Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

June 2010, physics 4 question 11 Watch

ReputationRep:
    The question is about F=BILsin(theta). There is a wire with a current of 4A, length 0.05m, going through a magnetic field. This is on top of a balance and gives a reading of 0.8 'gram'. It then asks us to calculate the average flux density along the length of the wire.

I went about this by saying that 0.8 grams is 0.8x10^-3 Kg. and that this represents a force of (0.8x10^-3)/9.8 N (using F=mg)

I then substitue everything into F=BIL (It's at right angles) and get '4.08 x10^-4'.
    =>
    (0.8x10^-3 / 9.8) / (0.05 * 4)

Looking at the markscheme, it just says that it is 0.04T. And i can't see why i am a factor of 100 out.

Please help :/

ReputationRep:
    I worked it out in the end. Silly mistake on my part. I quoted F = mg and then in my calculations, and trust me i have no idea why, i did F = m/g. Durrr.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.