The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TRS-T
Surprised that this has not got more coverage.

Disgraceful behaviour from the Liverpool fans.

What kind of idiotic fan boos their own national anthem?

Typical arrogant Scousers (and plastic Liverpool fans who copy the Scousers)

Maybe we should play the Norwegian anthem for them next time.

Might be more relevant to their fanbase :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also how disrespectful is Jose Enrique doing warm-ups during the national anthem :angry:

its not disrespectful where not english where scouse

the country turns its back on us for generations and expects us to just forgive and forget and sing there national anthem i dont think so mate

what disrespectful is lowering peoples pay out sourcing there jobs and beating them to an inch of life for standing up for themselves

whats disrespectful is covering up the murder of 96 people and accepting a its there own fault mentality while hiding evidence which may prove otherwise in a fancy office

whats disrespectful is claiming a city should be abandoned when you where placed in charge to help the very peopel your where deciding to abandon.

England can go **** itself
(edited 11 years ago)
meh, I don't like the Royal Family and I despise the notion that a person has elevated status amongst the population by birthright.

However I recognise that the royal family bring added value to tourists and so getting rid of them would [probably] have a noticable affect on the tourism trade, particularly [and obviously] in those who come to London to see the royal family. The British family are massively popular, as proven by the 1 billion viewing figures of last years' royal wedding.

Basically we are stuck with the Royal Family until society outgrows imperialism and the remaining relics of it.
Original post by Organ
...the royal family arse lickers who live in South East England.

Hey don't tar us all with the same brush :angry:

I live in the South East of England (through no choice of my own) and I'm staunchly anti-monarchist.
Original post by Mr Disco
...?

God save our Gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen.

I could go on.

When a song rhymes Queen with Queen it in its opening lines you can be pretty sure that the Queen features quite heavily in it.

What I mean is that an anthem symbolises national pride, not just what the words talk about.

For example the American anthem is about more than just a flag.
Reply 84
Original post by Chucklefiend
Hey don't tar us all with the same brush :angry:

I live in the South East of England (through no choice of my own) and I'm staunchly anti-monarchist.

Haha I don't. I was referring to the royal family fanbois :wink:

Original post by madders94
I love Jerusalem and also "I Vow To Thee My Country", no idea why we can't have one of those as the Great Britain national anthem for the Olympics instead of GSTQ.

Hmm, I wonder what pains Welsh republicans more? Having to sing GSTQ or having to sing a song about England's green and pleasant land :wink: I vow to thee my country is a great idea and it could be a personal thing as well - it doesn't big up an individual like the Queen, and it doesn't big up one single nation in the union. Plus it sounds x9999 better than that awful droning GSTQ.
Reply 85
Original post by TRS-T
Surprised that this has not got more coverage.

Disgraceful behaviour from the Liverpool fans.

What kind of idiotic fan boos their own national anthem?

Typical arrogant Scousers (and plastic Liverpool fans who copy the Scousers)

Maybe we should play the Norwegian anthem for them next time.

Might be more relevant to their fanbase :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also how disrespectful is Jose Enrique doing warm-ups during the national anthem :angry:

Couldn't give a damn. I'm glad they booed it - it's a s*** national anthem anyway. get a life OP!
Reply 86
Most northern cities have been systematically ignored by central government.
Original post by Left Hand Drive
I think just about every team in the SPL boo it apart from Rangers fans the only ones to sing it.

When is it ever played in SPL matches?
Original post by Cyanohydrin
When is it ever played in SPL matches?

When Rangers fans sing it I mean.
Original post by Left Hand Drive
When Rangers fans sing it I mean.

Oh yeah. Well we won't have to listen to that rabble for much longer anyway :wink:
Reply 90
half the players in the Final weren't even English, so not sure quite what the point of it is.
They're from Liverpool, who gives a flying ****?
Reply 92
Original post by bluenose14
What I mean is that an anthem symbolises national pride, not just what the words talk about.

For example the American anthem is about more than just a flag.

I'd find it pretty hard to be in full on patriot mode if the national anthem was the Hokey Cokey, same principal! Despite being a patriot, I can't actually sing the national anthem on accounts of it being a song about a single aristocratic old woman in which we will her to 'reign over us' ever longer!
Reply 93
Original post by Mr Disco
...?

God save our Gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen.

I could go on.

When a song rhymes Queen with Queen it in its opening lines you can be pretty sure that the Queen features quite heavily in it.

My favourite post ever :biggrin:
Reply 94
If they were England, fair enough. I believe players playing for their country should sing it, but tbh now there's just not much point. Now it just seems more of a national thing than it is.

But considering the FA insist on having it between two teams who wouldn't be where they are without people from other countries, from a league made up of primarily foreign players, it seems stupid.

Chelsea had 3 English players starting. That's like, 8 who wouldn't be singing it anyway.

Suppose the fans took the same stance.
To be fair to them, it is one of the worst national anthem's in the world.

Nothing to do with me not wanting a monarchy. Nor to do with the fact I don't believe in God.

Its just so ****ing dull. I think thats why we do so badly in the international scene. Other anthems inspire their players, whereas ours puts our players to sleep.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
GSTQ isn't a national anthem. It mentions nothing about the country.
Why should anybody be forced to sing a national anthem (especially one that isn't actually an official one)?
Reply 98
Original post by TRS-T
But booing it is very disrespectful to our country.

Personally I sang over it and to be honest it was the only part of the day I enjoyed. Let's be honest the media would have had a go at us over something else like not joining in with waving the plastic flags the FA generously donated. Anyway...I'm sure that the members of one of the world's most privileged families will survive the hardship they went through.
Reply 99
As a Liverpool fan I completely agree. Forget it being disrespectful, it was bizarrely stupid...

Latest