out on the first year of the new degree program because i was on the old program for first year (2010) and then went on an interrup. So i will be new to the Degree program in September 2012 for second year (child health). I would love it if someone coud give me a copy of their first year timetable so i know what has been covered for first year.

Thank you,
Hazeleyes786
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Could anyone give me some information regarding any maintenance loans and grant that are available for masters in mental health nursing. Any information would be grateful received :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending