Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I'm referring to these 1 minute silences that "remember the soldiers". Surely a more apt title would be "those who lost their lives"?
    I've always known remeberance day as exactly the latter. Perhaps that's because of my parents/schools.

I am glad we stop and remember for one minute each year (not much to ask really, is it?). My granddad fought in the war and at one point he was face-to-face with the enemy and knew that if he didn't kill the other boy, he would be killed. I often think about that boy, and that if my granddad had died rather than him I wouldn't be alive.

I was working one year and I remember everyone stopped and one customer came up to my till and when I didn't serve her she got really nasty and started shouting at me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Let's not forget the countless civilian deaths under the regime before we got involved...
    Yes, there were plenty of civilian deaths under the old regime, agreed. You must, however, remember that that does NOT excuse or justify further violence on our (and the US') part and the causing of yet more deaths. Two wrongs != right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m00se)
    Yes, there were plenty of civilian deaths under the old regime, agreed. You must, however, remember that that does NOT excuse or justify further violence on our (and the US') part and the causing of yet more deaths. Two wrongs != right.
    I disagree. Violence can be justified. That 7-12 thousand people civilians lie dead now must surely be preferable to perhaps 100 thousand civilians dying over the next 5-10 years under the old regime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I disagree. Violence can be justified. That 7-12 thousand people civilians lie dead now must surely be preferable to perhaps 100 thousand civilians dying over the next 5-10 years under the old regime.
    100,000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    100,000?
    Well, I'm really just throwing a figure in the air (like everybody else actually!) but Sadaam's power was dynastic and would have passed on his death to one of his sons.

Let's assume Saddam bumped off political opposition/Kurds/Shia fundamentals at a steady rate of 10000 a year (I don't know if this is accurate but have heard it bandied about) and the whole dynasty continued for another 30 years before being toppled by whatever means.

Then surely the 7-12 thousand killed in ridding Iraq of the dynasty is better than a further 300000 dying over the next 30 years.

Sure, I'm just playing with numbers but I don't think it's an unreasonable assessment.

It's a bit like gangreen really. I can cut your foot off now or your leg off later. Your choice.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.