1 minute silence!! load of rubbish

Watch
This discussion is closed.
visual123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
the world says that we need to to 1 minute silence for the soldiers that died in war ( i raq) Boy the american killed more innocent ppl then thier actullay enemy

here we are standing for a minute silence, thinkinf of the soldiers,
they had a choice to fight or not!!!

why dont we have a 1 minute silence for the innocent ppl
m00se
Report 16 years ago
Amen to that visual123...

The two superpowers responsible for this war have the blood of over 12,000 innocent iraqi civilians on their hands. Let's not forget that...

...but then if we had silence for those foreign darkie civilians killed in wars instigated by large powers, most major countries wouldn't say a word for decades.

Probably be a good thing :P
Timmy Tapeworm
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't see the point in 1 minute silences myself. There are family members I would much rather give a silence too - not some dead person who I've never met. Hell, they didn't even know I existed and I would hate it if someone I never knew paid respects to me after my death. I think these sort of things should be between family and friends only.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by visual123)
the world says that we need to to 1 minute silence for the soldiers that died in war ( i raq) Boy the american killed more innocent ppl then thier actullay enemy

What we should also not forget is that those soldier swore to obey the orders that thier commanders gave them for the good of thier country. For most people (I'll assume that you are not one of them), taking this kind of oath is not done lightly and therefore they would have been obligated to fight whether they agreed with the cause or not. The suggestion of a minute silence was in order to remember and recognise all those who gave thier lives in service, this concept has no "you versus us" element, it is the simple appreciation of the fact that someone was willing to lay down thier life for what someone else (who they are sworn to obey) said it was the right thing to do. I find it appauling that you are willing to overlook this simple fact, instead you prefer to take the seemingly all too fashionable approach and ignore the sacrifice of so many servicemen...
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by m00se)
Amen to that visual123...

The two superpowers responsible for this war have the blood of over 12,000 innocent iraqi civilians on their hands. Let's not forget that...

...but then if we had silence for those foreign darkie civilians killed in wars instigated by large powers, most major countries wouldn't say a word for decades.

Probably be a good thing :P
Let's not forget the countless civilian deaths under the regime before we got involved...
SHANDY
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
What we should also not forget is that those soldier swore to obey the orders that thier commanders gave them for the good of thier country. For most people (I'll assume that you are not one of them), taking this kind of oath is not done lightly and therefore they would have been obligated to fight whether they agreed with the cause or not. The suggestion of a minute silence was in order to rember all those who gave thier lives in service, this concept has no "you versus us" element, it is the simple appreciation of the fact that someone was willing to lay down thier life for what someone else (who they are sworn to obey) said it was the right thing to do. I find it appauling that you are willing to overlook this simple fact, instead you prefer to take the seemingly all too fashionable approach and ignore the sacrifice of so many servicemen...
Yes that is true but no one really cares about these 1 minute silences, every time we have it there are always people laughing and giggling, I know that is disrespect and all, I don't laugh and all, I show respect.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What we should also not forget is that those soldier swore to obey the orders that thier commanders gave them for the good of thier country. For most people (I'll assume that you are not one of them), taking this kind of oath is not done lightly and therefore they would have been obligated to fight whether they agreed with the cause or not. The suggestion of a minute silence was in order to remember and recognise all those who gave thier lives in service, this concept has no "you versus us" element, it is the simple appreciation of the fact that someone was willing to lay down thier life for what someone else (who they are sworn to obey) said it was the right thing to do. I find it appauling that you are willing to overlook this simple fact, instead you prefer to take the seemingly all too fashionable approach and ignore the sacrifice of so many servicemen...
Well said!
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SHANDY)
Yes that is true but no one really cares about these 1 minute silences, every time we have it there are always people laughing and giggling, I know that is disrespect and all, I don't laugh and all, I show respect.
There really is nothing lower than belittling the appreciation of those who gave so much...
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Let's not forget the countless civilian deaths under the regime before we got involved...
Well said again! I bet it was slightly more than the overinflated 12000 quoted above as well.
Amb1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

The idea of a silence is to show respect. You can actually think about anything you want - soldiers that fought for us in any war, innocent people, family members... It's just to spare a thought for them thats all. Have a little dignity!!
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Well said again! I bet it was slightly more than the overinflated 12000 quoted above as well.
Yes the actual figure will be massively lower than that tripe. The only reason people (usually students and other psudo-political idiots) band numbers like that about is to justify thier pathetic protests etc... I bet you wouldn't have found many of them being interested back in 1990-92 when we began to uncover the regime in Iraq. They would almost certainly have been in the "too far away to care and not alternative enough cause" to bother about doing anything back then!!!
lumpycustard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just to show respct really isnt it
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There really is nothing lower than belittling the appreciation of those who gave so much...
... or ignoring those caught in the cross-fire?
visual123
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
i understand why ppl do the one minute silence but why cant we hsow respect for the innocent ppl who died
what makes it even more worse is to the fact that it wasnt a just cause to go into iraq for oil
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
... or ignoring those caught in the cross-fire?
If your suggesting that Im ignoring the civilian casualties then I reccomend you re-read my posts. Simply because I have not mentioned the them (too busy shooting down pathetic viewpoints) does not mean that I don't recognise them as the tradgic events that they are!!!
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If your suggesting that Im ignoring the civilian casualties then I reccomend you re-read my posts. Simply because I have not mentioned the them (too busy shooting down pathetic viewpoints) does not mean that I don't recognise them as the tradgic events that they are!!!
I'm referring to these 1 minute silences that "remember the soldiers". Surely a more apt title would be "those who lost their lives"?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes the actual figure will be massively lower than that tripe. The only reason people (usually students and other psudo-political idiots) band numbers like that about is to justify thier pathetic protests etc... I bet you wouldn't have found many of them being interested back in 1990-92 when we began to uncover the regime in Iraq. They would almost certainly have been in the "too far away to care and not alternative enough cause" to bother about doing anything back then!!!

Or maybe we were too young? I was six during the first Gulf War and I thought planes were going to fly over and bomb us I didn't realise how far away Iraq actually was.

I was anti this war, though I think it's great that we got rid of the regime. I think Hussein should have been finished off 10 years ago, but I don't think it was right to suddenly declare war, 10 years after the fact and on the premise that he had 'weapons of mass destruction' which have still not been found. Yes, he was abusing his people horribly. He was doing that before the first Gulf War, why didn't we get rid of him then? What about Mugabe? Why haven't we invaded Zimbabwe? I'm not particularly convinced by all the conspiracy theories about America being after the oil, but I do think that Blair and Bush were enjoying playing policemen, especially after the popularity that Bush especially appeared to gain after Afghanistan.

But I would support a silence for our soldiers. They were doing their job, and they did it damned well under difficult circumstances. We should be very proud of them, and of the guys who are still out there trying to sort out a bad situation.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i understand why ppl do the one minute silence but why cant we hsow respect for the innocent ppl who died
Is someone stopping you?

You realise you arguement is similar to trying to argue that a charity for X doesn't exist and so charities to help Y are a "load of rubbish"
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I'm referring to these 1 minute silences that "remember the soldiers". Surely a more apt title would be "those who lost their lives"?
Ahhh very good point, I agree completely!!!
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if no-one cres about minutes silences then why does most of the country stop on rememberence day. It's not that hard to show respect to people that lost their lives to keep out coutnry safe.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (144)
37.21%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.27%
Look for a job (13)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.39%
Take a year out (67)
17.31%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.46%

Watched Threads