Can you visit a university not on an open day? Watch

Lacus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi

I just wondered if you could walk into a university and ask for some information without it being an official open day?
Maxxi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, I went to Sheffield just this Thursday, I actually thought it was better than going to an open day as you see what it's really like, they haven't made any attempt to gloss it over, although you might not get to see accommodation etc. I was also lucky enough to literally bump into the admissions tutor for my course! Wow, I extended my answer, which could have been one word, yes
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes but theres the risk that the people you need to ask could be busy.
Lacus
Rep:
?
Thanks

I wanted to visit and get a feel for it so I hope that won't be a problem.
username306617
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lacus)
Hi

I just wondered if you could walk into a university and ask for some information without it being an official open day?
Better to phone in advance, and they can organise someone to show you around, but it's definitely doable.
(I'm a student ambassador so we sometimes get asked to show people around)
Lacus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Popppppy)
Better to phone in advance, and they can organise someone to show you around, but it's definitely doable.
(I'm a student ambassador so we sometimes get asked to show people around)
Thanks I'll phone and see if it's possible.
AndyBoughton
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah, I went to visit Lancaster University last Saturday. Someone couldnt show me around because it was a Saturday and they had their Roses 2012 University Battle against York. However you can walk around and look at the different aspects. Mainly the accomodation will be a no, but the sports, studentys union and library should be okay. I would email or phone the university in advance, stating what course you are potentially looking at and the date of your visit and ask if they can show you around, possibly someone from that course. This way it shows the University you are interesterd and they are more likely to arrange this for you. A draft email is below:

To whom it may concern,

My name is .......... and I am a student at ................. currently in year ... For my AS-Levels, I am taking ...................... and ..................with a view to carrying on .....................to A2 level.

I am interested in visiting the University of ............. on ................. 2012 and were wondering if you would be able to arrange for a student, preferably from Business Management (Finance) (UCAS code: N1N3) and from the Mathematics (BSc) (UCAS code: G100) to show us around the campus and the two departments as these are of a keen interest to us and we would like to know more about the course and the accomodation.

I look forward to hearing from you

Many Thanks

Hope this helps

Andy Boughton
zaliack
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, nothing would stop you. You could even sneak into one of the lectures (if you have a friend doing the course you want to do at the same university )
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is usually very little to stop you wandering around a whole university campus, if you just want to see the buildings. Indeed, I'm only aware of the medical building and libraries at Manchester having anything to stop randomers wandering in. There's also a visitor centre up here, where you can wander in and collect prospectuses etc.

However, it can be difficult to understand what goes on in a particular department when it's not an open day. I visited Loughborough when it wasn't an open day (I was already in the area) and tbh I got very little out of it - just an idea of what the campus looked like. I found the post-offer open day much more helpful - but only to confirm that I really didn't want to go there!

A lot of universities also do guided tours, run by students, on Wednesday afternoons, which may or may not be department-specific. Perhaps this would be a good option?
UniofReading
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
**Please note our student ambassadors are using this account to reply to threads!**

As well as our open days at the University of Reading (The next ones are Saturday 27th September and Saturday 25th October) we also run campus tour every other Wednesday as well as self guided tours.
Please check out the link below!
Amy
(2nd year Speech and Language Therapy Student)

https://www.reading.ac.uk/life/life-campustour.aspx
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by UniofReading - Phil)
**Please note our student ambassadors are using this account to reply to threads!**

As well as our open days at the University of Reading (The next ones are Saturday 27th September and Saturday 25th October) we also run campus tour every other Wednesday as well as self guided tours.
Please check out the link below!
Amy
(2nd year Speech and Language Therapy Student)

https://www.reading.ac.uk/life/life-campustour.aspx
This thread is 2 years old
Me-llamo-naomi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This post really helped me and I’m 6 years late. This post was originally made when I was in primary school and I’m now about to start uni next September.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (339)
60.43%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.17%