Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To what extent does doing an extra year in college harm your university application? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm quite pessimistic at the moment that I'm going to achieve high grades in all four of my AS levels, however I'm confident I'm going to attain two A grades (History and Politics).

I'm not particularly bothered about the time commitment of retaking an AS year, but more-so how it will affect my chances of getting into a good unversity (perhaps top fifteen or so?). I was planning to pick up two new AS levels (since I despise Geography and Literature, hence why I'm likely to get a D-C level grade) and carry on History and Politics at A level. Then, the year after carry the other two AS levels onto A level, and pick up some more AS levels and perhaps even attempt to continue Literature at A level.

So in total I would hopefully get:

Mathematics AS
    Sociology A level
    Law A level
    (some other AS)
    History A level
    Politics A level
    Literature AS (mediocre grade)
    Geography AS (mediocre grade)
    (perhaps carry on Literature to A level)

I was wondering whether this is a good idea, and how it would affect my chances of gaining entry into a good university for a course such as Politics+History, PPE and such.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Say goodbye to the following:

LSE, Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial

ReputationRep:
    Well I started a BTEC and then left it a few months in. The following September I started a different BTEC and I was given an offer by every university I applied to as I'm finishing the second BTEC next month and I applied to good universities. Obviously doesn't really have that much of an effect and your reason seems way better than mine AND you're doing A Levels. If I got accepted anyway on an unfinished and soon to be finished BTEC I doubt you'll have any issues.

the first poster that said say goodbye to those top universities, I can't say they're incorrect because I didn't apply to those ones but you don't really have to worry all that much.

ReputationRep:
    In the same situation just that quite different as I am doing 2 years A levels in maths economics Business Physical Education and a year of GCSEs before i do them so Ill be doing 3 years in college the reason for the 3 years is because I chose btecs in school and they are worthless so am doing 5 GCSE subjects Maths All the sciences and Psychology I allready have a GCSE in english and maths from school anyway so that would leave me with 6 GCSEs and BTECs in Sport ICT and Business whats the chances of me going to a good university to do Accounting and Finance because ill be a year older than the people applying for the same course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.